Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Which speedometer/tripometer?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend told me the cat's eye (i think thats what he said) is one of the better ones because of it's accuracy. Personally i can't see how one would be more accurate than another unless some neglect to count a rotation now and then.

Anyway, all i want is speed and trip distance, and nothing else is important.
(i would like 2 tripometers, which my friends cats eye has) I realize that whatever i get will have other things such as total miles driven (odometer) and possibly some other things. Thats fine, tho i'd rather not have too many features so that i have to scroll thru a million things, tho i can liv with that.

So what do you think is the best one is? I'm sure there must be considerations i haven't even thought about, so clue me in.

Thanks
Old 02-17-03, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Sigma 1400. It works very well. The motorcycle riders are installing Sigma's on there motor bikes for the accuracy and max speed functions. you can select between two different bikes, that might be what you want for two tripmeters. I believe there lower end versions will still have the functions you want.
Old 02-17-03, 10:52 AM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second what Bobatin says about the Sigma Sport computers. They are by far my favorites. They are (relatively) a breeze to set up. I just installed a Cateye the other day, and it was a pain!

You probably won't need all the features of the model 1400. In their current line up, the 500 has all the most basic functions.

I just saw that Nashbar has the Sigma Sport Targa on sale for about $14.00. Nice price. The Targa mounts on the stem instead of the handlebar and has a heavy duty cable. It's intended for mountain bike use, but I use it on my touring bike because it doesn't get in the way my handlebar bag.

Don't skimp too much on features. I like having maximum speed, average speed, current speed, cumulative distance, trip distance, and ride time. You may find yourself wanting some of these things, too.

As for accuracy. Some computers can be set more accurately than others. Some use a 4 number for wheel size diameter, others use a 3 digit number. The more digits, the more accuracy.

Other brands work well, too. I'm just a fan of the Sigmas.
Old 02-17-03, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many wheel size numbers does the sigma have?
Also, how about these.......... https://www.sportchalet.com/product/i...713103.1097321 Theyre cheap, but are they any good? (i'd like to find one locally instead of ordering online, and sportchalet is near me)
Old 02-17-03, 11:00 AM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whoa! Just looked at Nashbar they have some great prices on Sigma Sports. It looks like they are clearing out old stock. If the shipping and handling doesn't kill you, it looks like you can get a bargain!

BC 401 $9.95
BC 600 $10.95
BC 800 $12.95

I have the 800 on two of my bikes. The 600 would probably do everything you want.
Old 02-17-03, 11:13 AM
I am a lonely visitor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by dazco
How many wheel size numbers does the sigma have?
Also, how about these.......... https://www.sportchalet.com/product/i...713103.1097321 Theyre cheap, but are they any good? (i'd like to find one locally instead of ordering online, and sportchalet is near me)
The Sigma Sport BC 600 and up use 4 digits to set wheel size.

I'm not sure about lower in their line.

I've never used one of the Bell computers, so can't say either way. The MTBR reviews on the Bell computer are mixed. I DO agree that it is good to spend locally if possible.
Old 02-17-03, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm...........the shop just down the street has last years model of the specialized speedzone sport for $20, which not only has all the features i need, but allows you to set it by wheel size, OR by wheel roll-out. Thats sounds great to me for accuracy ! How are these????
Old 02-17-03, 11:44 AM
I am a lonely visitor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can set any of 'em by roll-out. Done properly a roll-out will give you a more accurate setting than the chart that comes in the instruction book.

I'll let someone with experience tell you about the Specialized computers.
Old 02-17-03, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, i'm outa here and on my way to do some chores and shopping, so i'll probably grab one one the way. The newer specialized are nice, and i may spend more and go for one of those instead of the one on sale, which is very different. Thanks.
Old 02-17-03, 01:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, i went out, but came back w/o looking for a computer. I did however go to the shop down the street. Now i'm considering a wireless. Is there anything to consider with a wireless besides the extra battery?
Old 02-17-03, 02:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just saw that specialized has a wireless on special for 40 bucks, normally 70. I really like the specialized that are round and attach to the handlbars with a clamp type thingy, and have a round automotive style speedometer. Nice !

I just have to find out what disadvantages wireless has other than the extra battery for the sensor. Anyone know?
Old 02-17-03, 03:15 PM
I am a lonely visitor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run wireless on my mountain bike and like it. Some people report that they have trouble with high power lines creating interference and false readings on wireless computers. It has never been a problem for me.
Old 02-17-03, 05:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about this....the sigma sport wireless upgrade....
https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ype=&estoreid=

I like this idea because if i got that plus the sport 600 computer i'd have the ability to be wireless, but i could also use the wire system that comes with the computer if the wireless doesn't work well. I can get both for $30 at Nashbar at thier sale prices.

Anyone used this sigma wireless upgrade with thier sigma computer?
Old 02-17-03, 05:43 PM
I am a lonely visitor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's the set-up I use. I recommend it.
Old 02-18-03, 12:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent my holiday off researching these $%&# things !! But i finally decided on the Planet bike protoge 5.0. I gave up on the wireless idea and found 2 computers i like due to the readouts, which show all the info i want at one time, eliminating the need to keep pressing buttons. I decided thats the most important thing after all this research. The other one was the Topeak panoram, but it's reviews werent nearly as good and it's more expensive.

The Planet bike is only $15 too!! I was willing to pay a lot more, but with the display i like and the reviews that were better than most any other at any price, i'll go with it. (actually it was the 8.0 and 9.0 reviews that i read, but the 5.0 is the same minus a few features which i could care less about)

Only problem is that Jenson says they are on order, so i'll have to wait for my email alert when they get them if i can't find them elsewhere at a similar price. (hopefully in town) Anyone have one of these?
Old 02-20-03, 10:25 AM
reddingmountainbiking.com

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll 3000sl, Cannondale F500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still like the Avocet 35 the best. The magnet is a ring which mounts on the front hub. For normal (ie Shimano) hubs, the ring clips on. For my King hub, an adhesive ring is used. The sensor is down on the front of the fork. It is out of the way and very clean. The computer is very easy to use.
Old 02-20-03, 03:27 PM
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Vista GPS is where it's at! Tells you more than you'd ever care to know about your ride including ride profiles and top map overlays of the whole ride.

Here's two samples of what's possible:
Trail Profile

GPS Route Map Overlay

Tracks TONS of other data points too...avg speed, top speed, total moving time vs. stopped time, etc.
Old 02-20-03, 03:36 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet, how much does one of those set you back? Do you need to buy additional software to create the topo and the profile, or are those included or available online?

Sounds like that would be a fun project!

L8R

BTW, where in CO are you? I almost almost almost moved out to Evergreen this past year. Had a decent job offer in Golden. My wife got sick and changed the plan! Arrrgh, so close, yet so far!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 02-20-03, 03:54 PM
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello again!

The Vista MSRP's for $349...I stumbled accross a Yahoo! Auction and stole it for $225 - the software runs from $80 to a bit more. Look for a full review on the site soon.
Old 02-21-03, 12:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appriciate all the recommendations. But i decided on a supergo thats wireless and has the display i really want, IE: 4 things at once, AND CHEAP....$29. I do like that Avocet 35 for the circular hub mounted magnet tho !! I'm sure it's very precise and reliable.
Old 02-21-03, 01:08 PM
bike/raft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So first it was a planet bike now a supergo? I have a planet bike that works great and it was insanely cheap and it's very accurate.
Old 02-21-03, 01:36 PM
#GoatRidesBikes.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's inexpensive and it works - I'm all for it too.

I've just got this geeky need for eXpensive gadgets!
Old 02-21-03, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, i may be wrong but i could swear the supergo i'm getting is made by planet bike. (or whatever factory makes em for PB) Check it out........the display looks like the PB, but the casing is nicer IMO, and it's wireless.....(and the color matches my stumpjumper!)
Old 02-26-03, 06:49 PM

Bikes: LeMond Victoire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey dazco, I also have a Planet Bike Protégé 9.0 installed on 1 of 2 mountain bikes I own. ($24 at my LBS on sale.) I've had it for about a year now, and it seems to be working fine. I have a Power-Tap installed on my 2003 LeMond Victoire road bike.

It allows me to monitor all of the following; Power, maximum and average watts, speed, maximum/average, distance, time, cadence instantaneous and average rpm, total energy expenditure in kilojoules, and heart rate. (all of which after a ride can down load to my PC for review).

Best of all, it was FREE!!!

Last edited by Cipher; 02-26-03 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 07:39 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I don't use bike computers, for the type of riding I do, they are downright dangerous and un-needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.