Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Double question - Campagnolo cassette plus tyre compatibility

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-19-14, 12:44 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

I'm planning on building up a road bike and have been offeyred some stuff for the build inc. modern Tiagra groupset and a pair of older wheels in great condition - Campagnolo Record hubs & cassette/Mavic CXP30 rims

Question 1. Are there any compatibility issues with Shimano mechs/shifters & Campagnolo cassettes.

Question 2. Can I fit 700x28c tyres on 622-13 rims. It's just outside Sheldon's recommended sizes, but I understand there is some room for manoeuvre with sizes.
Old 08-19-14, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
1) I think you will need a Jtek "Shiftmate" .

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-19-14, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Campy / Shimano incompatibility is not a good way to start a build. Choose your brand and stick with it.
Old 08-19-14, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Wouldn't the compatibility issues be between shifters & derailleurs, & not between derailleurs and cassette?
Old 08-19-14, 02:07 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Wouldn't the compatibility issues be between shifters & derailleurs, & not between derailleurs and cassette?
In an indexed shifting system the distance the deraileur moves is a combination of the shifter's pull ratio and the dérailleur's actuation ratio. One variable is as important as the other.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycle...ing_Dimensions

Last edited by Al1943; 08-19-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-19-14, 02:09 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Unfortunately, center-to-center cog spacing and overall cassette widths differ between the makes. For Campagnolo 10- and 11-speed, the c-c spacing even varies.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Frame and Cassette Spacing Crib Sheet
Old 08-19-14, 02:26 PM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Question 2. Can I fit 700x28c tyres on 622-13 rims. It's just outside Sheldon's recommended sizes, but I understand there is some room for manoeuvre with sizes.
Yes, 700x28 tires can be used on narrow rims. I'm using that tire size on Mavic Open Pro rims ATM with great success. The only situation is that it helps to have two brake QR so that the caliper opens far enough to get the inflated tire through the brake. I use Shimano calipers and Campagnolo levers, and there's a QR on each. Alternatively, some Tektro calipers open wider with just the caliper QR.
Old 08-19-14, 02:44 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It may be possible to replace the freehub part of the Campy hub with a Shimano compatible freehub without having to rebuild the rear wheel. To see is this is possible contact the hub manufacturer with the hub's serial number. If the rear hub is Campy contact Branford bikes.

A word of tire size caution. Some road bike frames will not accept 28 mm tires due to the geometry of the rear triangle. In some cases the chainstays are so short that a 28 or even a 25 mm tire will not clear the chainstay / bottom bracket joint. When you have your frame you can test for this by borrowing a friend's rear wheel.
Old 08-19-14, 03:53 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks. I want to keep things simple so it looks like I'll avoid using the Campagnolo/Mavic wheels and stick with wheels with a Shimano freehub & cassette. Pity, they look good, but the complete Tiagra groupset is almost new (and free).

Luckily the frame I have in mind does have adequate clearance for 28c tyres.
Old 08-19-14, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a Miche 10-speed cassette that fits on a Shimano-splined freehub but has Campy spacing. I believe they have one that goes the other way around, which is what you'd need.
Old 08-19-14, 04:27 PM

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Thanks. I want to keep things simple so it looks like I'll avoid using the Campagnolo/Mavic wheels and stick with wheels with a Shimano freehub & cassette. Pity, they look good, but the complete Tiagra groupset is almost new (and free).

Luckily the frame I have in mind does have adequate clearance for 28c tyres.
Depending on the position of the drillings for the brakes, you may also have clearance issues with 28s under the brake arches - a narrow rim allows the tyres to "balloon" more so they end up higher profile and wider than they would on a wider rim ... if you can I'd do a dry run before committing too far, it might be a plan. We tried to run 28s on some of team bikes we were involved with on a Pave ride earlier in the year - loads of room on the frame, damn' all on the (Shimano Ultegra) brakes ...
Old 08-19-14, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts
It really depends how many sprockets you have and how well you want it to shift.

In practical terms, service wheels get jammed into bikes and the 10s Campag cassettes will work in the mid-range OK with 10s Shimano systems and vice versa.

If you are prepared to put up with relatively poor shifts at the extremities and quite a bit of careful set-up and are familiar with the job, then both hybrids can work just about tolerably (well, I guess that depends on your definition of "tolerable" - I wouldn't do it but I have been press-ganged into "making it work" for others) but as others have stated, you really are best sticking with one system - then shifting will be as slick as you like and there will never be doubt in your mind ...