Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

iPhone 6+ saddle bag

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 12:37 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iPhone 6+ saddle bag

After deliberation I'm going to keep my iPhone 6+ but the big downside is going to be cycling. I need to keep my phone with me when cycling so I'm going to have to find the smallest under-the-saddle bag that will accommodate an iPhone 6+. It will be on a road bike. Anyone have any recommendation? Snarky comments expected and welcomed. Extra points for helpful references. https://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Old 12-01-14, 12:56 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 6 and the thing barely fits in the saddle bag with my car keys and wallet. Good luck trying to find a "small" bag that will fit the 6+.
Old 12-01-14, 01:05 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Why not just carry it in your jersey pocket?
Old 12-01-14, 01:15 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
safety

I'd prefer to put it in a saddle bag simply so I don't reach behind to grab a banana or something and knock it out of my jersey. Additionally, the extra weight makes a jersey pull down uncomfortably so I'm looking for a saddle bag that will fit it. I realize the bag will be larger than I'd prefer so I'm simply looking for the smallest bag that will still fit the 6+, realizing that still won't be small....
Old 12-01-14, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got a plain old IPhone 4, so the size and weight aren't issues. However, I prefer to keep my phone in my jersey so I can reach it to take photos, answer calls if expecting something important, view maps if needed, etc. I also commute year-round, and stashing the phone in my pocket keeps it warmer than it would be in a seat bag. That said, there are a lot of nice seat bags large enough to hold an IPhone 6+. I have no qualms using a larger seat bag since I bike commute anyway. Topeak and Jandd make some nice larger bags that will fit under a saddle. A Carradice Barley or their zip roll bag would easily hold your phone, and they have a nice classic appearance. Acorn bags are the nicest but good luck trying to buy one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gunnar 2.jpg (90.8 KB, 32 views)
Gunnar 3.jpg (89.8 KB, 27 views)
debe fixe 2.jpg (88.5 KB, 26 views)
casseroll - light touring.jpg (82.9 KB, 24 views)
Debe-commute2.jpg (99.4 KB, 23 views)
BJ-light touring.jpg (73.7 KB, 24 views)
Debe-barley.jpg (99.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-02-14, 05:45 AM

Bikes: 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker & 2014 Brompton M6R

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A top tube bag might be a good application for an iPhone 6 Plus. Some models might even let you view the phone while riding.
Old 12-02-14, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Take the phone to the LBS, REI, etc. and try a few. It'll fit into many pretty small seat bags.
Old 12-02-14, 01:10 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
If you're not racing and want to be free of saddle bags, try a lumbar bag. They're actually designed for hiking but can do reasonably well for cycling. MountainSmith makes them and can be found at most REI stores.

Mountainsmith Kinetic Tls Waistpack

But here's the disadvantage, other than being accused of being too Fred. If you stuff too many things into the bag and cause it to be on the heavy side, it will droop and the waist retention system will cause the buckle to lose a grip on the nylon strap. What I do is to make sure at the beginning of each ride that the strap is tight on the waist.

I called REI on this and also called MountainSmith as well. MountainSmith gave me two plastic retainers that cause a loop on each of the two nylon straps. This is suppose to reduce the tendency of the weight of the bag's contents to pull down on the straps. Does it work? Somewhat.

The advantage of a lumbar bag is that the need for a saddle bag goes away and the need to stuff things in the back jersey pocket too. Also, when stopping for a coffee and roll, everything like wallet, keys, cell phone, all go with you instead of on the bike.

If you aren't racing, then it's an alternative. This bag is even big enough to fit the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. Sheldon Brown recommends this. And since I have 50mm carbon rims (PSIMET) and Continental Grand Prix 4000-S tires, it works fine.

One other thing, that MountainSmith bag has an outer pocket. It fits my Road Morph pump but vertically and I tie it down with a velcro strip that loops onto the bag's own loop.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 12-02-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 01:29 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
After deliberation I'm going to keep my iPhone 6+ but the big downside is going to be cycling. I need to keep my phone with me when cycling so I'm going to have to find the smallest under-the-saddle bag that will accommodate an iPhone 6+. It will be on a road bike. Anyone have any recommendation? Snarky comments expected and welcomed. Extra points for helpful references.
Fixed.

Just click on the smiley and it will be inserted into your post.

Now, how about this for the iPhone?

I have one on each of my bikes. Works great.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.