Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 10:48 AM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gokiburi
i hear keith moonlights in the professional gamers league under the pseudonym "the animal".
I hear Eugene doesn't want his Campy wheels anymore.
Like my good buddy Tucker McElroy, lead singer..drivin' the Winnebago says..."Yer gonna have a hard time eatin' corn on the cob ..WITH NO F**CKIN" TEETH"
Attached Images
File Type: gif
image.gif (3.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-21-06, 10:50 AM
otherwiseordinary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy first day of SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-06, 10:52 AM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=STEEKER]
Originally Posted by somnambulant
Yeah, that's the one thing I really like about my timbuk2 bag. The (optional) waterproof liner feels super durable and it's really easy to clean up.
.[/QUOTE
] I have a Timbuk2 aswell before they switched to over sea's production ,,excellent bag no leaks yet
i had on the those TB2s that was made out of canvas with the tarp liner and the liner cracked all over the place, also deformed a bit. nice bad though; too bad T2 doesn't make the cotton canvas any more, it felt more, i dunno, old worldly, like a worn tilley hat.

it smells like natural gas in my office, i think i'm getting high from the fumes.
Old 06-21-06, 10:55 AM
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cavernmech
3 layers are still better than 2? Still my favorite but many others are very close.

On an unrelated topic...I need some help from the computer savvy folks here.
Firstly I have an old computer at home that has a bunch of music (4 gigs) that I want to transfer on to my machine at work. Easy? Hard? Just put the drive in? Help?
Secondly a friend of mine gave me an old Mac laptop..Powerbook G3. I know very little of Mac...even less than P.C. which is very little. If it is not hopelessly outdated software wise I would like to start messing with it. Any Mac guys give me some insight?
What BoroSS said, set the jumpers to slave, slap it in. copy over (assuming you have 4 G on the work computer). Much faster than USB (presuming your 'pooters have 'em), burning to DVD etc, unless you want to burn to DVD as a backup; which is what I use for all my legally downloaded mooshka.

Sell G3 to Jeremy for many dollars. Buy beer.
Old 06-21-06, 10:58 AM
accident-prone

Bikes: Brodie Romax Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lymbzero
Happy first day of SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[cynic] And from now on, all the days will be shorter [/cynic]
Old 06-21-06, 11:02 AM
Get the stick.

Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For some reason, there was a distinct jump in my productivity at work yesterday.....thank God the forums are back up.
Old 06-21-06, 11:03 AM
dam this is fun !

Bikes: Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cavernmech
I hear Eugene doesn't want his Campy wheels anymore.
Like my good buddy Tucker McElroy, lead singer..drivin' the Winnebago says..."Yer gonna have a hard time eatin' corn on the cob ..WITH NO F**CKIN" TEETH"
Cavernmech,so are those Campy wheels for sale then ???

Last edited by STEEKER; 10-02-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 11:10 AM

Bikes: sannino track, nishiki olympic conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cavit8
What BoroSS said, set the jumpers to slave, slap it in. copy over (assuming you have 4 G on the work computer). Much faster than USB (presuming your 'pooters have 'em), burning to DVD etc, unless you want to burn to DVD as a backup; which is what I use for all my legally downloaded mooshka.

Sell G3 to Jeremy for many dollars. Buy beer.
i think keith is trying to copy stuff from his desktop pc to his mac laptop.. depending on the size of the hard drive in this pc, it might not fit in the powerbook-g3 unless he gets some kind of external enclosure. usb1.0 transfer will take forever but just start it at night and it should be done in the morning. actually, after reading the specs of powerbooks G3s on lowendmac.com, i realize the damn thing might not have any usb ports.
Old 06-21-06, 11:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
keith's laptop inquiry got me to wondering about my own laptop inquiry i have for the techies on this forum. i want to get a small, small (12" monitor or thereabouts) notebook for taking to school, for general email / word processing / some photo work (CD / DVD rw would be handy). also would like to do the wi-fi thing. i've looked around on ebay at some macs and pcs. where else could i get something like that set up that is also nice and cheap? go!
you must be able to find an older 12inch ibook or powerbook for cheap in and around toronto. craigslist might be sketchy... i know pacific mall has a lot of stalls selling older laptops. have you check college? what the hell is that stupid cellphone forum.... howardforums, check that. i think people post other gadgetry for sale on that list as well. i'm sure operator has his black market connections too.
Old 06-21-06, 11:27 AM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gokiburi
you must be able to find an older 12inch ibook or powerbook for cheap in and around toronto. craigslist might be sketchy... i know pacific mall has a lot of stalls selling older laptops. have you check college? what the hell is that stupid cellphone forum.... howardforums, check that. i think people post other gadgetry for sale on that list as well. i'm sure operator has his black market connections too.
any reccomentdation for stores on college? does it have to be a mac, or can you get a decent pc compatible laptop that size. i have an older one, compaq armada, but man oh man is it slow and no memory...

what about it operator?
Old 06-21-06, 11:32 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
keith's laptop inquiry got me to wondering about my own laptop inquiry i have for the techies on this forum. i want to get a small, small (12" monitor or thereabouts) notebook for taking to school, for general email / word processing / some photo work (CD / DVD rw would be handy). also would like to do the wi-fi thing. i've looked around on ebay at some macs and pcs. where else could i get something like that set up that is also nice and cheap? go!
This is a perfect candidate for a refurbished Dell (anything really) laptop. My friend got his for $400 and does all of the above ^. It's not ultra fast but it gets the stuff done.

Like this perhaps: https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...542208&CatId=0

Invariably all the laptops in this price ranges are most likely not going to be macs. Ironically the 12" laptops are much more expensive than the 14"s above in general.

Macs you can do an ibook g4 for around a grand and change (12" screen) and looks pretty spiffy. All my connections reside in Pmall
Old 06-21-06, 11:32 AM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cd/dvd rw puts you in the realm of Macbooks or the new Ibook. Unless you get an older one but the frontbus throughput will leave you bored. Unless you stick to burning CD's then you can much more selection available. Re: the 400$ dell
PC-PC transfer for ill gotten booty, use a cat5 network cable if both machines have nic cards.
You can do upto OS-9 on the G3.
Old 06-21-06, 11:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any reccomentdation for stores on college? does it have to be a mac, or can you get a decent pc compatible laptop that size. i have an older one, compaq armada, but man oh man is it slow and no memory...

what about it operator?
sorry, of course you can get a comparable pc. didn't mean to say that macs have cornered the smaller laptop market ...i know some friends who've been really happy with their asus laptops. those things are damn thin, but might be a slightly larger than a 12inch..still really light though. canada computers is good on college but that area is so crammed with stores that it might be better to just park the bike at either end of the strip (bathurst/spadina) and walk it. it'll take you less than an hour and you'll have a price sampling of the entire place. when you're done, you can spin down to bikes on wheels or parts-unknown! JW, you're going to george brown soon right? i'm sure they have student discount at their mac store.
Old 06-21-06, 11:39 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been a died-in-the-wool PC guy since '82, been using MACs and PC's for the last 15 years. OS-X kicks butt, my next machine is a MAC. The OS is finally making use of RAM properly..... cuz it's UNIX Can be a little glitchy when it crashes though. Looking forward to testing the IntelMAC.
Old 06-21-06, 11:45 AM

Bikes: DeBernardi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
I've been a died-in-the-wool PC guy since '82, been using MACs and PC's for the last 15 years. OS-X kicks butt, my next machine is a MAC. The OS is finally making use of RAM properly..... cuz it's UNIX Can be a little glitchy when it crashes though. Looking forward to testing the IntelMAC.
Yeah, I'll be gettin' me a BlackBook soon. OSX rocks the casbah!
Old 06-21-06, 11:47 AM
dam this is fun !

Bikes: Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish could afford a MAC
Old 06-21-06, 11:48 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and all you irc unix heads will love tinkering with the unix layer....oh yes
At work I'm running a dual 2.3 G5 4gigos of RAM and 256meggos on the video card.
Old 06-21-06, 11:53 AM
cab horn

Purely because i'm gaming the PC is where it's at
Although I really don't do much any more. Good ole days of boot disks and 486's to play dos games are over. Windows 3.1 was also teh bomb. I remember doing dialup into my isps bbs to chat and loading up hotmail on IE 3 or 2 on a 256 colour only capable video card.

Yeah!
Old 06-21-06, 11:55 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still got my Twinhead notebook 386sx20 with 4megs of RAM and a 20 meg HD
Old 06-21-06, 11:59 AM
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jeremy: if you want to chat about laptops send me a PM. let me know what sort of budget you have. The new macbook starts at $1250, which is really great for what you get. I switched to Apple over a year ago and haven't looked back. If you don't want to play games on the thing then there's little to no reason to get a windows-based pc (imho) -- especially since you can even install Windows on the new intel-based stuff if necessary for some reason.

Anyone want to do any riding tomorrow evening? I can't tonight, but I'll more than likely be up for something tomorrow.
Old 06-21-06, 12:02 PM
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
and all you irc unix heads will love tinkering with the unix layer....oh yes
That's exactly the reason I switched. I used to be a heavy Linux user but got tired of having to dual-boot or have multiple machines running constantly since (as a designer and developer) I also needed apps like Photoshop. Now I get my apps and unix too! I can boot up a full webserver + database on my laptop for development whenever and where ever I want regardless of if I can sniff out a wifi connection. It's a great thing.
Old 06-21-06, 12:06 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes to installing both windows and OS-X on the box..(yay intel chips)... dual boot gaming and productivity goodness
Old 06-21-06, 12:14 PM

Bikes: DeBernardi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by somnambulant
That's exactly the reason I switched. I used to be a heavy Linux user but got tired of having to dual-boot or have multiple machines running constantly since (as a designer and developer) I also needed apps like Photoshop. Now I get my apps and unix too! I can boot up a full webserver + database on my laptop for development whenever and where ever I want regardless of if I can sniff out a wifi connection. It's a great thing.
Gotta love the ability to dual boot, or run Parallels for virtualization.

Hey Wes, I want to talk with you about designing my photography website.

CV Thursday night @ 8-830pm meet @ Yonge and Dundas Square this time?
Old 06-21-06, 12:40 PM
cab horn

Check this out! https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4107

As if you didn't have enough money to spend on your bike

Last edited by operator; 06-21-06 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 12:47 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkmother
For some reason, there was a distinct jump in my productivity at work yesterday.....thank God the forums are back up.
Haha! I was thinking the exact same thing.

On another note, I have a 11am meeting at 2001 Drew road tomorrow (directly across from the west side of Pearson airport). How long would it take to ride there from downtown and what route would be the best? I am imagining it would be very difficult and dangerous but I could be wrong... I need to confirm whether I want a taxi ride before the end of the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.