Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changing tire widths

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Changing tire widths

Old 04-12-05, 05:06 PM
lin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changing tire widths

I saw a very nice hybrid bike for sale. A Fuji something or other, anyway, it comes with road tires (wheels). I ride on gravel a lot and I would like to know how wide a tire i could put on a frame designed for road tires. I hate the wobbly feeling I get on gravel with narrow tires. TIA

I have been good, I did a search on bike fit and found a lot of really good info about websites and such on this forum. Many new bookmarks. Thanks to everyone.

I plan on commuting with my new bike and while I will be on pavement most of the way, the shoulders are gravel and thus a more mountain bikey tire gives a feeling of security. Drivers can be so rude. I am quite unfit at the moment, so I think a hybrid bike will be best - I can work on my basic fitness without straining my neck, my muscles and cardivascular will give me enough trouble = don't need any more.
Old 04-12-05, 05:08 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how wide depends on frame clearance. I notice now many of these newer bikes have pretty tight clearance in there so you will have to measure
Old 04-12-05, 05:12 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
If you saw this bike at a bike shop, call them and ask them for options and advice. If you can, tell us more about the wheel size, and size tires that are currently on the bike. You'll find lots of friendly advice here, we need to know what you have now. If the bike has 26 inch wheels you have the most options, if 700 wheels fewer options.
Old 04-12-05, 05:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's a Fuji hybrid, I would be surprised if it won't take tires up to 37mm. Ask at the store - check to see what tire size can fit on the bike with fenders. I mention fenders because they make a BIG difference on a rainy day.

About riding on gravel: I have no problem on my hybrid with 32mm tires, so 35 or 37 would feel even more secure.
Old 04-13-05, 07:18 AM
lin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, it comes with 26mmx700 tires.

I found the bike on ebay - and it probably would be smarter fo me to go to one of the local bike shops, and if I buy 2nd hand, at least be able to test ride. So thank you very much. I will learn to read and understand the tech details that come with bikes - It's like a whole new language fo me.
Old 04-13-05, 07:22 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lin
OK, it comes with 26mmx700 tires.

I found the bike on ebay - and it probably would be smarter fo me to go to one of the local bike shops, and if I buy 2nd hand, at least be able to test ride. So thank you very much. I will learn to read and understand the tech details that come with bikes - It's like a whole new language fo me.
That's really smart, you can shop, get frame size that you need, look at your options and test ride. Have fun and enjoy, let us know what you come up with.
Old 04-13-05, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Fuji Supreme which is one of their hybrids. Since my bike trail offers about 3 miles of gravel and then 8 miles of paved surface I have ridden both surfaces. I find that the 700x35mm tires it came with are very comfortable on both surfaces. They will slide around a bit on the softest gravel, but nothing my novice skills can't handle. There is enough cushion for the bumps and little enough rolling resistance on the pavement. I do second the LBS suggestion, however, to really get a feel for the bike.