Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-05, 06:13 PM   #1
Bikeophile
BIG RING
Thread Starter
 
Bikeophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hamilton (Formerly Toronto)
Bikes:
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crash!

So I blame this on a combination of bad lighting, bad luck and being half asleep.

Last night just before midnight I was riding along, and I got to the entrance to the building (I am there every day so I should know it). There is about a 6inch curb, which at one point has pavement built up on it so it is like a ramp into a driveway. I usually just pop up on it and head inside.

But last night I must have misjudged the curb and where I had THOUGHT the ramp was, was actually about 10 feet past where I decided to pop up on the curb. So I hit the curb at about 20km/hour and although I WAS able to get my front wheel over the curb I was still launched over the handlebars directly into the chain link fench along the side of the sidewalk.

The bike hit hard too, but there wasn't too much damage done, but enough. Bent Wheel, brake caliper twisted (I don't know how the fork survived the brake twisting, but its fine). The bar tape was ripped to shreds, as was my cargo pants!

So no permanent damage done to the bike or me...but ouch, I am pretty sore today! Wheel on the truing stand, new bar tape applied and brake thrown in the garbage...and she's as good as new! I guess this is one way to ween me off the brake!

Anyways, i just wanted to share my fun!
Bikeophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 06:21 PM   #2
emayex
The Silver Hammer
 
emayex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Specialized Hardrock, Lynskey Cooper
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if that fence had not been there it might have been a lot worse
emayex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 06:41 PM   #3
HereNT
無くなった
 
HereNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sci-Fi Wasabi
Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
Posts: 5,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emayex
if that fence had not been there it might have been a lot worse
Unless there was nice soft grass on the other side....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeophile
So I blame this on a combination of bad lighting, bad luck and being half asleep.
Why did you leave the bar a couple hours before it closed?
HereNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 07:39 PM   #4
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ouch! I went brakeless after a brake malfunction too. Now when people ask me why I ride brakeless I just tell them they broke. Glad to hear you and the bike are alright though. I pretty much flip out every time I put a nick in my bar tape or damage any parts ( bike falls over "DAMNIT! WHY AM I SUCH A FREAKING IDIOT???? ARGHHHHH!!!! Oh no!! MY BAR TAAAAAAAPE!!!!" )
Its really one of thge only times when I act all melodramatic. gokiburi can probably still remember the look on my face when I showed up to a ride with my bike limply slung over my back like some kind of obscene carcass
__________________
I'm biking across North America on the Internet!
http://thedoublecross.blogspot.com/
Shiznaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 08:38 PM   #5
gokiburi
...
 
gokiburi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: sannino track, nishiki olympic conversion
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
(edit) gokiburi can probably still remember the look on my face when I showed up to a ride with my bike limply slung over my back like some kind of obscene carcass
if memory serves me right, you were grinning like a mofo. bikeophile, glad you're well enough to joke about your "miscalculation"... trying to imagine someone bouncing off a fence...
shiz, aren't you taking off pretty soon? have you resolved that crankset fiasco yet?? still holding out for the level wheelset?
gokiburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 08:57 PM   #6
tlupfer
...
 
tlupfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
ouch! I went brakeless after a brake malfunction too. Now when people ask me why I ride brakeless I just tell them they broke. Glad to hear you and the bike are alright though. I pretty much flip out every time I put a nick in my bar tape or damage any parts ( bike falls over "DAMNIT! WHY AM I SUCH A FREAKING IDIOT???? ARGHHHHH!!!! Oh no!! MY BAR TAAAAAAAPE!!!!" )
Its really one of thge only times when I act all melodramatic. gokiburi can probably still remember the look on my face when I showed up to a ride with my bike limply slung over my back like some kind of obscene carcass
Sounds like it's time to go bartapeless.
tlupfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 11:03 PM   #7
emayex
The Silver Hammer
 
emayex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Specialized Hardrock, Lynskey Cooper
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey bikeophile....whats the best deal i can get on a wheel with a level hub?
emayex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 11:57 PM   #8
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokiburi
if memory serves me right, you were grinning like a mofo. bikeophile, glad you're well enough to joke about your "miscalculation"... trying to imagine someone bouncing off a fence...
shiz, aren't you taking off pretty soon? have you resolved that crankset fiasco yet?? still holding out for the level wheelset?
I have a nice new set of FSA vigorelli track cranks, even though I ordered sugino 75s. I guess they smoke too much pot at bikeroom.com... I like the cranks and they will look sweet, but they have ISIS splines which means I need a new bottom bracket (for $100 no less). Thats been delayed but hopefully I will be back on the road by tomorrow evening.
Then I should hopefully be getting that level wheelset within a week because I'm leaving on May 13... I really hope to get some good riding in this week because I've been without a working bike for far too long... but I'll be busy doing a whole lot of other stuff too!
__________________
I'm biking across North America on the Internet!
http://thedoublecross.blogspot.com/
Shiznaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 06:25 AM   #9
Bikeophile
BIG RING
Thread Starter
 
Bikeophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hamilton (Formerly Toronto)
Bikes:
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emayex
hey bikeophile....whats the best deal i can get on a wheel with a level hub?
Emayex, I PM'd you. email me once you have read the note and we can chat more about it.
Cheers
Rob
Bikeophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 AM.