Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member TenSpeedV2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    My Bikes
    Felt TK2, Felt Z5
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Making the transition from bullhorns to drops

    I would like to make the transition over drops away from bullhorns. I have a nice FSA road drop bar that I will be putting on my TK2 probably tonight after I stop at the shop and buy new tape. I tried this bar once before and it was nice but really missed the bullhorns. Hand position is my biggest concern. I tend to grab the bullhorns just past the bend and feel like I can really transfer power once I start pedaling. Haven't found that spot with the drops. Any advice to make this work?

    My riding is commute, fun, food delivery and no track at all. Nearest track is almost 2 hours away. I run a front brake with a cross lever if this matters.
    I don't like gumwall tires. I never have. I never will.

  2. #2
    Senior Member cDiff Notorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    My Bikes
    Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get hoods or stick to bullhorn

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,382
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really confused... Don't drops give you the exact same position with bullhorns when you're hands are on the hoods? Bullhorns are essentially "half" of drop bars... Right?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,007
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it ain't broke...

    But if you really want, go with hoods/dummy levers to get the feel of the power position of bullhorns. I'd recommend just dumping the cross lever and buying a set of Cane Creek or Tektro single speed hoods/levers and just hook up whichever one you want to use for your brake and and stick something in the other lever to keep it from rattling.

    Last edited by nightfly; 12-08-15 at 11:40 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member cDiff Notorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    My Bikes
    Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a silicon sealant to keep it from rattling. Havent had problems... yet

  6. #6
    Senior Member TenSpeedV2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    My Bikes
    Felt TK2, Felt Z5
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    I'm really confused... Don't drops give you the exact same position with bullhorns when you're hands are on the hoods? Bullhorns are essentially "half" of drop bars... Right?
    Going without hoods they are not the same.
    I don't like gumwall tires. I never have. I never will.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,382
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
    Going without hoods they are not the same.
    Who the heck would go with drops without hoods? I don't even think I've ever seen drops without hoods. Are you doing it for looks?

  8. #8
    Senior Member SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    6,161
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    Who the heck would go with drops without hoods? I don't even think I've ever seen drops without hoods. Are you doing it for looks?
    Have you looked at a track bike before?

    Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava


  9. #9
    Senior Member TenSpeedV2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    My Bikes
    Felt TK2, Felt Z5
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    Who the heck would go with drops without hoods? I don't even think I've ever seen drops without hoods. Are you doing it for looks?
    Track drops but you get the idea. You have never seen them without hoods?

    I don't like gumwall tires. I never have. I never will.

  10. #10
    canis lupus familiaris rex615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    En plus one
    Posts
    1,929
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    Who the heck would go with drops without hoods? I don't even think I've ever seen drops without hoods. Are you doing it for looks?
    Track bikes don't have brakes.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,382
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
    Have you looked at a track bike before?

    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
    Track drops but you get the idea. You have never seen them without hoods?

    Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    Track bikes don't have brakes.

    Is the OP's bike a track bike? Is the OP a professional who needs to forgo the weight of hoods on his bike?

    I think not.

    In fact, in the OP it states "nearest track is 2 hours away."

    So I guess I shall rephrase my question for those of you who don't understand to "Who the heck would go with drops without hoods who doesn't need to for a very specific purpose such as a track bike without brakes."

  12. #12
    Senior Member seau grateau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Shogun Selectra, Dolan Pre Cursa
    Posts
    6,320
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    So I guess I shall rephrase my question for those of you who don't understand to "Who the heck would go with drops without hoods who doesn't need to for a very specific purpose such as a track bike without brakes."
    People who wanna look cool AF.
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    "I made love to your mother dozens of times last week, and she doesnt know what a worn chain ring looks like"

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,863
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
    I would like to make the transition over drops away from bullhorns. I have a nice FSA road drop bar that I will be putting on my TK2 probably tonight after I stop at the shop and buy new tape. I tried this bar once before and it was nice but really missed the bullhorns. Hand position is my biggest concern. I tend to grab the bullhorns just past the bend and feel like I can really transfer power once I start pedaling. Haven't found that spot with the drops. Any advice to make this work?

    My riding is commute, fun, food delivery and no track at all. Nearest track is almost 2 hours away. I run a front brake with a cross lever if this matters.
    Only way for you to get that same feel and power is with hoods, like others are saying.
    Stick to the bullhorns. That's all I use on the street. I have a road bar if I want to really hammer but... on the street, bullhorns are more comfortable, cleaner looking and you can get just as aero.
    btw, if you do any climbing, the bullhorns are way better.

  14. #14
    Senior Member SpeshulEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    6,161
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    Is the OP's bike a track bike? Is the OP a professional who needs to forgo the weight of hoods on his bike?

    I think not.

    In fact, in the OP it states "nearest track is 2 hours away."

    So I guess I shall rephrase my question for those of you who don't understand to "Who the heck would go with drops without hoods who doesn't need to for a very specific purpose such as a track bike without brakes."
    You don't need hoods to have a brake on drops though.

    And I'll still say...take a look in the "Post your singlespeed/fixed gear" and "bike porn" threads and you'll see plenty of bikes with drops and no hoods. In fact, I'd say there are far more fixed gear bikes out there with drops and no hoods than drops with hoods. Do hoods serve a purpose, absolutely, are they necessary, not really.
    Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava


  15. #15
    Senior Member SCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    My Bikes
    Heavy Pedal Zephyr, '15 Bianchi Super Pista, Fuji Roubaix LTD
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that of you're going from horns to drops, go with hoods on the bars. You explained that you like the position that is similar on your bullhorns.

    I went from bullhorns to compact drops on my Super Pista, and I have compact road drops on my Zephyr. I did not go with hoods on either, I don't really miss the bullhorns and I adapted pretty quickly to drops sans hoods. I still run a front brake and a cross lever. When I'm stopping I usually rely on the front brake, and I'm usually on the flats when stopping. I'm sure that running hoods would make riding "faster" because I wouldn't be changing positions, but I haven't felt like this that really impeded my ability to enjoy riding at speed.

    I would stand by my position that you probably want hoods on drop bars to maintain that position you like from bullhorns.

  16. #16
    Senior Member TenSpeedV2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    My Bikes
    Felt TK2, Felt Z5
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    Is the OP's bike a track bike? Is the OP a professional who needs to forgo the weight of hoods on his bike?

    I think not.

    In fact, in the OP it states "nearest track is 2 hours away."

    So I guess I shall rephrase my question for those of you who don't understand to "Who the heck would go with drops without hoods who doesn't need to for a very specific purpose such as a track bike without brakes."
    I plan on doing it. I rode it before but was really missing the bullhorns. I have been riding more and more on the flats now and think that I will be alright with the transition. It really isn't a matter of weight savings, the bike weighs 16.6 lbs with the computer, mount, and both a front and rear light mount. I am set as far as that goes.
    I don't like gumwall tires. I never have. I never will.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend staying with the bullhorns for the kind of riding you said you'll be doing. For the flats I feel like I'm able to get just as low/aero stretched out on bullhorns as I would in drops. But sounds like you wanna give em a shot so just make the switch and give yourself ample time to adjust to it, both types of bars have their own qualities. You might also want to play with the stem angle with the drops to find a nice comfortable height

  18. #18
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern, Ontario
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or a slightly longer stem, perhaps. That could put the drop bar closer to your bullhorn position.
    Fixed Gear Randonneur
    A cult within a cult

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with a pursuit style bullhorn. I run a nitto Rb-021 ssb. It has a really nice curve on it that allows me to go from the curve to the tops with ease for lever braking or get down on the drops while standing for skid breaking out of the saddle. It does everything well really. Dummy levers on drops is silly. I love the look of drops but I think it takes too much effort to get from the drops to the tops for lever braking. IMHO. rb-021_SSB-1-wm.jpg

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Night, Wilier Izoard XP, 1981 Bianchi Pista, F. Moser
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drops with hoods offer the most hand positions. The only valid argument against them is really a personal objection to their appearance.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but we are talking about fixed gear bikes on the street here. Unless you want dummie hoods which adds weight and defeats the whole point of sleek and minimalist track bike philosophy. Do what you like I guess.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Night, Wilier Izoard XP, 1981 Bianchi Pista, F. Moser
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ufbeans View Post
    Yes but we are talking about fixed gear bikes on the street here. Unless you want dummie hoods which adds weight and defeats the whole point of sleek and minimalist track bike philosophy. Do what you like I guess.
    Yes, and as street-ridden bikes many will have a front brake, necessitating at least one lever. The whole adding weight aspect is kinda moot--a pair of SRAM S900 levers weighs 240g. Most fixed gears weigh 18lbs+, about the same as a modern road bike with two brakes, a cassette, front and rear derailleurs, and two shifters. Track bikes aren't light.

    If you want to ride brakeless, bullhorns are fine. Drops are fine too, but the "hood" hand position isn't that comfortable for long distances. If you're going to use a brake, just use drops and hoods.

  23. #23
    Senior Member seau grateau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Shogun Selectra, Dolan Pre Cursa
    Posts
    6,320
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Version View Post
    Drops with hoods offer the most hand positions. The only valid argument against them is really a personal objection to their appearance.
    This. Drops on all the bikes. It's science.
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    "I made love to your mother dozens of times last week, and she doesnt know what a worn chain ring looks like"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •