Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member jnoble123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    There's something strangely compelling about riding fixed

    I've been riding bicycles for years. I ride on and offroad using road, touring, and mountain bikes. I ride all seasons of the year including in the winter months on snow and ice. I even have a unicycle (that I really am not good at riding) and a dirt surfer.

    All of these bikes and types of riding are interesting and fun.

    After reading about fixed-gears/single-speed riding for years I decided to have one built for me to try. I really didn't know what to expect and to be honest I was a bit worried thinking that I might be nuts to even consider it!

    I've had my Surly Cross check setup as a fixed-gear for around three weeks now. I can't explain exactly why but I absolutely love riding this bike. It's more then just the single gear or the fact that I have to pedal all the time but I can't seem to find words to explain or share the feeling I have riding this bike!

    I started out with a low gearing of 36 X 18 (54 gear inches) and then after a few days moved to 36 X 14 (69 gear inches). I was worried about possible knee injury so I started out relatively low in the beginning. I am now about to move up again to 42 X 15 (75 gear inches). I climb and descend hills as well as ride on flat land.

    My legs are definately stronger after riding the bike for such a short period of time. Racing friends has me very competitive even when going uphill. Riding downhill is still fun as I am learning the art of doing fast circles while seated.

    I've ridden multi-geared bikes a few times since I started riding fixed. I find that I definately pedal more then I used to and I seem to be pedaling in higher gears then I used to as well. I also miss the feedback from the chain that you get when riding fixed.

    I guess the important thing is that I am having incredible fun riding this bike. Although I enjoy my other bikes too, this one has captured me in a way that's totally different from any bike I've owned since being a kid. In fact I often feel a strong pull towards this bike whenever it's time to go out and bike somewhere. In a surprisingly short period of time it's become my flagship! (grin).

    Explaining this feeling is very hard to do since I haven't been able to capture all the reasons why this bike is so damn enjoyable for me. Hopefully someone else here will also be able to understand (and perhaps even articulate) what makes a fixed-gear bike so damn compelling that it can take over your heart, body and mind in such a short period of time! (VBG).

    ~Jamie N
    www.bicycletouring101.com

  2. #2
    ambassador of good will *new*guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NOVA
    My Bikes
    many.
    Posts
    2,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope. nobody here has any idea what you are talking about.

  3. #3
    Get the stick. darkmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)
    Posts
    1,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an addiction man. You will want to build another fixie....and another. There is no escape.

  4. #4
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club. If I am ever bored all I have to do is take the fixed gear out for a ride.
    Last edited by jfmckenna; 05-18-05 at 02:31 PM.

  5. #5
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, welcome to the club! Just make sure your new fixie is the bike of choice for your next tour....
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  6. #6
    cxmagazine dot com pitboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Titus road, Fort CX
    Posts
    8,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have more track bikes than I do time to ride them all. I will be cutting down the herd by one this month. I need a place to sleep...
    Deathlap - cyclocross, training, beer,...escape hatch

  7. #7
    plucky russian. salome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chicago. southside.
    Posts
    1,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [165]
    I have more track bikes than I do time to ride them all. I will be cutting down the herd by one this month. I need a place to sleep...
    care to donate one to the cause? the val cause?

  8. #8
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [165]
    I have more track bikes than I do time to ride them all. I will be cutting down the herd by one this month. I need a place to sleep...
    Doesn't sleeping cut into your riding time, too? Maybe you'll find yourself having to cut the herd down more once you have a place to sleep...

  9. #9
    Major Major somebodies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    oakland
    My Bikes
    Zebrakenko (nishiki knock-off) fixed. Its all broke though. Now, some other old, unidentified japanese frame, freshly spray-painted black(kinda hot). Puch, ss...or is that fffda7th's?
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my old SS speed yesterday ouf necessity. It was real sluggish, odd, and BORING. I have a hard time explaining to friends why fixed is so fun. I think I can convert a couple, and then they'll know, then we'll get matching jackets and stuff.
    he's getting rather old but he's a good mouse

  10. #10
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding fixed (48x17) for about three weeks now (350 miles).

    I haven't found it as compelling or different as I expected. Yes, one needs to adjust to constant pedaling in the first few times, but not that big a deal as I pretty much pedaled constantly anyway before, except around corners.

    But honestly I am a bit frustrated with the gearing, I ride only flats, but lately often with good winds. Somedays I with a tailwind find myself wanting a higher gear pedaling at 130rpm, going 30mph (where I used to go 35mph on my geared bike) - but more frequent is the 28mph range where I am at 125rpm, but wanting to go faster. But I find my starts from green lights in traffic a bit sluggish, not as quick across the intersections as I like, so a higher gear is not an option yet.

    Of course this is why a fixed bike is so great, it forces you to both strengthen legs and develop higher cadence. Even after these few weeks I am stronger. But I do often want two gears, one for strong headwinds and fast starts, one for top speed.

    I rode the many geared bike today on a whim, and didn't notice any transition issues, ride basically felt the same.

    But all this said, I am compelled to ride the fixed, I want to, I regret not riding it today, wish I could for the ride home.

    Al

  11. #11
    King of the Hipsters
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noisebeam wrote:

    "But I do often want two gears..."

    Ah, the search for the elusive perfect gear.

    I have two chainrings and three sprockets, which gives me five possible combinations, from wickedly fast to fascinatingly precise.

    After much experimenting, I find I like control more than speed, and it looks like I will settle into a 72" gear, (47X17), a bit lower than I would have initially predicted.
    However, as I said, in mixed urban and suburban riding, with gentle hills, I prefer the enhanced control the slightly lower gearing offers.

    That said, I find myself not only compelled, but obsessed.

  12. #12
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cox
    Ah, the search for the elusive perfect gear.
    ...I find I like control more than speed, and it looks like I will settle into a 72" gear, (47X17), a bit lower than I would have initially predicted.

    That said, I find myself not only compelled, but obsessed.
    My next experiment will be to try 47x16, keeping the 17 on the other side of the hub for an easy flip/flop change.
    Note the 47 (I ordered from Harris I think per your heads up) instead of the 48 I have now, obsessed is the reason.

    Al

  13. #13
    all about the rhythm
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    chicago-land area
    My Bikes
    too many...
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noisebeam
    I rode the many geared bike today on a whim, and didn't notice any transition issues, ride basically felt the same.

    Al
    i've noticed when i hop on a non-fixed bike it feels like the cranks are bent (at least at first)...anyone else feel this??

  14. #14
    Senior Member jnoble123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmother
    It's an addiction man. You will want to build another fixie....and another. There is no escape.
    How true this will likely turn out to be. I am intensely curious so I am already considering converting my Icebike to fixed-gear and then trying it out in the woods with summer tires.......

    ~Jamie

  15. #15
    Senior Member jnoble123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fixer
    Hey, welcome to the club! Just make sure your new fixie is the bike of choice for your next tour....
    I already have some plans to take it on at least one shorter tour this year. If I really like it then I will likely consider a longer tour too!

    ~Jamie

  16. #16
    Senior Member jnoble123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (snip)

    But honestly I am a bit frustrated with the gearing, I ride only flats, but lately often with good winds. Somedays I with a tailwind find myself wanting a higher gear pedaling at 130rpm, going 30mph (where I used to go 35mph on my geared bike) - but more frequent is the 28mph range where I am at 125rpm, but wanting to go faster. But I find my starts from green lights in traffic a bit sluggish, not as quick across the intersections as I like, so a higher gear is not an option yet.

    (end snip)

    Have you tried any lower gearing yet? A low gear seems to make those downhills incredibly exciting (or so I found it on my first, second and third downhills with a 53 gear inch setup).

    (snip)

    Of course this is why a fixed bike is so great, it forces you to both strengthen legs and develop higher cadence. Even after these few weeks I am stronger. But I do often want two gears, one for strong headwinds and fast starts, one for top speed.

    (end snip)

    I've been noticing a real improvement in leg strength and endurance. It will be interesting to ride a geared touring bike soon for a comparison especially as I increase my gearing while riding!


    (snip)

    I rode the many geared bike today on a whim, and didn't notice any transition issues, ride basically felt the same.

    But all this said, I am compelled to ride the fixed, I want to, I regret not riding it today, wish I could for the ride home.

    (end snip)

    I've been meaning to ride my touring bike during a commute this week to do some comparisions but I really don't want to (and I have a positive history with that bike too!)

    Same with my offroad bike. I like the route but I miss the feel of the ride!

    ~Jamie

  17. #17
    "I love lamp"
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    My Bikes
    06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it is addicting. I have seen my cycling abilities go up across the board, handling, speed, endurance, etc. I have been doing hill repeats with my fixed gear and it has been a tremendous help. Can't wait till my summer jobs start so I can start commuting on it.

  18. #18
    i buy vinyl
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    back in the 'burgh
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnoble123
    I've been riding bicycles for years. I ride on and offroad using road, touring, and mountain bikes. I ride all seasons of the year including in the winter months on snow and ice. I even have a unicycle (that I really am not good at riding) and a dirt surfer.

    All of these bikes and types of riding are interesting and fun.

    After reading about fixed-gears/single-speed riding for years I decided to have one built for me to try. I really didn't know what to expect and to be honest I was a bit worried thinking that I might be nuts to even consider it!

    I've had my Surly Cross check setup as a fixed-gear for around three weeks now. I can't explain exactly why but I absolutely love riding this bike. It's more then just the single gear or the fact that I have to pedal all the time but I can't seem to find words to explain or share the feeling I have riding this bike!

    I started out with a low gearing of 36 X 18 (54 gear inches) and then after a few days moved to 36 X 14 (69 gear inches). I was worried about possible knee injury so I started out relatively low in the beginning. I am now about to move up again to 42 X 15 (75 gear inches). I climb and descend hills as well as ride on flat land.

    My legs are definately stronger after riding the bike for such a short period of time. Racing friends has me very competitive even when going uphill. Riding downhill is still fun as I am learning the art of doing fast circles while seated.

    I've ridden multi-geared bikes a few times since I started riding fixed. I find that I definately pedal more then I used to and I seem to be pedaling in higher gears then I used to as well. I also miss the feedback from the chain that you get when riding fixed.

    I guess the important thing is that I am having incredible fun riding this bike. Although I enjoy my other bikes too, this one has captured me in a way that's totally different from any bike I've owned since being a kid. In fact I often feel a strong pull towards this bike whenever it's time to go out and bike somewhere. In a surprisingly short period of time it's become my flagship! (grin).

    Explaining this feeling is very hard to do since I haven't been able to capture all the reasons why this bike is so damn enjoyable for me. Hopefully someone else here will also be able to understand (and perhaps even articulate) what makes a fixed-gear bike so damn compelling that it can take over your heart, body and mind in such a short period of time! (VBG).

    ~Jamie N
    www.bicycletouring101.com

    word.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •