Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. #1
    72 & Sunny adamkell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    '93 Yamaguchi Pursuit track bike, Alan Super Record
    Posts
    1,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Forum's Greatest Day: June 28, 2005

    Could it be?

    • Mayo's thread
    • Anti-anti-French bashing
    • Red Phils + non-machined Deep Vs at Yojimbo's
    • Karsten
    • Trade Parts thread
    • Boston CL rant


    Anything else?

    Edit: new list items
    Last edited by adamkell; 06-28-05 at 03:44 PM.

  2. #2
    72 & Sunny adamkell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    '93 Yamaguchi Pursuit track bike, Alan Super Record
    Posts
    1,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ****. someone fix my subject thread topic typo.

  3. #3
    y la`xe ạp của ti bombusben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Boston craigslist posting was pretty good too.


    http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/bos/70245362.html

  4. #4
    Radio Bemba 00.0 EnLaCalle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rocking the spot.
    Posts
    866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the boston craigslist posting was HIL-arious. Esp. b/c it's all the same stuff on the NYC westside bike path.

  5. #5
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CL post was great - I think it's relevant to any trail/path. I took the lakefront path here in Chicago last night (and I always tell myself never to do it) but I wasn't up to dealing with rush hour traffic right downtown and the path's quicker for where I needed to be but goddamn, that post echoed every single sentiment I had last night.

    This one kid stepped out in front of me, all of 2 years old. Her 5 year old brother had to go get her. I could see her so it wasn't a close call or anything but the parents didn't even give a rats arse. That pissed me off. They don't deserve to be parents. Watch your kids!

  6. #6
    some dude jayrooney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    797
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know it's a good day on the forum when it's the end of the day and you haven't done any work.... and you think it's 10 days earlier than it really is.

  7. #7
    Fly sillygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    1980 Trek 660 fixed-conversion, IRO Mark V, Trek 6700 MTB, Univega Converted-Beater
    Posts
    359
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You read my mind - I haven't gotten anything done today since I have been BF distracted.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F Scott Fitzgerald

    Check out my new food blog!!

  8. #8
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here but blame it on a cable model outage and when electricity was shut off twice in two hours as ComEd was working on something. Threw my entire morning and early afternoon off. So what did I do? Go ride for a bit. And then come back here and post, post, post!

  9. #9
    Patrick Barber weed eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CL post was great but left out 2 things that I used to encounter on Seattle's Green Lake MU path

    -- dog owners walking along the path with those long retractable leashes, the dog no the opposite path, the thin cord from the leash stretched across the path like a bad vaudeville act

    -- (this only happened once) a young (4-6yo) person veering along the path toward me on her bicycle, sobbing dramatically, no parent in sight.

    I wish it was June 18. I'd have ten more days to do the things that are due today. Whoo!

    Where's the anti-anti-french bashing?

  10. #10
    BIG RING Bikeophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hamilton (Formerly Toronto)
    Posts
    787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you guys have been busy today! I've been out walking or on my bike (and pitching in at a buddy's bike shop this afternoon while he takes a mental health day), so I just got home and caught up on everything...

    Wow that Mayo got everyone fired up...AGAIN!.

    But that Minuteman Rant on CL...Man that was great! That's my vote

  11. #11
    Lowlife Drunk Jose Cuervo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Early 1980's Rossin 49x17, Aero Head Wheels (White) & Formula Hubs, Cinelli Stem & Drops, Ofmega Cranks (Mistral) & Headset
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    The CL post was great - I think it's relevant to any trail/path. I took the lakefront path here in Chicago last night (and I always tell myself never to do it) but goddamn, that post echoed every single sentiment I had last night.
    Ditto. That one had me dying. I just read it today.

    I rode the lakefront path 2 Sundays ago coming back from the Fulton St. Market and I had run-ins with almost all those bastards. Except for the little ucker with the bb *** that is.

    After that ride I had little to no hope for humanity.

  12. #12
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sillygirl
    You read my mind - I haven't gotten anything done today since I have been BF distracted.
    Ditto.

  13. #13
    Traffic shark
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
    Posts
    4,612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'm famous.
    Regards,
    William
    For the SD Crowd

    sdbikecommuter.com

    View from the handle bars:
    sdcyclist.blogspot.com

  14. #14
    72 & Sunny adamkell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    '93 Yamaguchi Pursuit track bike, Alan Super Record
    Posts
    1,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrooney
    you know it's a good day on the forum when it's the end of the day and you haven't done any work.... and you think it's 10 days earlier than it really is.
    haha!

    somehow I actually managed to get quite a lot of freelance work done today. didn't do squat for my regular job, but still.

    and to end the day on a high note, I went out and picked up some rogue smoke ale.

    good day!

  15. #15
    All Things Go s2sxiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    dayton, oh
    My Bikes
    01 bianchi pista, custom. 04 felt f-15, full record.
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and this retort (consult webster's kiddos, you know who you are) should be added to the list

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=89
    NO! It is the FARGATE! It is not some other kind of gate from a movie or TV show that I've never seen! Notice that it has a wheelchair and a pink mohawk? We're not getting sued!

  16. #16
    i believe in me evanyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh man, the westside path in NYC! it's rough because i live at 200th st, a block away from where the path starts, and sometimes i just don't feel like hittin broadway all the way down so i take the path... on a good day it's nice and i can get down from 200th to battery park in about 40 minutes... on weekends, forget it.

    unique to the westside path: weeks from about 170th-135th it basically turns into a dominican/puerto rican block party complete with vendors. barbeque smoke in my eyes!

  17. #17
    Arschgaudi Mayonnaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago (Beverly)
    My Bikes
    Merckx Team SC, Masi (fixed), Merckx Cyclo-Cross
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Forums greatest day had to be when the ULock story broke. Now that was something.

    Can't wait to tell the guys at work about that one.

    Laughing my arse off.

    I sure had fun.

    Now get out and start training for the century. I want to take over the streets.

    I love you all.
    Work To Eat
    Eat To Live
    Live To Ride
    Ride To Work

  18. #18
    I sing the body electric
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PHL
    My Bikes
    2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weed eater
    The CL post was great but left out 2 things that I used to encounter on Seattle's Green Lake MU path

    -- dog owners walking along the path with those long retractable leashes, the dog no the opposite path, the thin cord from the leash stretched across the path like a bad vaudeville act

    -- (this only happened once) a young (4-6yo) person veering along the path toward me on her bicycle, sobbing dramatically, no parent in sight.

    I wish it was June 18. I'd have ten more days to do the things that are due today. Whoo!

    Where's the anti-anti-french bashing?
    the anti-anti-french bashing is in the paris track cycling thread

    and
    along the lines of your 4-6yo
    i've had a recent rash of family cycling outings (good thing) where the 8-12 yr old son (always the little boys) is doing his damndest to go faster than the rest of the family. To be sure he's going fastest, hes got his head completely turned around (bad). Meanwhile his family is yelling at him to turn around as i approach fast as i can. Eventually, I get run off the road by a goddamned 10 yearold!!!
    i guess i just dont have the heart to kill a child... it'd really save that kid a lot of trouble in 6 years when the kid runs a red light while looking back at his buddy after a drag race and kills that new family of cyclists

  19. #19
    All Things Go s2sxiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    dayton, oh
    My Bikes
    01 bianchi pista, custom. 04 felt f-15, full record.
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celephaiz
    the anti-anti-french bashing is in the paris track cycling thread

    and
    along the lines of your 4-6yo
    i've had a recent rash of family cycling outings (good thing) where the 8-12 yr old son (always the little boys) is doing his damndest to go faster than the rest of the family. To be sure he's going fastest, hes got his head completely turned around (bad). Meanwhile his family is yelling at him to turn around as i approach fast as i can. Eventually, I get run off the road by a goddamned 10 yearold!!!
    i guess i just dont have the heart to kill a child... it'd really save that kid a lot of trouble in 6 years when the kid runs a red light while looking back at his buddy after a drag race and kills that new family of cyclists
    yeah. that's definitely what's going to happen chuck sheen. Maybe you shouldn't go "as fast as you can" down a bike path. maybe you could just smile and be happy the kid is on a bike and enjoying himself. After all, he just wants to be you, blazing down that path as fast as he can for the world to see. ***hole.
    NO! It is the FARGATE! It is not some other kind of gate from a movie or TV show that I've never seen! Notice that it has a wheelchair and a pink mohawk? We're not getting sued!

  20. #20
    I sing the body electric
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PHL
    My Bikes
    2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s2sxiii
    yeah. that's definitely what's going to happen chuck sheen. Maybe you shouldn't go "as fast as you can" down a bike path. maybe you could just smile and be happy the kid is on a bike and enjoying himself. After all, he just wants to be you, blazing down that path as fast as he can for the world to see. ***hole.
    wow, thats some venom.... you don't even know how fast that is.... i could have stopped (though i did, just in the grass) but OH RIGHT! Stopping on the path would have gotten me hit!

    here's a little experiment for you. Have your buddy ride blindfolded right at you and see if it matters how fast youre going

    when your done, reread the post and realize that my behavior was not a problem in any way. a bike path is two ways. Families riding 4 across with a child swerving aimlessly (and blindly) is NOT appropriate. Get you &hit straight


    *Edit* also mayo's post being trashed was a high point (funny-wise) of my day

  21. #21
    All Things Go s2sxiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    dayton, oh
    My Bikes
    01 bianchi pista, custom. 04 felt f-15, full record.
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celephaiz
    wow, thats some venom.... you don't even know how fast that is.... i could have stopped (though i did, just in the grass) but OH RIGHT! Stopping on the path would have gotten me hit!
    is that before or after you say "as i approached as fast as i can"

    Quote Originally Posted by celephaiz
    here's a little experiment for you. Have your buddy ride blindfolded right at you and see if it matters how fast youre going
    can I be stopped in the grass at the side, and can my buddy be a 10 year old who weighs maybe 60 pounds?

    Quote Originally Posted by celephaiz
    when your done, reread the post and realize that my behavior was not a problem in any way. a bike path is two ways. Families riding 4 across with a child swerving aimlessly (and blindly) is NOT appropriate. Get you &hit straight
    first, you meant "you're"

    second, weren't the parents trying to stop him? and it wasn't your behavior that was a problem, it was your need for attitude about a 10 year old just out for a good time, your statement that you didn't have the stomach to kill him, and your automatic assumption that he's gonna kill someone in a car. He's a kid, kids are reckless from time to time, and their moms and dads yell at them. You remember that; it was what, last week for you? Isn't mom yelling at you now?
    NO! It is the FARGATE! It is not some other kind of gate from a movie or TV show that I've never seen! Notice that it has a wheelchair and a pink mohawk? We're not getting sued!

  22. #22
    I sing the body electric
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PHL
    My Bikes
    2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s2sxiii
    is that before or after you say "as i approached as fast as i can"



    can I be stopped in the grass at the side, and can my buddy be a 10 year old who weighs maybe 60 pounds?



    first, you meant "you're"

    second, weren't the parents trying to stop him? and it wasn't your behavior that was a problem, it was your need for attitude about a 10 year old just out for a good time, your statement that you didn't have the stomach to kill him, and your automatic assumption that he's gonna kill someone in a car. He's a kid, kids are reckless from time to time, and their moms and dads yell at them. You remember that; it was what, last week for you? Isn't mom yelling at you now?
    The fact is, I ride that path to avoid cars during rush hour and to gain access to the closed road on weekends (not a path, but the path is on the way). Its a two way path. I yield to all in front, and those passing me. I have the right to be ticked at someone not paying attention and thereby endangering himself and me. If a kid pulls a *** and fires i guess it would matter to you that his parents told him to stop first. Sound like an exaggeration? yeah of course it is, but so was my thought about plowing through him. I didn't harm him (didn't come close and for that matter, didn't think about it). If you're going to sit around here and take every passing thought/phrase as an emphatic manical urge perhaps you should pull that sequoia out of your a**. It has got to be way too hard sitting in your saddle with that thing up there.

    when you'RE done proofreading my post (i guess someone's gotta do it) why don't you baste my turkey professor plum.

  23. #23
    Retrogrouch in Training bostontrevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Knee-deep in the day-to-day
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s2sxiii
    maybe you could just smile and be happy the kid is on a bike and enjoying himself. After all, he just wants to be you, blazing down that path as fast as he can for the world to see. ***hole.
    Awesome.

    A multi-use trail is just that. Wanna get your spin on, hit the streets.

  24. #24
    I sing the body electric
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PHL
    My Bikes
    2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so you're either both older than i or both younger. In either case, why didn't they teach reading comprehension in that era?

    The point was that i was run off the road by a kid with his head on backwards (meaning he was facing the wrong way). My speed was incidental and irrelevant to the issue. I could have been trakstanding and I still would have had to get out of the way. Some people are really quick to jump all over others.

  25. #25
    Retrogrouch in Training bostontrevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Knee-deep in the day-to-day
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right of way doesn't apply on a MUP/MUT any more than it does on a sidewalk (except in the "cyclists must always yield" sort of way). It's a recreational facility that mixes a broad range of traffic types including those who are too young or too canine (though I do think those people who let their dogs wander all over the paths are irresponsible and inconsiderate *******s) to be cognizant of the rules of the road.

    By riding on such a facility, you are implicitly accepting those constraints.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •