Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Tri Fixed Road eMwolB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Litespeed, Kestrel, KHS, Pinarello, GT, Mustang, Giant
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Snapple "real fact" #152...

    Very Ironic, I was eating lunch, reading a few threads and opened up a bottle of Snapple and checked under the cap...
    "real fact" #152 = In 1985, the fastest bicyclist was clocked at 154 mph.
    Was this guy and his bike strapped to a very fast moving car? LOL
    I remember doing mid 60's on my bicycle. I've come close to 154 on my "other" bike (see avatar)
    This bike and setup must have been straight out of Buck Rogers.
    Lead me not towards temptation, for I shall find it myself !

  2. #2
    shoot up or shut up. isotopesope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, co
    My Bikes
    yes please.
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    real fact: snapple sucks and donates to operation rescue.

  3. #3
    I sing the body electric
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PHL
    My Bikes
    2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why i drink newman's pink lemonade. He donates to some cause... oh wait, i drink newmans because its 99 cents and because cool hand luke was awesome. so snapple, huh? cool.

  4. #4
    Senior Member eddiebrannan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    DW
    Posts
    3,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drafted a car at bonneville (on 20" wheels too!)

    http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR%20Bike01.htm

  5. #5
    Cornucopia of Awesomeness baxtefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    not where i used to be
    Posts
    4,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was actually more like 152 mph.
    and yes, he was strapped to the back of a car. for a while.
    and yes, it was a fixed gear.

    http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR%20Bike01.htm

  6. #6
    dc pirate, 4evah. chimblysweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    seattle
    My Bikes
    several. blue. fun.
    Posts
    3,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isotopesope
    real fact: snapple sucks and donates to operation rescue.
    your mom donates to operation rescue.

  7. #7
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh, Snapples tastes like nothing but sugar and flavouring. That stuff rots my stomach.

  8. #8
    Iguana Subsystem dolface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    4,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snapple is a nasty product and it's run by nasty people.

  9. #9
    Sweetened with Splenda
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, Alabama
    My Bikes
    Too many 80s roadbikes!
    Posts
    2,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isotopesope
    real fact: snapple sucks and donates to operation rescue.

    Snapple MAY suck, but they do NOT donate to Operation Rescue. That's an OLD lie, and has been disproven repeatedly. They're also not owned by the KKK or by Osama - which are both popular online delusions, as well.

    http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/snapple.asp

  10. #10
    Gravel for Breakfast
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Inside my scabs
    My Bikes
    Jake
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isotopesope
    real fact: snapple sucks and donates to operation rescue.
    From the Snopes Urban Legends web page

    http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/snapple.asp

    Claim: * Snapple is affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan (or donates money to the anti-abortion group Operation Rescue).

    Status: * False.

    Origins: * In 1992 a rumor wafted through the air that Snapple, the highly-popular line of ice teas and juice drinks, had ties to the Ku Klux Klan. Another specious whisper intoned that it supported Operation Rescue, a pro-life group. By year-end, a third was making the rounds, that the company brewed some of its teas in then-apartheid South Africa.

    "The rumors are so ridiculous we thought they would go away, but they didn't," said Leonard Marsh, then president of the firm. "It reached the point it was getting out of hand and we had to address it."

    In 1993 Snapple Beverage Co. went toe to toe with the slanders. Full-page ads appeared in major northern California newspapers, denying the claim that the company was allied with either the Ku Klux Klan or Operation Rescue.

    "We are not involved in any way whatsoever with the KKK, Operation Rescue or any other type of pressure group or organization, period," said the ad. The claims about South Africa (a far less widespread rumor and one that only followed months later on the heels of the other two) were not publicly addressed, but they too were false.
    Sin after sin I have endured, but the wounds I bear are the wounds of love.

  11. #11
    Sweetened with Splenda
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, Alabama
    My Bikes
    Too many 80s roadbikes!
    Posts
    2,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dolface
    snapple is a nasty product and it's run by nasty people.

    Are you an anti-Semite, or what?

  12. #12
    griffin_ griffin_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    phila
    My Bikes
    raliegh "too lazy to make my own" rush hour
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    real fact: one sith of snapple real facts are false

  13. #13
    Tri Fixed Road eMwolB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Litespeed, Kestrel, KHS, Pinarello, GT, Mustang, Giant
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isotopesope
    real fact: snapple sucks and donates to operation rescue.
    My apologies to you. Had the label read "we donate to operation rescue" instead of "made from the best stuff on earth" I probably would have made another choice. Honestly, I like the taste of their Lime Green Tea.
    It's difficult to make a consumer decision these days, I have no idea what corporations donate to, who they exploit, who they help, how they treat people, etc. I'm sure there a horror stories about every company out there. So unless I find a stream with clean fresh water (tough in NYC) it's difficult to get by without pissing someone off.
    Sorry, I didn't realize this wasn't a PC post.!?!
    Lead me not towards temptation, for I shall find it myself !

  14. #14
    Yay!11! I has!!!1 ImOnCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastcoast
    My Bikes
    Cocaine the white stallion, Custom Witcomb pista, (Being restored) 80's Pogliaghi Track, (destroyed) RAP Round Breeze NJS, Cannondale Jekyll 900, 84/5 Pinarello Montello (all italian)
    Posts
    1,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenrobot
    Are you an anti-Semite, or what?
    Dude what the hell? Where did he even imply that Jews ran the company. I'm Jewish and I don't even like to see that word bandied about.
    Bloodstains, speed kills, fast bikes, cheap thrills, French girls, fine wine...

  15. #15
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veering this even more off-topic:

    eMwolB, you might find this interesting:

    http://www.theyrule.net

  16. #16
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    eMwolB, you might find this interesting:

    http://www.theyrule.net
    That blew my mind. Reminds me of this great (media specific) find: Who Owns What

    That said, I believe the speed record bicycle without any sort of drafting is by Sam Whittingham (Canada) at 78 mph. The bike was a custom recumbent (of course) with an aero shell, named the Diablo II.

    http://www.speed101.com/now/fastest_0908_6.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  17. #17
    Radio Bemba 00.0 EnLaCalle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rocking the spot.
    Posts
    866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    Veering this even more off-topic:

    eMwolB, you might find this interesting:

    http://www.theyrule.net

    Good link. Interesting site. It's too bad they don't provide links to their source information though. I sort of am inherently distrustful of work/research I haven't done myself, but still pretty badass nonetheless.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    That blew my mind. Reminds me of this great (media specific) find: Who Owns What

    That said, I believe the speed record bicycle without any sort of drafting is by Sam Whittingham (Canada) at 78 mph. The bike was a custom recumbent (of course) with an aero shell, named the Diablo II.

    http://www.speed101.com/now/fastest_0908_6.htm
    Actually, he's broken his own record and has reached a top speed of 81 mph. I seem to remember reading he's reached 82 mph but I can't seem to find anything now...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Whittingham

  19. #19
    Habit is a great deadener
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those flares and that chainring!? this dude is looking for big trouble.

  20. #20
    I sing the body electric
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PHL
    My Bikes
    2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiebrannan
    drafted a car at bonneville (on 20" wheels too!)

    http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR%20Bike01.htm
    haha i misread this and thought it was some guy drafting a pontiac bonneville...

  21. #21
    sorry apologetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    ocny/bk
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Sport '04 , Mondia Professional fixed conversion
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin_
    real fact: one sith of snapple real facts are false


    i never trusted those facts anyway
    "I wear size 14 wide shoe. Just keep that in mind when you say I'm not a dreamboat, or not Mr. Right," - Chess Legend Bobby Fischer.

  22. #22
    LF for the accentdeprived
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy sh1t! I knew recumbents were fast, but this is sick! Over here, the motorway speed limit has just been risen, but 81mph is over the new, elevated limit as well... And it's a 200 m flying start, not even a top speed attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    Do you deny that you are clueless or do you just think that "moron" didn't need to be tacked on there?
    Bike on flickr and on FGG

  23. #23
    shoot up or shut up. isotopesope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, co
    My Bikes
    yes please.
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chimblysweep
    your mom donates to operation rescue.
    i think i'll go write that on the bathroom wall.

  24. #24
    Retrogrouch in Training bostontrevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Knee-deep in the day-to-day
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EnLaCalle
    Good link. Interesting site. It's too bad they don't provide links to their source information though. I sort of am inherently distrustful of work/research I haven't done myself, but still pretty badass nonetheless.
    From the front page: "The data was collected from their websites and SEC filings in early 2004"

  25. #25
    Radio Bemba 00.0 EnLaCalle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rocking the spot.
    Posts
    866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bostontrevor
    From the front page: "The data was collected from their websites and SEC filings in early 2004"
    I hear you, BT. I saw that too. But it doesn't necessarily make all that information and the way the map links up inherently accurate. These are not connections that I make and code myself. All because Snapple took out a full page ad in some newspapers and claimed that they had nothing to do with the KKK or operation rescue doesn't mean that it's true. It doesn't make the rumor false. (For the record, I don't think there's a chance in hell the rumor is true). But I'm sure you know this, because I know you're a smart guy. I was merely stating that I would feel more comfortable had I been the one who had seen those SEC filings and company websites. For the sake of accuracy. Carry on...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •