Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 06:04 PM
dam this is fun !

Bikes: Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 32flavours
Am I allowed to tell Andrew that you're into him?
Maky is my Bro
Old 04-23-06, 06:05 PM
Spy Member

Bikes: I have 2 of them,1 with fat tires & 1 with skinny tires & A Ninja 650

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polly what are you doing down there buying a bike don’t you have over 100 or more. We were standing around for over an hour 10:15ish to 11:30ish dint see you.
The CBN thing it is what it is be happy its even there. Same for the Mec swap. Good time’s great day & some sore legs.
Cheers
Riding on the path with absolutely no one around (except 2 one fixed) is nice for a change.
Old 04-23-06, 06:13 PM
VELOTAKU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Polly was the fat bearded guy named Neil by any chance? If so I think I know who you are talking about and I share your rage.

And it is all true: I am a peach, single AND Steeker's bro (in the non-literal sense of the word).

Andrew
Old 04-23-06, 06:53 PM
dam this is fun !

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
veteran_youth I still think you should ride the Niagra Falls run on your fixie.
Old 04-23-06, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweep242

SEZ:::

Polly what are you doing down there buying a bike don’t you have over 100 or more. We were standing around for over an hour 10:15ish to 11:30ish dint see you.
The CBN thing it is what it is be happy its even there. Same for the Mec swap.

--- MEC IS a bunch of hippie yuppies that drive around in SUVs and think they are doing the world good. In reality MEC only sees things from an enviromental view, if that at all. In a way they are like a BIG WALMART to certain other retailers, they fail to see the social impact they have or econimic dishevelment they cause.
But hug a tree and all is forgiven.

To answer your question, I have 300 bikes give or take because I have been selling alot lately. I was dressed in orange tinted sunglasses, blue leather trenchcoat blue jeans, top of the line GAERNE footwear.

veteran_youth

SEZ ;;;;

Hey Polly was the fat bearded guy named Neil by any chance? If so I think I know who you are talking about and I share your rage.

--- yES andrew I think his name is Neil. Last time I saw him he was outside the original location of my shop, sporting quite an impressive beer gut. His female companion who seemed to be possible his girlfriend, seemed to have more of interest in my physique then his. I guess that was back when I was teaching spin class dunno.

Now this tactless f--- basically said "hey polly, well ya our bikes got ripped so we thought maybe.. not that im accusing you but you know maybe you might have picked them up"

In anycase, of course I didnt have them. He explained how " well see the bikes were loaned to us cause we are cycling embassadors" Right more like cycling Ass-adors.

Being someone that has had to work for everything I have im not impressed when people are given things and then are careless with them.

So what did Ass-ador Neil do to piss you off browski?

Neil gets privledge of being "****** of the day" **** wish I had his picture.. f--ing ultra-******. 24 karat ******.

Um listen folks check this attachment its a horizonatl dropout with I think an eyelet. How would you feel if I made available "db crmo" 700c frames with these dropouts instead of fork ends (ie track dropouts?)
It would leave the option to run gears on the frame, with a bolt on oldskool derailler hanger..

Thoughts? It would probably make for a fairly cheap frame and fork (sub $200 cdn.. maybe even $150)
Attached Images
File Type: gif
dropf-nohang.gif (34.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-23-06, 07:55 PM
Me talk pretty one day.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems there's too much focus on just getting the price down. Show me features. Assume I have "enough" money to by a frameset and give me reason enough to buy your's.
Old 04-23-06, 08:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eyefloater SEZZZZ::

It seems there's too much focus on just getting the price down. Show me features. Assume I have "enough" money to by a frameset and give me reason enough to buy your's.

-- Benefits of going with those dropouts. Easier wheel removal, ability to run a derailler if you wish to. Lower
end consumer cost.
Those are also features...

It dawned on me no-one is making a frame with those dropouts yet alot of fixed gear bikes are made around frames using them and they look great. Whens the last time you had to fix a flat on a frame with fork ends on it? I know I had to within the last few weeks and its annoying.
Old 04-23-06, 08:11 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polly those tuning folk dropouts are sexy.
Old 04-23-06, 08:30 PM
Spy Member

Bikes: I have 2 of them,1 with fat tires & 1 with skinny tires & A Ninja 650

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
paul_in_toronto says
orange tinted sunglasses, blue leather trenchcoat blue jeans, top of the line GAERNE footwear.

So now your a bicycle pimp?
LOL
Old 04-23-06, 08:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes I like the tuning for dropouts too.

But now im hellbent on given the world a good quality cheap fixie frame. I have another dropout opetion too, that would be very trick and inexpensive.

The reality is I will sell the majority at wholesale to other shop owners. But im curious to get feed back along the design process.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" A ****** in the hand, .. well lets not go there."
Old 04-23-06, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Jet, how much would you want for your Miele and what size is it? Just curious. I wonder who ended up with that nice orange frame... if I was 4 inches taller I'd have way more frames to choose from. Damn shortness. Nice seeing all you folks.
Hrm, I hadn't really thought about it but I think the frame might be too small for you if that orange one was too short. I think it is a 54, but I am not 100% sure. There is a photo of it here:

Old 04-23-06, 09:22 PM

Oh, forgot to ask; cavit8, did the $600 Miyata sell?
Old 04-23-06, 09:29 PM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paul_in_toronto
Um listen folks check this attachment its a horizonatl dropout with I think an eyelet. How would you feel if I made available "db crmo" 700c frames with these dropouts instead of fork ends (ie track dropouts?)
It would leave the option to run gears on the frame, with a bolt on oldskool derailler hanger..

Thoughts? It would probably make for a fairly cheap frame and fork (sub $200 cdn.. maybe even $150)
i prefer forward facing dropouts on a fixie. easier to remove a wheel, more convenient for use with fenders, no need to adjust your rear brake when adjusting chain tension (if you run a rear brake). but at that price, i'd just as soon shop around for older lugged race frame. plus, if those are stamped dropouts there might be a durability issue. just my $0.02.
Old 04-23-06, 09:29 PM
track-fall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jet-

Actually, I'm teeny-tiny, and the orange frame was too big by far (I ride a 43 cm). I was asking about the Miele because I've got a couple of friends looking for singlespeed road bikes/frames. How much would you want to sell that thing for, and what's the standover?

Edit: I'm an edit fiend! Twice in two minutes!
Old 04-23-06, 09:40 PM

Jet-

Actually, I'm teeny-tiny, and the orange frame was too big by far (I ride a 43 cm). I was asking about the Miele because I've got a couple of friends looking for singlespeed road bikes/frames. How much would you want to sell that thing for, and what's the standover?

Edit: I'm an edit fiend! Twice in two minutes!
Hrm, I am not sure of the standover of it, I can measure it tomorrow. This is a conversion and is not fixed, I just popped off the cassette and ran some spacers on it so my friend could boot around on it with just a front brake. Is that what your friend wants or do you want a true track/SS frame? As for a price, maybe you should look at it first or PM me what you think your friend wants to spend.
Old 04-23-06, 09:51 PM
Me talk pretty one day.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hrm ... the New Media program over at Ry-High seems interesting. Anyone heard the word on that one (good/bad/traumatizing)?
Old 04-23-06, 09:54 PM
dam this is fun !

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK first I am not drunk stoned yes but this freaks me out about Polly's Recycle I just checked out the location on the online bikestore maps in the city and saw where it is and I drive my bike on Queen street have done it for 25 years and I honestly never saw this bike shop I know the Beer store and the giant Jimmy Hendricks painting near Leslie Street and the Duke Bar but never saw a bike shop there.
Old 04-23-06, 09:57 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think its more like polly's house or something... doesn't stand out as a bike shop and open by appointment only
Old 04-23-06, 10:58 PM

Bikes: Rossin Zenith, Fuji Touring, Santa Cruz Chameleon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shiznaz,

I just saw the shots of your 3 bikes in the photo thread. I'm intrigued by the wheels on your Cyclops and Spicer in particular—what is that material where the spokes cross? I've never seen that before.

Did you build them yourself?
Old 04-24-06, 06:51 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
I think its more like polly's house or something... doesn't stand out as a bike shop and open by appointment only

Helps keep out the riff-raff
Old 04-24-06, 06:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My shop has the yellow bike hanging above.

But its used to be in the building where the hendrix painting is.

It used to be open 7 days a week, then a bunch of things happened and I became reclusive thats the reality. So me chatting on this forum is part of me coming out of hiding.

Im tempted to post the history of the shop, maybe another day.

JEREMY W----- I dont think the dropouts would have durability issues. $100 retail is a better price I think depending on the frame material. I have another idea that im waiting on a quote for.
Old 04-24-06, 07:00 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love places like Polly's where one can swim in parts.
Old 04-24-06, 07:01 AM
---

Bikes: '05 iro mark V, '04 specialized epic, '04 lemond nevada city, '96 KHS aero comp, '03 norco evolve, '01 louis garneau 2.1, '91 VeloSport, '09 Kona DewPlus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skin flute
Shiznaz,
what is that material where the spokes cross? I've never seen that before.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=100555
Old 04-24-06, 07:22 AM
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Oh, forgot to ask; cavit8, did the $600 Miyata sell?
I'm not sure if it did or not. I left at one (with two hours left in the sale).
Old 04-24-06, 07:34 AM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paul_in_toronto
We dont use the word dingleberry around here Somnambulant..
Use ******BERRY instead its so much more PC.

I think paul_in_toronto was talking about the MEC garage sale? If not then I think all of his comments should've been applied there instead of the CBN. There wasn't much of a lineup to pay and I was there pretty much the whole time. END QUOTE

Um see thats the thing, even without a line up.. it was a chore to pay. And yes I AM REFERRING to CBN ala
CBN biikeswap. Bearded chubbo had me wait..while he checked the bikes serial #, while he talked to other people.. never mind that I said sorry dude im in a hurry nope

Like I said it was a farce.. even the other customers were confused.. No one knew what was sold and what wasnt. The locks made me assume..oh ok locked must be sold..

I know it sucks to hear im not impressed, but honestly it was a farce.
Why so bitter with CBN? As someone mentioned they are a VOLUNTEER organization. Maogosha, the woman who runs the place, does so for little financial gain. On top of this she is a super nice, dedicated person. How about instead of ranting about how much better you could run it, you just put up and volunteer? It's easy to sit there and criticize.....not so easy to actually do something to help. They do tons of great things for cycling in Toronto...Wenches with Wrenches....Yellow Bike Program....Tool Rentals. You seem so ready to criticize....what have YOU done for cycling in Toronto? *End Rant*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.