Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Biking Newbie Help thread #1112 - Help me cut weight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I apologize right away as I have not ready any stickies before joining this forum.
I know that I am 6'3" 225lbs so A 60 cm frame should fit me correct? (I have some extra weight to burn from bulking)
I am looking to purchase a new bike after giving my little brother my old bike as he heads off to college.
I am would like to get into cycling for exercise, primarily riding on the weekends maybe 1 time during the weekdays. I do not really care to learn very much about bikes I just want a nice bike to ride that will be consistent for cardio as I dislike running because of my bad knee. What do you guys think about the bikes below or do you have another suggestion within this price range of the below bikes. I like to buy used items as they have already depreciated in value compared to performance but I could be wrong here in the cycling world. Again I appreciate any help you bicycling enthusiasts have to offer and any criticism due to my ignorance of cycling will be accepted, heard, taken to heart.

Scott Metrix 40 Bike - 2014 at REI.com
*Light Road Bike *Novara Strada* Like New
58 CM Trek USPS edition aluminum road bike Ultegra
Old 08-27-14, 11:17 PM

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buying a used bike can be a coin toss if you are not familiar with the mechanics, both bikes you listed look fine in pictures, but be prepared to buy new parts in the near future. Obviously you will have to spend more to buy a new bike, but REI seems to have decent customer service, going to a local bike shop is probably your best bet if you are serious about getting what you need and aren't interested in doing a lot of research.

And Read The Stickies
Old 08-27-14, 11:44 PM

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a 58-60cm "should" fit you.

I am 6'2 and found a year end 56cm bike that I have "made" work

My next bike will probably be a 58 again.
Old 08-28-14, 10:16 AM

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
The Novara looks pretty good. Might want a higher spoke-count on that back wheel to support a big dude, but that may be splitting hairs.

That USPS Trek is a 54 or 56, definitely not a 58. Decent bike, but not your size.

Stay away from the flat bars like on that Scott..

Look for stuff at least 9-speed (count up the rings in the back) or 10-speed.

You probably want to look for a 60 at your size, all things being equal.

Check used bikes you find versus Bicycle Blue Book - Used Bikes to determine if the price is somewhere near reasonable.

Be sure to allocate funds for things like shoes, cleats, water bottles, extra tubes, new tires, tubes, flat repair kits, under-seat bags, etc. It can all add-up quickly.

Post more CL finds here and folks will chime in.
Old 08-28-14, 10:53 AM

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess from my POV you will probably be happier with the flat bar hybrid bike if you will not ride much. There is a break in process where the seat of the cyclist breaks into the pressure from the saddle, and your intended use will not really let you ever accomplish that.

The road bike is IMHO intended more for a person devoting more time to cycling.

That is just my .02, and maybe others have road bikes and ride at your intended activity level and will totally disagree :-).

One thing I have learned shopping bikes is that every Bike shop so far offers some incentives included with the purchase, and offers others for sale, and each shop differs.

The shop where I have pretty much decided to buy my bike offers free fitting for life using a Guru system, anything other than simple saddle height setup and a few other helps at many others shops runs $120-$250 with the $250 end being a Retul fit.

The same shop that had a $120 fit however offered free tune ups for the first year at a level that they charge $49 per visit for customers who did not buy the bike there.

So make sure to consider the whole value structure to a purchase.......some shops offer 10% or some other amount off all accy you buy at the same time as the bike.

Again just my .02 but from my 1236 miles since June 1 2014 on a non suspension 24 speed hybrid with 700x35 tires IMHO something like that will fit your needs quite well.

From what I have read REI's are highly variable, some are really really good on the skill level and customer service....others may not be as nice......FWIW Performance Bike is a competitor that may be local to you as well....similar pricing and "club membership" incentives.

But for sure shop around and see what kind of retailer fits you best, and gives you the most bang for your buck.

Bill
Old 08-28-14, 11:46 AM
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb1987
I have not ready any stickies before joining this forum.
I do not really care to learn very much about bikes
Just get a Walmart bike.

S

Last edited by Slackerprince; 08-28-14 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-28-14, 04:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay I'll post some more craigslist. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I think I should be able to tell if the bike is in working condition or not, but I may be wrong.

Re-reading my post I may have been a little unclear about my intent of use. I am looking for a bike that would suit me if I decide I like biking and I may split my time more evenly between lifting and biking. I am not looking for a Walmart bike - I had a pretty decent GT mountain bike before and am no looking to downgrade or else I would not have taken the time to seek advice from enthusiasts who are prepared to give me good information on a decent quality bike for fitness use.

How about this one, too many dimensions I couldn't tell if it was my size, also is the price fair what do you guys think?

Specialized Allez Sport aluminum frame 2x9 new wheels
Old 08-28-14, 04:10 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....what do you guys think?...
Not such a good idea...

Last edited by gc3; 08-28-14 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
$250

Okay I'll post some more craigslist. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I think I should be able to tell if the bike is in working condition or not, but I may be wrong.

Re-reading my post I may have been a little unclear about my intent of use. I am looking for a bike that would suit me if I decide I like biking and I may split my time more evenly between lifting and biking. I am not looking for a Walmart bike - I had a pretty decent GT mountain bike before and am no looking to downgrade or else I would not have taken the time to seek advice from enthusiasts who are prepared to give me good information on a decent quality bike for fitness use.

How about this one, too many dimensions I couldn't tell if it was my size, also is the price fair what do you guys think?

Old 08-28-14, 04:25 PM

Nope, ad says it's a 56. Way too small for you, probably. Without getting ridiculously detailed about it (and people will...) you should figure out whether a 58 or 60 is your size. I'd think a 60, but I'm just some guy on the internet and know nothing more than your very general dimensions... So.. Once you have a bike or two that seem decent, go try them out (like that Novara) and you'll know if they are your size (or could be with a few minor adjustments (seat post, stem orientation, etc.)
Old 08-28-14, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 Cannondale R600
CARBON FIBER TREK 5200 RACING BIKE
Old 08-29-14, 10:23 AM

The R600 looks good but offer HALF that price. Maybe $300 if the tires are in usable shape.

The Trek is okay, but carbon that old makes me nervous. I'd skip it.