Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How do you de-grease a chain?

    I got some of that "dry" chain lube stuff and the instructions say to degrease the chain first. How do I go about doing that?

  2. #2
    mountain troll deadly downtube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    santa cruz mountains
    My Bikes
    the hummer brand mountain bike
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use "degreaser" on it... they sell it at the hardware store... don't inhale too deeply, don't get in your eyes or other orifices.

  3. #3
    Total Hack labratmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a deep clean, follow this:

    1. Remove chain and place in container.
    2. Fill container with engine degreaser. You only need to fill so that it covers the top of the chain. (Found cheaply at hardware, discount, and auto stores. Shouldn't be more than a couple of dollars for a can.)
    3. Let chain soak for a couple of hours or more. If possible, put the chain on top of a washer or clothes dryer for a cycle or two to knock the nasty bits loose.
    4. Wash chain down with water. Get that nasty degreaser off there.
    5. Put chain back on fixie (or SS).
    6. Lube.
    My brain: it's my second favorite organ. - Woody Allen (Sleeper)

  4. #4
    Iguana Subsystem dolface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    4,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sheldon sez "drop the chain into a plastic Coke bottle with a couple of ounces of un-diluted citrus degreaser, cap it, and shake thoroughly. Fish the chain out with a spoke, rinse in water, and you are all set! (I am told that Pepsi bottles also work, and are easier to remove the chain from, because they have a wider mouth...but I'm a Coke guy, not a Pepsi guy.)"

  5. #5
    SuperstitiousHyperrealist jinx_removing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    unknown road conversion, half built Benotto track
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this in a thread a while back. This is the best way to clean a chain as far as I know:

    1) Remove chain
    2) Place chain in two liter bottle
    3) Pour about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of degreaser in the bottle(it is important to note that the chain need not be totally immersed in degreaser)
    4) Put cap on bottle and shake for about a minute and let it sit for a few minutes
    5) Repeat step 4 as many times as you wish, I only do it twice
    6) Use a screwdriver or other long thin object to remove the chain from the bottle(much harder than it sounds. Most of the time I just end up cutting the bottle open)
    7) Run the chain under extremely hot water for a minute or so
    8) Try to shake off/wipe off as much excess water as possible let sit until dry
    9) Place chain on bike and lube

  6. #6
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't someone suggesting putting a string through one side of the chain and running it out of the 2 liter so it was even easier to get the chain out in that last thread?

  7. #7
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HereNT
    Wasn't someone suggesting putting a string through one side of the chain and running it out of the 2 liter so it was even easier to get the chain out in that last thread?
    Yep - works like a charm.

  8. #8
    LV 99 9999HP/9999MP Erich Zann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    West Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    crappy fake bike
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx_removing
    I posted this in a thread a while back. This is the best way to clean a chain as far as I know:

    1) Remove chain
    2) Place chain in two liter bottle
    3) Pour about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of degreaser in the bottle(it is important to note that the chain need not be totally immersed in degreaser)
    4) Put cap on bottle and shake for about a minute and let it sit for a few minutes
    5) Repeat step 4 as many times as you wish, I only do it twice
    6) Use a screwdriver or other long thin object to remove the chain from the bottle(much harder than it sounds. Most of the time I just end up cutting the bottle open)
    7) Run the chain under extremely hot water for a minute or so
    8) Try to shake off/wipe off as much excess water as possible let sit until dry
    9) Place chain on bike and lube
    yes i do this. i use hydro-seal. purchase at your local automotive store.

  9. #9
    Banned wagathon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianz
    I got some of that "dry" chain lube stuff and the instructions say to degrease the chain first. How do I go about doing that?
    Sop it down good at the bottom of the chain, over its whole length with White Lightening by turning the pedals backwards, and then then "dry" it off with a cotton towel while it is still wet. Apply a second time but let it turn to wax before using a cotton towel to remove the excess. Then, throw away the "dry" chain lube and you are ready to go.
    Last edited by wagathon; 06-19-05 at 05:30 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member eblaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Langster and saving for dream bike Specialized Roubiax.
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple technique that I use is to spray some wd-40 into a wrag. Put your hand on the chain and move the pedals around so that the chain goes around a couple times. Then after that is said and done I take a clean rag and do the same thing, then I put the lube on.
    It's all about commuting on the single speed & being nerdy.

    My Website ;x

  11. #11
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eblaska
    A simple technique that I use is to spray some wd-40 into a wrag. Put your hand on the chain and move the pedals around so that the chain goes around a couple times. Then after that is said and done I take a clean rag and do the same thing, then I put the lube on.
    WD-40 isn't a degreaser though. And it's not good for your chain. Essentially, you're adding a cheap all-purpose grease and then putting another lubricant on top. That's double muck and will attrack all sorts of nasty gunk. Say no to WD-40!

  12. #12
    Senior Member eblaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Langster and saving for dream bike Specialized Roubiax.
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    WD-40 isn't a degreaser though. And it's not good for your chain. Essentially, you're adding a cheap all-purpose grease and then putting another lubricant on top. That's double muck and will attrack all sorts of nasty gunk. Say no to WD-40!
    Actually, it's probably one of the greatest degreasers for a bike chain I believe. If you do it how I said it. I've been working with it in the Lab at my school on chains for about 2 months now and at my work. You have wipe with a clean towel and you just put the WD-40 on the towel and don't spray it on the chain directly and it works wonders and it will take all the "Nasty Gunk" out. It is perfect for degreasing because of the different effects on the lubricants/teflon lubricants especially.
    It's all about commuting on the single speed & being nerdy.

    My Website ;x

  13. #13
    mountain troll deadly downtube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    santa cruz mountains
    My Bikes
    the hummer brand mountain bike
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WD-40 bleh

  14. #14
    Not Badass, it's Tim. BadAssBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    NJS Peloton, 2002 fuji track, 2002 fuji league (MIA), 2005 bianchi pista, Chopper from NoName Customs.
    Posts
    685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eblaska
    I've been working with it in the Lab at my school on chains for about 2 months now and at my work.
    ahhh a WD-40 expert.

  15. #15
    LF for the accentdeprived
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WD-40 does dissolve grease and stuff pretty well. I use it on my cogs. But all the guys here are talking about cleaning the chain fully, first and foremost, inside to get those nasty quartz crystals out. For that, you do have to soak the thing in something, not just rub it nice and shiny.

  16. #16
    Senior Member eblaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Langster and saving for dream bike Specialized Roubiax.
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssBiker
    ahhh a WD-40 expert.
    I'm awesome and I'm a ninja ;l
    It's all about commuting on the single speed & being nerdy.

    My Website ;x

  17. #17
    Wher'd u Get That Jacket? flythebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in the Tubes
    My Bikes
    Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie
    Posts
    1,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by labratmatt
    If you want a deep clean, follow this:

    1. Remove chain and place in container.
    2. Fill container with engine degreaser. You only need to fill so that it covers the top of the chain. (Found cheaply at hardware, discount, and auto stores. Shouldn't be more than a couple of dollars for a can.)
    3. Let chain soak for a couple of hours or more. If possible, put the chain on top of a washer or clothes dryer for a cycle or two to knock the nasty bits loose.
    4. Wash chain down with water. Get that nasty degreaser off there.
    5. Put chain back on fixie (or SS).
    6. Lube.
    Also a good idea to put a magnet in the bucket to attract the small bits of metal that flake off.
    WeBlog: http://flythebike.blogspot.com
    "Then know, that I have little wealth to lose. A man I am, crossed with adversity; My riches are these poor habiliments, Of which if you should here disfurnish me, You take the sum and substance that I have." Shakespeare: The Two Gentlemen of Verona
    Calfee Dragonfly Record, Calfee Luna Fixie T/A, Level, Campy Cervelo P3SL Campy, Lemond Poprad Campy, Fisher X-Calibur

  18. #18
    dc pirate, 4evah. chimblysweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    seattle
    My Bikes
    several. blue. fun.
    Posts
    3,193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or, there's the once-a-week quickie method.
    1. Buy Simple Green towels (disposable, biodegradable towels pre-soaked in the stuff)
    2. Hold one around chain, crank slowly.
    3. Be careful not to get hand/towel cranked into cog/chainring (ouch!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •