Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-05, 03:18 PM   #1
GeogScott
Track Cog=Bike Porn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes: Singlespeed 70's Road, Singlespeed Trek Mtn, Trek 6800 Mtn.
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
State of the Nation (Fixed Gear Nation)

So I've had my SS/fixies for about 2 years now, and it's changed my life I think. But thats another story

I came upon SS/fixies pretty late in the game IMO, and when I was first riding around Sacramento, I saw another fixie maybe once a week max. But now, it seems like half the bikes I see are fixies (not really, but I see 2-3 a day, I just notice them more than other types). Do you think the popularity of fixies is here to stay? or in the past has it gotten popular, then reduced to the true believers, rinse and repeat?
GeogScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 04:40 PM   #2
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like any other trend, it will continue to grow untill its popularity drives out the subculture that started it, leaving only the trendy followers who will soon abandon it when the next trendy thing comes along.
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 04:52 PM   #3
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training
 
bostontrevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knee-deep in the day-to-day
Bikes:
Posts: 5,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the subculture that started it is driven out by its popularity, who's really being trendy here?

I expect that its numbers will remain above pre-craze figures because a lot of people have latched onto the idea of cycling as urban transportation in recent years (and sometimes not-so-urban xport). Likewise, many urban cyclists--not just the hip kids--have discovered or rediscovered the simplicity and practicality of the fixed gear bicycle. So even when the trend dies down, the folks who were exposed to it and found that it was practical for their lifestyle will keep on keepin on.

Hey, I know! Let's have a fixed gear culture sticky. Pretty please!

Last edited by bostontrevor; 08-10-05 at 05:03 PM.
bostontrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 04:58 PM   #4
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree---i was being sarcastic in my previosu post. Ultimately the number of riders will stabilize and be composed of those who simly enjoy riding fixed or do so for their living. I understand what you man about the subculture trendy thing.

I got into ska music before it hit big---once it hit big at first the latecomers were demonized, then as the popularity grew, a lot of the people originally in the scene left it because it was now too cool for them. Fifteen years later, I still listen because i was always into it because i liked the music, not because of its popularility or subculture mistique. I am the same way with fixed gear riding. Although i got into the game late, i ride for the pure pleasure and simplicity of fixed gear riding. When i ride, i have a perma grin on my face, and i will continue to have that grin regardless of how many other riders there are.
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 05:07 PM   #5
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training
 
bostontrevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knee-deep in the day-to-day
Bikes:
Posts: 5,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For better or worse it was Question the Answers that was the breakthrough album for me. I was an all-wave ska junkie for the next 4 or 5 years and then finally got tired of it, in part because so much garbage was coming out and in part because that's just me.

When I moved to Boston I finally went to see the Bosstones and live the dream only to find that I was way to freakin old for that scene. I still want to catch DKM live.

(edit: I think the last album I bought--the one that made me realize it was and truly over--was, appropriately enough, Pay Attention. That's symmetry, *****es.)

THREADJACK!
bostontrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 05:10 PM   #6
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To continue the thread jack......

I know about the too old thing--my kid sister is dragging me to a RBF concert in Milw. on friday.
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 05:11 PM   #7
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training
 
bostontrevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knee-deep in the day-to-day
Bikes:
Posts: 5,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh damn! RBF!

Ha! Yeah dude, they were the JAM back in the day!

Last edited by bostontrevor; 08-10-05 at 05:19 PM.
bostontrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 05:17 PM   #8
jmgorman
antiquarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: favorite color- where you at
Bikes: ?? Volkscycle converted 53/20
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's getting too trendy you could always come hang out in the flyover states. Memphis has all of 7 people on fixies now and one of them is moving next week. We may all be poseurs though, there are no bike courier services in memphis. 8]
jmgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:12 PM   #9
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont get the possuer label. I am not a bike messenger, but i dont pretend to be one. I ride in nomal cycling clothes, dont carry a messenger bag, dont have some huge bike lock for a belt, etc. To me, its those who dress/pretend to look like/hold themselves out as messengers but who arent who are posuers. [Not that I care one way or another) But I dont consider normal dudes who happen to like riding fixed to be possuers.
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:20 PM   #10
jmgorman
antiquarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: favorite color- where you at
Bikes: ?? Volkscycle converted 53/20
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for stickin' up for us noobs, skankingbiker.
jmgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:23 PM   #11
sloppy robot
like, really sloppy
 
sloppy robot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: calipornia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanking biker

I got into ska music before it hit big---once it hit big at first the latecomers were demonized, then as the popularity grew, a lot of the people originally in the scene left it because it was now too cool for them. Fifteen years later, I still listen because i was always into it because i liked the music, not because of its popularility or subculture mistique.
15 years ago? just to clarify.. you must mean "when ska got big the 4th time...."
sloppy robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:29 PM   #12
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy robot
15 years ago? just to clarify.. you must mean "when ska got big the 4th time...."

Yes, my post was implicitly speaking of the latest wave. Aside from a few groups, i never really got into the punk/ska thing. I always preferred the twotone bands.
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:35 PM   #13
sloppy robot
like, really sloppy
 
sloppy robot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: calipornia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ah good.. a ska argument would have been so lame.. im a fan of the two tone stuff also.. and its 80s spinofffs like english beat.. but i think my favorite is all the 60s ska and rock steady.. as for fixies being trendy? man this has to die.. my dream is every person in the world is on a bike.. if its a fixed gear? so be it.. id rather see 1000 pistas cruising down sunset then the usual 3 or 4 bikers out...
sloppy robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:41 PM   #14
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy robot
ah good.. a ska argument would have been so lame.. im a fan of the two tone stuff also.. and its 80s spinofffs like english beat.. but i think my favorite is all the 60s ska and rock steady.. as for fixies being trendy? man this has to die.. my dream is every person in the world is on a bike.. if its a fixed gear? so be it.. id rather see 1000 pistas cruising down sunset then the usual 3 or 4 bikers out...
Speaking of pistas---that happened to be the most cost effective, easily available choice for me and i have no complaints. So i guess that makes me a possuer.

Lip up fatty
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:46 PM   #15
sloppy robot
like, really sloppy
 
sloppy robot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: calipornia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im not afraid of pistas
sloppy robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:47 PM   #16
crushkilldstroy
Hello.
 
crushkilldstroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy robot
id rather see 1000 pistas cruising down sunset then the usual 3 or 4 bikers out...
i completely agree. i'd love to see the fixie trend get so big that everyone burns their cars and builds bikes. getting hit by a cyclist hurts a lot less than getting hit by a car, and it also happens a lot less often.

i'll never understand the "i hate all of the johnny come latelies" mentality. i do my own damn thing and don't care what other people do.
crushkilldstroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:48 PM   #17
ryan_c
troglodyte
 
ryan_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the tunnels
Bikes: Soma DoubleCross, Surly Steamroller, various others
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Venice Shoreline Chris owns!
Seriously though, I have to say, the bands on Moon were some of my favorites.
I'll listen to most ska except for the "ska-punk" stuff and bands like RBF and the Bosstones. Ugh. The only newer ska I'll go for is the Slackers and the Aquabats.

More ska talk, less fixies.
Haha!
ryan_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 07:58 PM   #18
mcatano
Crapzeit!
 
mcatano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I seriously want to pull a Ronald Thomas Clontle on this thread.
mcatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:08 PM   #19
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thats funny---Bosstoens are what got me into ska and then as i learned more about it, i began to appreciate the older stuff, Madness, English Beat, and other twotone bands like the specials and toasters--i loved all the moon ska bands and teh locals like the invaders. But i never hoped on that i hate RBF bandwagon. As much as i'm glad the music is no longer trendy...i miss being able to go a a small club every friday to watch shows. The scene is practcially dead now and to see most ska bands, i have to put up with EMO openers. i really miss the big ska fests with 18 different bands.

Back to bikes---i was this close to purchasing an IRO, but i'm not a fan of transacting business over the internet. I like my pista except for the cheap chrome job that chips whenenever you sneeze. I'm thinking about getting it powder coated.

As far as the johnny come latetly thing. I had never heard of fixies until a few years back----What was probably a booming trend in frisco and NYC was just making waves in Wisconsin. It takes long for things to catch on in the land of cheese heads.
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:09 PM   #20
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatano
I seriously want to pull a Ronald Thomas Clontle on this thread.

no one is forcing you to read it
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:11 PM   #21
mcatano
Crapzeit!
 
mcatano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanking biker
no one is forcing you to read it
Madness invented ska.
mcatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:14 PM   #22
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ummmm no....actually the jamacins did----until it got to hot to dance one summer, and they all slowed down the tempo by half and whalla--reggee was born.

dont f*#$ with a music history minor
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:15 PM   #23
mcatano
Crapzeit!
 
mcatano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanking biker
Ummmm no....actually the jamacins did----until it got to hot to dance one summer, and they all slowed down the tempo by half and whalla--reggee was born.
I disagree.
mcatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:18 PM   #24
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What the hell do you mean, you disagree? The facts are facts. I did a thesis on the evolution of ska music. The chacterisic up beat, syncopated guiter/drums with horns and r&B style was first developed by jamacian musicians, which was later imported into britan as jamacians emigrated there.
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-05, 08:20 PM   #25
skanking biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 2,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The english twotone bands all built off of the jamaican rocksteady bands.
skanking biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.