Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 02:41 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sport Minivan I'll have you know.
Old 10-25-06, 02:47 PM
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by somnambulant
Am I the only person who saw the post where Mike announced his name change?
Evidently.

An expresso machine in the bike store. Dangerous. 2 out of my 3 vices in one place. Not good for my wifes paycheck.
Become reality to me
Old 10-25-06, 02:50 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
another reason i dislike the suburbs: getting yelled at from a car in oakville. "get a car!" they said. what? it looked like they were driving mom's minivan...
Welcome to the GTA.
Old 10-25-06, 02:50 PM
www.messnyc.net

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey toronto-ites!!!

so I'm going to be headed into your fair city this weekend for the F*cked Up record release fest. Anybody going? Anybody wanna put me up for a night or two? i'll be bikeless (stupid Amtrak) but fine to get around to wherever. The shows are all in the University Area (Spadina & College, Spadina & Dundas), so if anybody lives around there....

thanks in advance!
BLDZR
NYC
Old 10-25-06, 02:55 PM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pyze-guy
Evidently.

An expresso machine in the bike store. Dangerous. 2 out of my 3 vices in one place. Not good for my wifes paycheck.
do we want to know what the third one is? i'm hoping it has something to do with cooking tools...
Old 10-25-06, 02:56 PM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
Sport Minivan I'll have you know.
sport minivan; that's like using the term "extreme golf"...
Old 10-25-06, 02:56 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cross posted from Road Cycling. Our neighbourhooditudinally-challenged friend is quite the anthropological writer! Thought you might apreciate this. Nadir knows all the world's cool and crazy characters.

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN
TAKE A DEEP BREATH.... I tend to go into overkill

Most experienced cyclists have heard of the benefits of riding a fixed gear bike as part of one's training regimen, to improve your spin, your sprint, your wind. My own take on fixed gear bikes (and my own reasons for riding them) are very different: they have to do with psychology and premodern, even primitive impulses, not with leg speed and winter training theories. So just why do I ride a fixed gear? Like anything else in life, the answer is complicated, but here goes.

When you ride a fixed gear, you are truly united to your bike. When the wheels are turning, so are your legs, equally pushing down on and being drawn forward by the crankarms and pedals in a symbiotic whirl. You'd think that this would make the feedback between frame and rider on a fixed very direct--you would be much more aware of the ride quality.

This started me thinking of historical analogies, particularly the following one: riding a fixed gear is like living in a premodern, more heroic age. In contrast, riding a bike with derailleurs and a freewheel is instead like living in a much more modern and self-aware period of Western human history--say from the sixteenth century to the present one. The unity of man and machine in riding a fixed has both the strengths and the weaknesses of the heroic; and while riding a derailleur-freewheel bike is easier, it is not heroic.

For this to make any sense, a brief and crude overview of some literary history is necessary. If we believe some historians and literary critics, much earlier literature is outward-oriented and heroic: in Homer's Odyssey, for example, we hear more of Odysseus's actions than we hear of his thoughts (though we often hear of his craftiness in the various epithets applied to him). Later literature, such as the sonnet cycles of the English renaissance by Sidney, Shakespeare, Spenser, et. al. , are all about the internal conflict: the poem's speaker is separated off from himself, looking at himself: we readers watch and hear about not so much external action as the internal reflection. The interest in psychology is far greater; the interest in bare-fist action much smaller. Thus the heroic age makes for epics, outward and action-oriented: the Odyssey, Beowulf, El Cid. The later age (what historians now call early modernity, from the fifteenth or sixteenth century on) makes for much more lyric (personal, short, private, reflective, self-reflexive) and personal literature, a literature of psychology and not action.

Now to return to bikes:

Riding a fixed gear is premodern, heroic, and maybe even epic. The bike disappears beneath you; you are one with it; and because you are so united, you cannot even adequately describe the frame's ride (and there are no real component performance characteristics to enumerate. You and the bike are one; only being two, being separable, allows for such descriptions of the "feel" or performance. (Author's aside: I don't want to push this to absurd lengths, for surely you can feel the difference to some degree between a cheap and a good quality frame even without a freewheel. The difference I'm trying to describe here is really a matter of degree, not of kind.) With a freewheel and derailleur equipped bike, you are that much more separated from the bike: you are instead a bike and rider, not a cohesive unit of the two. While rides undertaken on such a bike can be heroic and epic, the very act of riding such a bike is not. In riding such a bike, you have experienced the fall into self-reflexivity; the ability to experience not just the primary riding, but also the separable qualities of your chosen mount and its components. Man and machine are two; and man (or woman) controls the multi-gear technology, controls the bike, and hence is aware of it and as separable from him- or herself in a way not available to the fixed gear rider.

It is this heroic character that appeals to me in riding my fixed; and I believe something like this appeals to at least some of those who regularly use a fixed gear bike. Such a machine gives us a chance to have a much greater degree of unity-with-the-bike, engaging us in a kind of primal struggle with terrain, time, distance, and self without the distractions of gear choices, derailleurs, shifters, and good or bad chain lines. Gone are the distractions of "well, maybe I should drop it into the small ring; I'm feeling tired today." You've got a gear, one gear, the gear. Use it. Don't think, do. Don't talk, ride. Don't calculate, execute. On a fixed, the option of being a saddlebound and dithering Hamlet just is not available to you: if you stop pedaling, just a brief pause to think of a corner, the pedals jerk you back into the present, the now, the ride itself.

Given human weakness, we can only achieve this quasi-heroic discipline with the utter simplicity of the fixed gear; the multi gear bike plays into our self-reflexive doubts, our "oh, my legs are kind of sore today from yesterday's ride" excuses, our all-too-modern ability to use technology to distance ourselves from primary, visceral, blood-sweat-and-tears experience. The fixed gear takes away options; and paradoxically, by taking the options away, it allows us to maximize ourselves and our own potential.
Old 10-25-06, 03:02 PM
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
do we want to know what the third one is? i'm hoping it has something to do with cooking tools...
Shoot, 4 vices then.
Become reality to me
Old 10-25-06, 05:02 PM
Tie me up, Tie me down

Bikes: The Brown Beast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bldzr
hey toronto-ites!!!

so I'm going to be headed into your fair city this weekend for the F*cked Up record release fest. Anybody going? Anybody wanna put me up for a night or two? i'll be bikeless (stupid Amtrak) but fine to get around to wherever. The shows are all in the University Area (Spadina & College, Spadina & Dundas), so if anybody lives around there....

thanks in advance!
BLDZR
NYC

Whose playing? I can't put you up but I can definately show you around a bit. I'm always down for live music and live in that hood, hit me up with a PM we'll talk.
Old 10-25-06, 05:58 PM
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Offhoff
Whose playing? I can't put you up but I can definately show you around a bit. I'm always down for live music and live in that hood, hit me up with a PM we'll talk.
They're playing with Righteous Jams and Pissed Jeans at the ElMo.

ps. pissed jeans. best. name. evar.
pps. I didn't realize that Chris Colohan from Cursed was in F*cked Up. Cursed == good stuff.
Old 10-25-06, 07:47 PM
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weee, I'll actually be able to show up to that shop opening on Saturday (back on the Fri/Sat off schedule).
Old 10-25-06, 07:50 PM
otherwiseordinary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
Cross posted from Road Cycling. Our neighbourhooditudinally-challenged friend is quite the anthropological writer! Thought you might apreciate this. Nadir knows all the world's cool and crazy characters.
Fixed gear riding is like Token Ring, timed packets, and TCP ack/nak.
Freewheeling is like Ethernet streaming UDP.

Appologies to those who aren't nerdy enough to get it....

Last edited by lymbzero; 10-25-06 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 08:42 PM
::3 o'clock roadblock::

Bikes: IRO jaimie roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lymbzero

ie
fixed is like unix/linux
freewheel is like windoze
Old 10-25-06, 09:19 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hey keith, shamil:
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/239568-do-you-feel-safe.html
Old 10-25-06, 09:23 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by lymbzero

stop
Old 10-25-06, 10:13 PM
::3 o'clock roadblock::

Bikes: IRO jaimie roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
hahahahahahaha
Originally Posted by sbhikes
I don't feel safe at all. I'm terrified every second of the way. Those mean bike lanes are going to get me killed. People are going to run me over because I'm not darting into their path and demanding a response. I'm so terribly irrelevant. There's no hope for me.
potential candidate for safetymeeting

Originally Posted by sbhikes
Would you feel safe if you approached the end of a residential street only to come upon about 10 men in their late teens/early 20s, each one wearing one piece of Raiders paraphrenalia, each one wearing Raiders colors, and one of them stands directly in your path? Where would you position yourself then?
/me is playin the song 'colors' while reading this...hahahahaha...wow...riding a recumbent in southcentral L.A. == baited
Old 10-25-06, 10:33 PM
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So ... am I allowed to attend a safety meeting if I don't smoke?
Old 10-26-06, 06:07 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jerk! way to keep it on the DL
Old 10-26-06, 07:01 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmm Patty King Beef Patties for breaky, fresh from my oven. Mornin' Y'all. Subtle like a brick there Shapelike.
Old 10-26-06, 07:03 AM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shapelike
So ... am I allowed to attend a safety meeting if I don't smoke?
Smoking is bad for you....thus not safe. Duppy is not a smoker and he has contributed mightily to the safety discussions that have taken place lately. This weeks topic....non-twist off bottles and the danger to delicate palm skin.
Old 10-26-06, 07:07 AM

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll likely drop by for a quick safety tip or two right after work tomorrow, then it's off to j-j-j-jammin' on the one.
Old 10-26-06, 07:07 AM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safety Labels and BIG RED ARROWS!!!! My lawyer can beat up your lawyer. Don't f*#k around with non-twist bottles, man. That's just an owy, or a superficial abrasion simply waiting to happen. Good God, when will they be banned?
Old 10-26-06, 07:50 AM
Get the stick.

Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cavernmech
This weeks topic....non-twist off bottles and the danger to delicate palm skin.
There will be much to discuss. I like to use my trackends to open NTO bottles. Some wingnut I met also showed me that opening bottles is the real function of the iron ring. I knew it wasn't just for show....
Old 10-26-06, 08:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmother
There will be much to discuss. I like to use my trackends to open NTO bottles. Some wingnut I met also showed me that opening bottles is the real function of the iron ring. I knew it wasn't just for show....
dude.. you got through engineering without finding that out? for shame!

Speaking of bottle openers, I want one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876DlzmRql4

https://shop.newyorkbarstore.com/Items/OPENER-05-BPI?

ps. Eye's music feature is on F*cked Up, for anyone interested (although the link isn't working at the time of posting): https://www.eye.net/music/

Last edited by somnambulant; 10-26-06 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 08:28 AM
www.messnyc.net

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Offhoff
It's a whole weekend of shows celebrating the release of of F*cked Up's new Full-Length. Here's the total lowdown:
FRIDAY OCTOBER 27TH
@ THE EL MOCAMBO 464 SPADINA AVE
8PM $12 19+
F*CKED UP
RIGHTEOUS JAMS
BORN DEAD ICONS
PISSED JEANS
MIND ERASER
BRAIN HANDLE

FRIDAY AFTERPARTY
@ THE WHITE ORCHID 812 DUNDAS ST. WEST
MIDNIGHT FREE ALL AGES
THE REGULATIONS
BRUTAL KNIGHTS
THE BAYONETTES

SATURDAY OCTOBER 28TH
@ THE KATHEDRAL 651 QUEEN WEST
6PM $15 ALL AGES
9 SHOCKS TERROR
F*CKED UP
DROPDEAD
THE REGULATIONS
CRIMINAL DAMAGE
THE DARVOCETS
FORMELDAHYDE JUNKIES

SATURDAY AFTERPARTY
@ THE WHITE ORCHID 812 DUNDAS ST. WEST
MIDNIGHT FREE ALL AGES
CAREER SUICIDE
THE INMATES
URBAN BLIGHT

SUNDAY OCT 29th:
@ The White Orchid 812 Dundas St West
All ages 2PM $5
THE REGULATIONS
SAILBOATS ARE WHITE
ATTACK IN BLACK
NINJA HIGHSCHOOL
DIRTY BS

SUNDAY OCTOBER 29TH
@ THE EL MOCAMBO 464 SPADINA AVE
8PM $10 19+
*3rd Annual F*CKED UP Hallowe'en Party*
F*CKED UP
COLD WORLD
C'MON
ANAGRAM
CREEPING NOBODIES
WYRD VISIONS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.