Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 08:13 AM
dam this is fun !

Bikes: Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
somnambulant,, I can see the milky way faintly from the LeslieStreet spit and from any of the piers along the lake in the east end and from center island. but light pollution is getting worse so way up North or South to get a good view.. I can pick out Galaxies in my scopes from the backyard and did get a Quasar once. it ain't as good as from a dark site but you can do a TON of stuff from the city ,Planets, Asteriods,DoubleStars, cool picture I have that as a screen saver ;;EDITE:: LOT"S of naked eye stuff from around the City the clubs put on pubic viewing sessions all the time just check out the science center. you can bike up to any of the viewing sites.
Old 09-01-06, 08:45 AM
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STEEKER
somnambulant,, I can see the milky way faintly from the LeslieStreet spit and from any of the piers along the lake in the east end and from center island. but light pollution is getting worse so way up North or South to get a good view.. I can pick out Galaxies in my scopes from the backyard and did get a Quasar once. it ain't as good as from a dark site but you can do a TON of stuff from the city ,Planets, Asteriods,DoubleStars, cool picture I have that as a screen saver ;;EDITE:: LOT"S of naked eye stuff from around the City the clubs put on pubic viewing sessions all the time just check out the science center. you can bike up to any of the viewing sites.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love to do a night ride someplace with some halfway decent viewing.. especially with a scope. Beer 'n stars ride?
Old 09-01-06, 08:51 AM
Joe Bent

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was surprised to hear a friend tell me that she has seen the Northern Lights from as far south as Wasaga on a number of occasions. That's on the list of things to do/see before I check out.
Old 09-01-06, 08:56 AM
dam this is fun !

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Bent
I was surprised to hear a friend tell me that she has seen the Northern Lights from as far south as Wasaga on a number of occasions. That's on the list of things to do/see before I check out.
I saw the sky go red here in Toronto a few years ago and you still can see spikes from the norther lights in Toronto now and again and the sun is going to go active cycle again soon so we should be able to see some of it BUT not like you can from highway nine where it looks like wavey curtains of light AWESOME
Old 09-01-06, 09:01 AM
dam this is fun !

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by somnambulant
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love to do a night ride someplace with some halfway decent viewing.. especially with a scope. Beer 'n stars ride?
One night we'll all meet and head out on the spit with travel scope before winter but most of the planets will be below the horizon so we could do a Lunar Moon tour if you want P.S it's ok to be high and look through my scopes but not on booze if they get knocked over I'd have to break your legs and through you in the lake
Old 09-01-06, 09:16 AM

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One night we'll all meet and head out on the spit with travel scope before winter but most of the planets will be below the horizon so we could do a Lunar Moon tour if you want P.S it's ok to be high and look through my scopes but not on booze if they get knocked over I'd have to break your legs and through you in the lake
dude.. I'm about 42x more klutzy high than I am with a couple beers in me.

edit: speaking of lunar observing: https://skytonight.com/observing/highlights/3745876.html
Old 09-01-06, 09:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
offtopic: I think I've asked this before.. but do we have any musicians in the house? I'm listening to Mono right now, and it's making me want to have an hours long reverbed out smokey jam session..

edit: I have now moved on to more long feedback-filled instrumental rock, this time from Mogwai.

Last edited by somnambulant; 09-01-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-01-06, 09:24 AM
dam this is fun !

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a free planetary program for your computer just donwload what you want,, https://www.stargazing.net/astropc/download.html
Old 09-01-06, 09:33 AM
::3 o'clock roadblock::

Bikes: IRO jaimie roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
offtopic: I think I've asked this before.. but do we have any musicians in the house? I'm listening to Mono right now, and it's making me want to have an hours long reverbed out smokey jam session..
/me has been known to get on the guitar and jam...fingers are rusty tho...
Old 09-01-06, 09:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a free planetary program for your computer just donwload what you want,, https://www.stargazing.net/astropc/download.html
I have an Apple laptop at home, so that ain't gonna work. There's a bunch of unix/mac astronomy apps out there though, but I'm preparing to reinstall the OS on my computer so there's no point in putting new stuff on there right now.
Old 09-01-06, 09:47 AM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
somnambulant - now i'm going to dig out my old mogwai disks. maybe some godspeed you black emperor too...

after much consideration i'm leaving the threesome comments alone save for the fact that you left french accents off your lists of arousals. that is all.
Old 09-01-06, 09:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duppy.conqueror
/me has been known to get on the guitar and jam...fingers are rusty tho...
I know king duppy wants to play some spaced out echoey dub..
Old 09-01-06, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know king duppy wants to play some spaced out echoey dub..
can definitely get down with some echoey dub.../me also likes to get down with the blues...
Old 09-01-06, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can anyone tell is a procrastination day at work for me today? Friday before a long weekend = productive

I second Keith's Scandinavian accent comment.. It's so ****ing hot. Speaking of Scandinavia, there's a post about the SSWC that just happened around Stockholm on the Surly Blog. I can't believe that happened the year AFTER I was living there. I remember reading about the one in PA last year while I was in SWE... d'oh!

"None of us wanted to leave Stockholm, to the point where I thought about selling half my belongings to move there. Have you ever wanted all your friends from around the world to live in the same city as you? Or have you ever been to summer camp and didn't want to go home at the end of the week?"

That is EXACTLY how I felt leaving Stockholm last year. Of course, that was during the Summer. I'm sure in the Winter I wouldn't feel that way with the crazy darkness ~20 hours a day.
Old 09-01-06, 10:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
maybe some godspeed you black emperor too...
I wish they would tour again. So good.
Old 09-01-06, 10:04 AM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
somnambulant - now i'm going to dig out my old mogwai disks. maybe some godspeed you black emperor too...

after much consideration i'm leaving the threesome comments alone save for the fact that you left french accents off your lists of arousals. that is all.
My Bad.
Old 09-01-06, 10:25 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
The limiting magnitude downtown is around 3.0 on a good night. In Richmond Hill it's about 4.9, and you can almost convince yourself you can see the milky way. Realistically this is the difference between seeing the little dipper and half of it.

Probably be best downtown to pick say Finch or where I live and ride northeast, or from downtown go east past Kingston. Or close to it. Driving one hour in any of these directions will yield fairly dark skies already, so adapt to fixie parade speeds.

Originally Posted by Joe Bent
Yep, several times i've seen it up here in R.H, once during a tour night as well. You can actually see in real time when these things happen thanks to the internet. If you go here:

https://www.sec.noaa.gov/ace/ACErtsw_home.html

You can access the soloar wind velocity data and if you suddenly see a giant spike in the chart: Look outisde (within an hour or two). There's also www.spaceweather.com which issues alerts/predictions based off this data.

Edit: Free planetarium program for teh multiple Os'es - https://www.stellarium.org/
PS: My frame is finished powdercoating today! Woot!
Old 09-01-06, 10:40 AM

Bikes: sannino track, nishiki olympic conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was on the roof of my building during a meteor shower in japan (kawasaki) and i could see the damn SMOKE TRAILS on the meteorites as they burned up in the atmosphere. they were coming fast and furious.. something like a half dozen/minute. i don't think i'll ever forget that. some guy had a huge telescope on the roof of my building but i swear he was doing more peeping than star gazing.
Old 09-01-06, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like alot of rain this weekend :@
Old 09-01-06, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gokiburi
i was on the roof of my building during a meteor shower in japan (kawasaki) and i could see the damn SMOKE TRAILS on the meteorites as they burned up in the atmosphere. they were coming fast and furious.. something like a half dozen/minute. i don't think i'll ever forget that. some guy had a huge telescope on the roof of my building but i swear he was doing more peeping than star gazing.
hahah.. yeah, I saw one of the regular big meteor showers (I can't remember which one now) about an hour outside st. John's back in maybe 1998. It was absolutely stunning. There was one every 30 seconds or so at least. There was one fireball bright enough that it cast really sharp shadows from everyone while I had of course glanced away from the sky momentarily.
Old 09-01-06, 01:30 PM
In Velo Veritas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shiznaz - i saw you crossing bathurst at king today at around 2:00. i was ashamed to be driving a car so i didn't honk. is that a new frame?
Old 09-01-06, 01:48 PM
In Velo Veritas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if the weather this sunday turns out to be as bad as promised, i wonder if anyone else would be interested in donning their waterproofs and doing a pub / brewery ride. ie. riding straight to a pub or some such thing and tasting a few before riding home or to moonbeam or what have you.
there's a good scotch pub on kingston road (feathers), or the amsterdam or mill st brewries are always offering tours. something to think about.
Old 09-01-06, 02:46 PM
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may be out for Sunday night as it turns out. Earlier in the day is a go, though.
Old 09-01-06, 03:33 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Hey guys, is it safe to unspread frame from 126 - 120?
Old 09-01-06, 05:41 PM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Hey guys, is it safe to unspread frame from 126 - 120?
If you can deal with the minor inconvenience of adjusting the wheel with the extra space between dropout and locknut, don't bother for now. Tightening the wheel with 3mm on both sides will not hurt anything. Trying to respace the dropout without the right tools will hurt it. If it really bothers you have it cold set at a framebuilder shop ie: Biseagal, Bike Specialties.
You can respace the hub to 126 as well. 2 3 mm spacers on each side of the hub axle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.