Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bike for 5 foot woman**********

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-09-05, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all-

New user to the forum here looking for advice. My wife is 4'11' and looking for a bike in the $400-$500 range. She's had a problem finding bikes that have a short enough cross tube. It seems most manufacturers (at least at that price point) shorten the height but not so much the length. Any ideas?
Old 04-09-05, 09:29 AM
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check around and see if you can find an leftover 04 Gary Fisher Tassajara GS in the small size. Typically that fits women of her size quite well, and it should be in that price range.
Old 04-09-05, 10:42 AM

Bikes: 2004 Raliegh Retro Glide 7(green of course), 2005 Stingray Pea Picker 2005 Specialized Hardrock 2014 Trek Crossfit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toenail
Hello all-

New user to the forum here looking for advice. My wife is 4'11' and looking for a bike in the $400-$500 range. She's had a problem finding bikes that have a short enough cross tube. It seems most manufacturers (at least at that price point) shorten the height but not so much the length. Any ideas?
Specialized offers a womens Hardrock sport in a 13" tope tube length of 540mm, standover 27.5"
I'm 5'2" and It will be the bike I buy( till I can afford the epic)
https://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9347

I've actually contemplated the specialized Hotrock 24" with a 13" frame top tube 505mm standover 25.5
https://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9385
Old 04-09-05, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello all-

Mine, who is 5' 0", has a Specialized Dolce - 44 CM - look at those, because in the lower configurations, it might hit your price target with women's specific handlebars and seats.
Old 04-09-05, 01:38 PM
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girl is 5'2" and rides a Specialized women's Hardrock Sport. She rides the medium and is still fine on it so if nothing else a small would be perfect for your wife.
Old 04-09-05, 02:21 PM

Bikes: 2004 Raliegh Retro Glide 7(green of course), 2005 Stingray Pea Picker 2005 Specialized Hardrock 2014 Trek Crossfit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skydive69
Mine, who is 5' 0", has a Specialized Dolce - 44 CM - look at those, because in the lower configurations, it might hit your price target with women's specific handlebars and seats.

The dolce is road, shes looking for mtn.
Old 04-09-05, 02:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaye
My girl is 5'2" and rides a Specialized women's Hardrock Sport. She rides the medium and is still fine on it so if nothing else a small would be perfect for your wife.
I'm 5'2" and the small is to big for me, your girl may have longer legs. I have an inseam of 28.5 and the xs frame has a lower stand-over 27.5. In the woods I want as much clearence over that bar as possible.
I know I'll never have the clearence I want.
Old 04-09-05, 05:56 PM

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my wife is 4-11 and rides a 24" wheel bike that really seems too big for her short legs. she does not do any serious riding so she has a Magna. my oldest daughter is 5-0 with long legs and rides a 26" magna. as I said they are not serious and I doubt in the 10 miles they ride a year theyve never been over 10mph. my youngest daughter is 4-6 and rides a 24" bike. my sons are both riding a 26" and one is 5-1 and the other is 5-0. they dont ride much either. it depends a lot on the bike from what Ive seen.especially the lower end stuff
Old 04-10-05, 05:13 PM
I'd rather be riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just on 5' and ride a GT Avalanche 2.0. frame size: extra small; wheel size: 26".
I love it!
Old 04-10-05, 07:29 PM
eh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 5' tall wife used to have a Specialized Hardrock something or other in size 13" (men's). It never really fit her right. She recently got a 2004 Cannondale F400 (women's specific) small which fits her much better.

She had a lot of problems with toe slap on the Hardrock. She doesn't have as much problem with that on the Cannondale.

She has more height in her torso than average.
Old 04-10-05, 08:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife is 4'11 and rides an XS frame size Devinci Camelion. Even with the XS frame size we had to put on a shorter stem and cut the bars. Lots of manufacturers make something that fit the bill, the big problem is finding an bike shop that STOCKS it so you can actually size her up on it!!!
Old 04-11-05, 03:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. She has long legs (relative to her size) and a short torso. This is where the problem of top tube length was encountered. She's a pretty competetive person and definitely looking for 26" wheel. I'll have to research some of the suggestions made in this thread and see if I can narrow it down. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-05, 07:47 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. She has long legs (relative to her size) and a short torso. This is where the problem of top tube length was encountered. She's a pretty competetive person and definitely looking for 26" wheel. I'll have to research some of the suggestions made in this thread and see if I can narrow it down. Thanks again.
Look at the Jamis Dakota or Dakota Sport. I bought one for my child a few years ago. They are relatively inexpensive and come in a 12" frame. The aluminum frame is light and should be upgradable to better components as your skill level improves.

Avoid any mountain bike with a 100mm or higher travel fork. That raises the front of the bike much to high. Also as the shop to change the springs (if it is a spring fork) to the softest springs they have. Small people can't get the shock to react if it's set too hard.

My 5' wife rides a Trek WSD (Women's Specific Design) 8000 which is probably out of your price range (but look for sales) but Trek makes other WSD bikes in the price you are looking for.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-12-05, 04:37 AM
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my girlfriend is about 5' 1 1/2" or so...

the bikes i'm mentioning here are well above your price range ($1500-4000) so maybe not much help, but anyhow...

in 2004 we got her a Specialized Epic Women's small -- the top tube is shorter than the mens Small --- it was way better than her old men's Small Cube MTB but still a little big for her (the bike was stolen last fall)

this xmas we looked at lots of possibilities and got her a Santa Cruz Juliana which is the womens REDESIGN of the Superlight -- the entire frame and design and setup was redesigned specially for women. and it is awesome: the top tube is shorter, the bottom bracket lower, the height of the top tube lower, shorter cranks, shorter brake levers, etc. it is the first MTB where the top tube is short enough and the seat low enough that she can REALLY get behind the seat for aggressive downhills... and it has really helped her riding!

anyhow, i can REALLY recommend the Santa Cruz Juliana.
the Specialized Women's bikes are ok, but not quite as small as was our impression of almost all other "women's designs". when staying with 26" rear tire it is very very hard to make it low and short enough...

no idea if Santa Cruz has a less expensive version?