Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 05:29 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bendembroski
Thanks on behalf of Peter.
Do you know what screen name he registered under?
Old 03-04-15, 06:02 PM
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PeterBoutakis
Old 05-10-15, 11:41 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just discovered the Helix on Friday, and signed up to get notices as the project develops. Supposedly the Kickstarter campaign will start shortly.

Assuming I want to go down this route... what are the opinions on the 1X10 vs Alfine 11 speed options?
Old 05-11-15, 01:31 AM

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a very interesting bike if it sticks to its promised price range. Certainly something I would consider.
Old 06-14-15, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
Assuming I want to go down this route... what are the opinions on the 1X10 vs Alfine 11 speed options?
I like Alfine IGH, but for the money, and considering Zee components are not crap, I'd probably save a few bucks and go with the 1x10. Especially with the real wide gear 1x10 cassettes popping up here and there--11x36 is pretty standard, but 11x40 is out there, with kits to go 11x42. I still don't think you'd get the range of an Alfine 11 with 1xAnything drivetrain, however. So it really depends on your needs.

I just saw this bike posted on BikeRumor (with a hilarious post by someone claiming this is a "total ripoff of Brompton") and then found this thread. Love the idea, would like to see this option out there, and would definitely consider it against other folders in the same price range.
Old 06-14-15, 10:38 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
I like Alfine IGH, but for the money, and considering Zee components are not crap, I'd probably save a few bucks and go with the 1x10. Especially with the real wide gear 1x10 cassettes popping up here and there--11x36 is pretty standard, but 11x40 is out there, with kits to go 11x42. I still don't think you'd get the range of an Alfine 11 with 1xAnything drivetrain, however. So it really depends on your needs.

I just saw this bike posted on BikeRumor (with a hilarious post by someone claiming this is a "total ripoff of Brompton") and then found this thread. Love the idea, would like to see this option out there, and would definitely consider it against other folders in the same price range.
Again... assuming I actually pursue this... I think I might just go with the Alfine 11. I find that the IGH advantages outweigh the disadvantages in situations I'm likely to use the Helix in.

However... and I swear I read this not long ago but of course I cannot find the reference anymore... is an IGH worse when climbing inclines? I know the gearing should be equivalent, but...?
Old 06-14-15, 11:11 PM

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again... assuming I actually pursue this... I think I might just go with the Alfine 11. I find that the IGH advantages outweigh the disadvantages in situations I'm likely to use the Helix in.

However... and I swear I read this not long ago but of course I cannot find the reference anymore... is an IGH worse when climbing inclines? I know the gearing should be equivalent, but...?
IGH will be both heavier and have more internal inefficiency (drag) compared to a good and well adjusted derailleur system.

But it will also shift nearly instantly and there is no additional stress on the chain from running in any gear.

Last edited by ShortLegCyclist; 06-14-15 at 11:13 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 06-15-15, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

I have both, and if you do a lot of climbing, would recommend you get a double chainring and 8-10 gears in the rear: While a good solution for urban use*, an IGH is indeed heavier and has more drag than a well-tuned derailleur.

Going back to a derailleur-based bike after riding around with an IGH is like removing your shoes after a day of skiing. Light feet :-)

* Lets you change gears even at a stop, and requires very little maintenance
Old 06-15-15, 12:13 PM

Counterpoint: I used to do a fairly hilly commute and didn't mind doing it on a Nexus 8 IGH. Besides the range -- no matter how I geared it, I was always looking for either more top end or low end gearing. The drag of the internals wasn't really an issue I noticed, anymore than the slight drag from the dyno front hub. I imagine that an Alfine 11 would address the gearing issue somewhat, and I even rigged up a double-chainring --> Nexus 8 setup, but sold it shortly after without trying it out on an actual commute.

But now I ride a derailleur drivetrain bike. Part of the switch is that I learned to work on der drivetrains, so adjustments are no longer an issue. And for my uses of a folder, the 1x10 drivetrain on the Helix would be fine, especially with a wide range cass out back.

It's all good, no matter what you're using for a drivetrain, but for the price, I would save a few bucks and get the der drivetrain Helix. OTOH, I'd get either of the Downtube belt drive IGH bikes because they are such a screaming deal...
Old 06-15-15, 12:39 PM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
I have both, and if you do a lot of climbing, would recommend you get a double chainring and 8-10 gears in the rear: While a good solution for urban use*, an IGH is indeed heavier and has more drag than a well-tuned derailleur.

Going back to a derailleur-based bike after riding around with an IGH is like removing your shoes after a day of skiing. Light feet :-)

* Lets you change gears even at a stop, and requires very little maintenance
Based on the efficiency numbers for most IGHs and derailleur systems I've seen, tires are likely to make a bigger difference than transmission.
Old 06-15-15, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Counterpoint: I used to do a fairly hilly commute and didn't mind doing it on a Nexus 8 IGH. Besides the range -- no matter how I geared it, I was always looking for either more top end or low end gearing. The drag of the internals wasn't really an issue I noticed, anymore than the slight drag from the dyno front hub. I imagine that an Alfine 11 would address the gearing issue somewhat, and I even rigged up a double-chainring --> Nexus 8 setup, but sold it shortly after without trying it out on an actual commute.

But now I ride a derailleur drivetrain bike. Part of the switch is that I learned to work on der drivetrains, so adjustments are no longer an issue. And for my uses of a folder, the 1x10 drivetrain on the Helix would be fine, especially with a wide range cass out back.

It's all good, no matter what you're using for a drivetrain, but for the price, I would save a few bucks and get the der drivetrain Helix. OTOH, I'd get either of the Downtube belt drive IGH bikes because they are such a screaming deal...
And I used to ride only derailleur bikes and now almost entirely IGH.

The NuVinci has the worst drag, but I can feel the some even with my Rohloffs.

I don't mind the Seattle hills with most of my IGH hubs except the Nexus 7 and NuVinci, at 32-24 gear inches with my current setups, I'm not spinning anywhere steep with those hubs. My Rohloffs go down to 17 and 19 gear inches and I can spin up any hill in this area with them.
Old 06-15-15, 03:49 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
No thanks, My $600 foldie Is just fine,,,,$1300~$1600,, for a foldie,,LoL
Old 06-15-15, 06:04 PM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist
And I used to ride only derailleur bikes and now almost entirely IGH.

The NuVinci has the worst drag, but I can feel the some even with my Rohloffs.

I don't mind the Seattle hills with most of my IGH hubs except the Nexus 7 and NuVinci, at 32-24 gear inches with my current setups, I'm not spinning anywhere steep with those hubs. My Rohloffs go down to 17 and 19 gear inches and I can spin up any hill in this area with them.
When I owned my Xootr Swift and I had the NuVinci N360 hub built into my a custom wheelset I thought I was going to be in heaven,...I DESPISED IT!!! The drag was huge. I'd slow down and STOP on a downgrade. I guessed it was faulty, so I loosened up the cone nut a bit. (I guess that's correct) It caused less drag - bit it was still an issue for me. I sold the bike to someone who knew about the hub and loved it. I'd have been better off with a standard derailleur,...
Old 06-15-15, 09:26 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Show me ANY road bike, titanium frame, with that level of compentry on it, for $1300~$1600.

Hint: They don't exist.

Willing: To be proved wrong.
Old 06-16-15, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by jur
Show me ANY road bike, titanium frame, with that level of compentry on it, for $1300~$1600.
No kidding. This is what piqued my interest in the Helix. Same thing with the Downtube belt drive IGH bikes -- most full-size bikes with belt drive and Nexus 8 hubs are in the $1000-1200 range...

...and they fold!
Old 06-16-15, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I think back about the Dahon I used to have it make me appreciate the Birdy that much more, and paid less than $300 for a like new Speed P8. But like we used to say, different strokes...

The Helix looks interesting, or at least the marketing does. If they can launch it as presented at their price point it will be worth checking out. With the larger wheels and ti frame it should't require suspension to have a decent ride. Like CF, the more mainstream ti gets the better for everyone.
Old 06-17-15, 02:59 AM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You lack ambition lol.
There are many folders worth investing in other than a cheap commuter bike. They can really preform and go off road, I have a downhill BMW moutain bike.

Spending more on a folding bike than the ridgid bike offen means it opens up more cycling opputunies with a bike that is comparable to a ridgid bike.
Old 06-27-15, 10:23 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Haven't been on this thread for a bit... so, ah, the consensus is that the 1X10 is better overall than the Alfine 8 or 11? My only reference is my 6 speed Brompton, and I suspect that's not the best reference.
Old 06-27-15, 11:37 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't think "better" is the right word... some people want more of an urban bike while others are more interested in minimising weight while retaining gear range... or simply like a derailer better... although $100 for a Zee rear hub, cassette, shifter and derailer seems like not bad pricing... assuming these are all Zee branded.
Old 07-20-15, 09:01 PM

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I sent Peter Boutakis an email asking for an update on the Helix folder... here is the reply I got from him. Still looks to be an interesting bike...

Anyone interested in an older Pacific Reach Trail, Downtube VIII or original Downtube Mini in mint green? Gotta raise some cash somehow...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pine Cone, thank you for your interest in Helix.
Since our last blog post we have had to spend some time making updates to out patent applications to account for slight design changes. We have also completed and submitted our Kickstarter campaign for review and approval. Once the project is approved we will announce the official launch date. We are planning to bring Helix to Kickstarter this month. Details regarding our production schedule will be included on our Kickstarter page.

Thank you for your patience during this difficult start up period. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions.

Best Regards,

Peter Boutakis, Founder
Helix Folding Bike
peter@ridehelix.ca
https://www.ridehelix.ca

Old 07-22-15, 03:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was very interested in this bike, but the Kickstarter time stretch, and that it is still in a quantum state, led me to pick up the BD-1 instead. Some interesting design and engineering ideas, but my experience with the GoBike has made me a bit gun shy...

Maybe in a year or so and some used ones start showing up I'll revisit it.
Old 08-04-15, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Double post.

Last edited by shrooms; 08-06-15 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Marking.
Old 04-17-17, 12:01 PM

Bikes: Montague Swissbike X50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still curious about this bike myself, and just saw on their website that they will resume taking orders come Winter 2017.

Anyone know if any bikes have been delivered yet?
Old 04-17-17, 03:26 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
None yet. They are getting close now. The original plan of teaming up with a company was abandoned (reasons unknown) and a factory is being set up. I still believe they will pull it off. (there is another Helix thread with more info.)