Search
Notices
Rides and Races A place for posting group rides, races, and regional threads for the fixed gear and single speed forum.

Toronto Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 06:51 PM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cavit8
I make mine in a moka pot and it's okay, not as good as in house. I'm champing at the bit waiting for my La Pavoni to get here. If I got ripped off, I'm riding to Nelson BC to beat someone up.

And Amelie is a cutie, not just by being cute, but by lighting up my day when she smiles. It's the kind of smile thatjust glows. That and she wears baggy clothes so she probably has an awesome six pack and does chin ups in the back while the coffees roasting. yay.

Also nice to know Dominique is still around. Even though she's too cool for us now, I still miss her.
i don't want to venture a guess about the six pack imagery, but i can sort of see your point. perhaps also wearing a rambo bandana and biting a switchblade? maybe the baggies are just comfortable.

i hate to admit this but the only decent espresso i've made in a moka pot (ie no trace of bitterness) is from starbucks. i'd love it if the ideal stuff is as good.

waiting for that beautiful machine must be torture.
Old 12-19-06, 07:09 PM
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
i know the machine is a factor for sure, but was just wondering if the taste was seriously compromised in moka pots. funny about the major coffee chains. i usually end up doing the opposite and ordering an americano because their drip coffee gets bitter sitting in carafes for hours.
I wouldn't say the taste is seriously compromised. I generally try to get it off before my moka pot starts making that spurting noise, so you end up with a highly concentrated bit of caffeine heaven. Their roast is one of the best and most consistent I've had. And it was a pleasure riding there today on my fixed gear, meeting Pyze and bs'ing in the waning sun with my free single shot.
Old 12-19-06, 07:52 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Offhoff
<--- doesn't get the Audrey Tatou ideal obsession, might be an age thing.

This post is more to say that every time I see Cavit8's name I think of Jonesy in "Hunt for Red October" telling the skipper there cavitating when the American's go full reverse during the crazy ivan.

Why yes, I am a nerd, why ever would you ask?
Just remember, cavitation decreases with depth and good blade design
Old 12-19-06, 08:05 PM
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that's enough about my blade, thanks

And on that note, has anyone had any aluminum shop-painted? I have a Look ergostem in a hideous yellow I'd like to get redone. It sort of looks aluminumy but maybe something else.

Pyze, here's a link to the bike stand I was telling you about https://www.instructables.com/id/ELSDOGRZYTEPD7QT0I/

Last edited by cavit8; 12-19-06 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 07:09 AM
Fix Turns My Crank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
listening to CBC, i just heard bikeshare is finally closing up shop due to lack of necessary funding.

Last edited by fixedude; 12-20-06 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 08:31 AM
Jonnys ilegitimate Father

Bikes: too many too list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's enough about my blade, thanks

And on that note, has anyone had any aluminum shop-painted? I have a Look ergostem in a hideous yellow I'd like to get redone. It sort of looks aluminumy but maybe something else.

Pyze, here's a link to the bike stand I was telling you about https://www.instructables.com/id/ELSDOGRZYTEPD7QT0I/
It is Al. Powdercoat is prolly not a great option...the texture kind of ends up like orange peel. I have seen them online tons but never had one in my hands. Do the adjust joints come apart completely? I did a pretty decent job on the stem on my Winterbourne with a rattle can. If you pull it apart to paint it make sure to mask all the points where the joints rotate.
Old 12-20-06, 08:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedude
listening to CBC, i just heard bikeshare is finally closing up shop due to lack of necessary funding.
Noooooooooooo. That is a total shame. Another good public program for the masses that fails due to under-funding.
Old 12-20-06, 09:21 AM
Shiftless bum

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, bikeshare went down the tubes. Apparently operating is around 80k per year. The vandalism to a bunch of bikes this past year was problematic, as well they had no hard program funding. You'd think the city could take that on as a congestion reduction maneuver, but no...

cavernmech: yes, the pieces come apart. I'm thinking the rattle can option is probably going to do fine. Apparently you can chemical wash Al before painting to improve adherence, but it may not be worth the hassle for a small piece. I may just try some Testors on top of what's there for now. .
Old 12-20-06, 09:51 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, bikeshare went down the tubes. Apparently operating is around 80k per year. The vandalism to a bunch of bikes this past year was problematic, as well they had no hard program funding. You'd think the city could take that on as a congestion reduction maneuver, but no...

cavernmech: yes, the pieces come apart. I'm thinking the rattle can option is probably going to do fine. Apparently you can chemical wash Al before painting to improve adherence, but it may not be worth the hassle for a small piece. I may just try some Testors on top of what's there for now. .
For the price of a single BMW 5 series a year they provided 1000 people with sustainable, healthy, affordable transportation. I freaking hate municipal decision making.
Old 12-20-06, 11:07 AM
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah a bit of a shame about bike share; it wasn't just one of those idealistic approaches to sustainable transportation, i used to actually see people using that service. 80k/year seems a lot to run that service. but then again, i know nothing of business.
Old 12-20-06, 11:11 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeremywhitehorn
yeah a bit of a shame about bike share; it wasn't just one of those idealistic approaches to sustainable transportation, i used to actually see people using that service. 80k/year seems a lot to run that service. but then again, i know nothing of business.
Thats not more than payroll of 2 people working full time. 80k a year is literally peanuts.
Old 12-20-06, 11:17 AM
::3 o'clock roadblock::

Bikes: IRO jaimie roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man that is so shameful...that program shoulda been a priority!
Old 12-20-06, 01:00 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
considering how much say Amsterdam pumps into their version of the project..... Vandals indeed...Amsterdam pulls a ton of their bikes from the canal every year.....and yes.... it's simply the cost of gittin' 'er done. Maybe it's because we didn't read the fine print on another leasing agreement and we owe another 40million dollars to someone.. I hate it when they axe things for chump change, and then screw things up to the tune of millions and except us not to notice, or want to toss them in jail.

Hell that 80K could be recooped if we had tighter controls over these ice-holes expense accounts, oh but wait that would be proper checks and balances over public funds being used by politicians, *looks over shoulder for black Suburban*.....nevermind...
Old 12-20-06, 01:08 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
considering how much say Amsterdam pumps into their version of the project..... Vandals indeed...Amsterdam pulls a ton of their bikes from the canal every year.....and yes.... it's simply the cost of gittin' 'er done. Maybe it's because we didn't read the fine print on another leasing agreement and we owe another 40million dollars to someone.. I hate it when they axe things for chump change, and then screw things up to the tune of millions and except us not to notice, or want to toss them in jail.

Hell that 80K could be recooped if we had tighter controls over these ice-holes expense accounts, oh but wait that would be proper checks and balances over public funds being used by politicians, *looks over shoulder for black Suburban*.....nevermind...

Its the way of things... Like my SECRET work (TJ will get this). Record profits don't mean that you shouldn't stick it to the most vulnerable people just to make the profits a little sweeter. Sweeter to the tune of fractions of fractions of fractions of a percent.

Seriously, who rides the bike share bikes that has any say in our municipal bureaucratic monstrosity?

80k will pay for so little... pretty much anything involving making more than a single cut in the road will add up to that much. Hell, contractors pay 80,000 dollar fines just for completing a highway repair a few hours late. Don't ask what they get PAID.
Old 12-20-06, 01:21 PM
otherwiseordinary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I skitched my first vehicle on my fixed gear bike.
It was a Rig with a 40 ft trailer.
I took me all the way up the St.Clair hill on Yonge.
I love free rides.
Old 12-20-06, 01:22 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never done the skitchin on a bike. I have however done the 'grab the back of the school bus in the winter thing and slid down the snow covered roadways' Remember snow?
Old 12-20-06, 01:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
never done the skitchin on a bike. I have however done the 'grab the back of the school bus in the winter thing and slid down the snow covered roadways' Remember snow?
Ahhhhhh....bumper hitchin....takes me back...wayyy back. Kodiak's with no tread left and the tongues floppin' out. Good Times indeed. Of course no such thing takes place today as the kids are far more delicate than we were back then. Back in my day we had to walk to school with no shoes...in the snow...uphill and with a headwind both ways.
Old 12-20-06, 01:39 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmm Kodiak skiiin' the toboggan hill.
Old 12-20-06, 01:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
For the price of a single BMW 5 series a year they provided 1000 people with sustainable, healthy, affordable transportation. I freaking hate municipal decision making.

...or 10 people with really nice bikes
Old 12-20-06, 02:03 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True to form Git
Old 12-20-06, 02:28 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by junior in train
10 of you? No thanks!
Old 12-20-06, 02:56 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by junior in train
You again?
Old 12-20-06, 03:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what a shame about bikeshare. now i feel really guilty about never getting around to donating $20 or whatever - guess i couldn't justify it since i would never have used the bikes myself.

tangent: i'm trying to set up an aeolian ride in may as part of bike week 2007. anybody interested? stupid idea? brilliant? trying to gauge a response for this thing to figure out funding and organization.
Old 12-20-06, 03:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh and i heard SOMEONE bought a keirin bike. postpixplz.
Old 12-20-06, 03:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canice
oh and i heard SOMEONE bought a keirin bike. postpixplz.
Wow...we are getting a track to do Keirin races on? Awesome! and I thought the Japanese had a monopoly on Keirin races.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.