Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Home Made Stands

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Home Made Stands

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05, 07:57 PM
Bicycle Rider & Mechanic

Bikes: Superlight, Dragon Team, Eclipse, Om Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Home Made Stands

I need to know how to make a home made stand. I saw a thread before that had a whole bunch of homemade stuff on it and I saw some stands. Does anybody have suggestions on making a homemade stand? It would be cool to make one and I don't wnat to spend like $150 on a pre made stand it just seems like a rip off. Any instructions would be great. Thanks I tried the Search Function and I was not successful.

John
Old 04-13-05, 08:06 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it is a rip off. You can figure out how to make a free standing stand on your own, its a simple concept. I dont know your living quarters so this may not work but if you have a basement with an unfinished ceiling....
take two pieces of wood or something thats maybe 2 feet long.
On each end screw in a VINYL COATED screw on the bottom
Put another hook but this time a smaller metal non coated hook on the other end
Doing this for both pieces remember!
Now, on the beams that are supporting the floor above it running horizontly, screw in yet 2 more screws around 20 inches apart.
The screw attached to the seperate boards will lock right into place with the ones on the beams.
Hang up bike

Total cost= under 10 bucks
Old 04-13-05, 08:08 PM
Bicycle Rider & Mechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wnat to be able to service the bike with the stand, particullary making the stand out of steel pipe or possibly PVC
Old 04-13-05, 08:12 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So you dont wnat just a hanging type where the bike hands from the ceiling, but a free standing thing? Then yea steel pipes will work. If you've got the right bites to drill through that you can do it. Just use nuts and bolts to hold it together rather than weld.
Old 04-13-05, 08:31 PM
We drive on the left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An alternative to making your own is to find an old indoor trainer and remover the mag wheel. I have been using my mag trainer for years as a bike stand. I simply undo the mag wheel from the frame and bingo instant bike stand. I'm sure there are plenty of mag trainers available second-hand just waiting to be converted.

CHEERS.

Mark
Old 04-13-05, 08:33 PM
likes to ride bikes

Bikes: Specialized hardrock, Rocky mountain vertex, Kona Stuff jr, Speciazlized Stumpjumper fsr comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wanting to have a stand also but its hard because the underside of any bicycle is unven so it can balence on a stand like a dirtbike. I think the only option is to hang it from the celing.
Old 04-13-05, 08:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys have inspired me, I just finished all my homework for the night, I think I will spend the rest of the night drawing up some plans of my own. If they get half decent I might post them. Also, I think pvc would be too flimsy.
Old 04-13-05, 08:49 PM
likes to ride bikes

Bikes: Specialized hardrock, Rocky mountain vertex, Kona Stuff jr, Speciazlized Stumpjumper fsr comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking like just a basic would block stand of some sort with a half pipe piece of pvc thats the bottop of the frame would sit on. Ill try to make some plans also. I guess the size of pvc would differ between diffrent bikes.
Old 04-13-05, 09:16 PM
Bicycle Rider & Mechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can always make a stand that connects to your seat or a stand that sticks out and holds to the upper part of the frame.

John
Old 04-13-05, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alright, so here's a little something I threw together. alright, so this is a pretty crappy 3-view with a perspective to give you some kind of idea. everything is threaded steel pipe.
(1) cross joint
(2) 45 deg elbows
(3) 90 deg elbows
(4) T-joints

you might want to throw some end caps on all those, it would help the base balance better too because if not it will just be pivoting on those T-joints. the second image is just to give you an idea of how a bike might go on here. you could make different sized vertical peices to fit different bikes. I might also recommend a couple velcro straps to keep it from swinging around on there, one at each top tube contact location and then one where the seat tube crosses the vertical peice. I would imagine it would be pretty stable with the base extending out both ways, but it's really up to you how far out you decide you need them. I will also depend heavily on how tall the stand is, keep that in mind. Anyway's if I have any better idea's I'll post em up. Also if for some reason there isn't a lowes or home depot around your place you can always order from mcmaster-carr
Old 04-13-05, 10:33 PM
likes to ride bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alcahueteria that looks likea good idea but on your first drawing the back part of the frame would be to one side wouldent it? Maybe you could back the back part shorter so it would sit on the B/B shell or around there.
Old 04-13-05, 10:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure I understand, the bike would basically just be hanging from the top tube the way I have it drawn up. what do you mean it would be to one side?
I think you are talking about having the bike's bottom bracket sit on the back (right vertical peice) of the stand? I think that would be a lot more difficult to secure.
Old 04-13-05, 11:07 PM
likes to ride bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the back part of the stand it seems to "go through " the fame to hold onto the top tube. In real life it can go through the frame the bike would be leaning on one side or the other of the back part of the stand. Yes i realize it is hard to realize but i dunno how to say it and diffentley.
Old 04-14-05, 12:22 AM
a blend of wit and charm

Bikes: Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got this Blackburn stand many years ago and it's all I've ever needed. It's got a very simple design that could be copied for a home stand. It would be nice to have to rotating clampy thing but I've always worked on my bikes this way so I guess I am used to it. Before this I used two 2x4's two feet apart attached from floor to ceiling with a bike hook on each. I would hang the bike from the top tube on the hooks. That was when I was in the eighth grade.

Anyway... this stand. One part I did not photograph is the black part that the downtube is resting againt. It's concave to wrap slightly around the tube. A PVC pipe cut lengthwise in half and padded would do the same thing. It came with a toe-clip strap where the velcro pants-leg strap is. The toe clip strap was a pain in the ass and scratched frames. If the strap is not on there, the bike could (and does) tilt forward if the back wheel is removed. If you imagine setting the bike into it; you will see that it's basically a triangle that the weight of the bike rests into.

The part that holds the front wheel straight isn't even really necessary as another strap or device would do the same thing.

It's a little low for working on the bb for any length of time. I raise it up sometimes.

When testing the drive-train at high RPMs, it's a little wobbley. If I were to copy parts of it to make my own, I would make the base more sturdy. I have sandbags in the studio in which I live and work, so I just use those to secure it when I need to.
Old 04-14-05, 09:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, the bike would be on one side of the stand, the side the little nubs at the top are sticking out of (see the bottom right drawing on the 3-view). it would just hang there, so you may want to extend that side of the base an inch or two out more than the other side. But yeah, it would just hang there like if you had to pegs sticking out the wall.

that stand looks nice, I didn't know blackburn made stands.
Old 04-14-05, 03:51 PM
Shins hurt like a motha

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice pics ov the rack!! lol
Old 04-14-05, 07:04 PM
biketilldeath

Bikes: 2005 Norco Aline:D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
k i have an exellent idea that im trying to work out, because i though the smae thing. im not spending that much money on a stand. all you need to do is get a pair of vice grips big enough to hold the seat post a 1/4inch(est) thick pieve of metal in a close to 75degree bend and a 1/2inch(est) piece of rubber. weld metal to the jwas of the vice grips attach the rubber to the metal and weld the grips to a simple stand like that of a normal bike stand.