Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Car magnet
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    My Bikes
    80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    converting to a fixed

    I can't get my cassette off my rear wheel, and i can't afford to replace the hub, so i was wondering if i just took the derailure off of my bike, (it's an old 70s ross 10spd) and welded the gears on the casettee to the hub so they can't spin as a freewheel anymore, would that make it fixed? Then in theory i could just choose the front cog and rear cog that i wanted to ride and shorten the chain? I'm not really sure on this, but it would seem plausible to me, any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member eddiebrannan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    DW
    Posts
    3,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it would, but you are advised to do a search for the many many threads on the subject. terms like "bumbike" and "suicide hub" are useful to put into the search engine, and also give you an idea of the generally-held opinions on this type of set-up

  3. #3
    如果你能讀了這個你講中文 genericbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you do it, be sure to tilt the drop bars way back, so that the bottom of the brake levers point straight forward.

  4. #4
    Car magnet
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    My Bikes
    80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't have brakes, i've been riding a free wheel for the past week with no brakes because they broke, i'm also riding flat bars.

  5. #5
    re:member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cracow, Poland
    My Bikes
    unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed
    Posts
    874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallo pesante
    I can't get my cassette off my rear wheel, and i can't afford to replace the hub, so i was wondering if i just took the derailure off of my bike, (it's an old 70s ross 10spd) and welded the gears on the casettee to the hub so they can't spin as a freewheel anymore, would that make it fixed? Then in theory i could just choose the front cog and rear cog that i wanted to ride and shorten the chain? I'm not really sure on this, but it would seem plausible to me, any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    The problem is that the cogs intended for shifting do not hold the chain too well. my home made adapter (http://www.pbase.com/wojtek_burkot/image/49244615) survived all the torque OK, but thrown chain cut the fork ends and broke the pedal spindle it caught.
    Last edited by vobopl; 11-04-05 at 07:06 AM.

  6. #6
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a cassette or a freewheel hub? If it's a freewheel hub, you can just take apart the freewheel to get it off. Destructive removal. Sheldon (sheldonbrown.com) has information about this.

    If it's a cassette hub, you have to get real creative. There is an article at 63xc.com about it.

    The best thing to do is just get a new rear wheel though. IRO has rears for $100 shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  7. #7
    Senior Member mattface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Montpeculiar, VT
    My Bikes
    Soma Rush, Fuji Cross, Raleigh Technium Mtn Bike, Ross 10 speed with Shimano 600.
    Posts
    3,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude rides a freewheel without brakes. if a $3 brake cable is too expensive, I don't think he's buying a rear wheel.

    Do us all a favor and wear a big orange traffic cone on your head when you ride so the rest of us have half a chance of dodging out of the way.

  8. #8
    re:member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cracow, Poland
    My Bikes
    unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed
    Posts
    874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #9
    King Among Runaways hyperRevue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    MKE
    My Bikes
    2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze
    Posts
    4,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattface
    Do us all a favor and wear a big orange traffic cone on your head when you ride so the rest of us have half a chance of dodging out of the way.
    That'd be perfect because it would also serve as a dunce cap.
    "I owe everyone an apology" - hyperrevue

  10. #10
    Senior Member jamey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    st. pete/tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,588
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is a surly "fixxer" an option?

  11. #11
    likes avocadoes
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    oakland, ca
    My Bikes
    heh, like that info would fit here...
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he's (and I use the male pronoun only because I don't know any women that stupid) running a freewheeled geared bike with no brakes, I doubt he's terribly concerned about the bumbike nature of the proposed setup. In this case, welding the freewheel or freehub mechanism would be a significant safety improvement over freewheeling brakeless. (ignore if you happen to be Ted Shred)

  12. #12
    MADE IN HONG KONG
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    My Bikes
    some but not enough
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Sorry guys, but this is too funny, so who stuck the worm on the hook?
    If you are not having any fun, it's all your fault

  13. #13
    Car magnet
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    My Bikes
    80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r-dub
    If he's (and I use the male pronoun only because I don't know any women that stupid) running a freewheeled geared bike with no brakes, I doubt he's terribly concerned about the bumbike nature of the proposed setup. In this case, welding the freewheel or freehub mechanism would be a significant safety improvement over freewheeling brakeless. (ignore if you happen to be Ted Shred)
    yes i would be a he, and yes i am stupid, but i am also poor. I am in art school and can't afford much, so after breaking many parts on my bike because it is going on 30 years old, i figured it would be much easier and cheaper to just convert it to a fixed since i know how to weld and don't have to pay for anything.

  14. #14
    antiquarian
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    favorite color- where you at
    My Bikes
    ?? Volkscycle converted 53/20
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, poor is fine and cheap conversions are a great way to do a cheap, no hassle bike. Just use the search function and check out sheldon's website and you can figure out how to do this without welding anything. And see if you can get a brake set up. Riding brakeless is crazy in most situations.

  15. #15
    Senior Member rvabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, i gotta know where you're from. There's an art student here in Richmond that rocks a single speed with no breaks.

  16. #16
    Iguana Subsystem dolface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    4,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallo pesante
    i don't have brakes, i've been riding a free wheel for the past week with no brakes because they broke, i'm also riding flat bars.
    try googling 'ted shred'

  17. #17
    information sponge
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Little Village, Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Mostly steel. Mostly heavy. Mostly geared, and very low, at that.
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're talking about something that is quite a bit different than converting to a fixed gear. What you're talking about is attempting to make something into something it isn't. Converting to a fixed gear isn't cheap really. Maintaining a fixed gear tends to be cheap, but building one that will last is probably going to cost you a couple hundred bucks at least. Find someplace you can save money or something you can sell and build a decent bike, 'cuz what you're talking about can get you killed, as can riding a bike with a freewheel brakeless.
    Philosophy and feelings don't change the laws of physics

  18. #18
    I need more bikes!!! Mr. Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    My Bikes
    2 roadies, 7 fixed-gears, 1 hardtail, 1 full suspension mtb, and 1 hybrid...so far.
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a new Darwin Award candidate with that set up.
    "We are few now, but one day we will rule." That's what one of my fixies whispered as I walked by. I nodded in agreement, and thanked it for not waking the others.

  19. #19
    Car magnet
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    My Bikes
    80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treechunk
    You're talking about something that is quite a bit different than converting to a fixed gear. What you're talking about is attempting to make something into something it isn't. Converting to a fixed gear isn't cheap really. Maintaining a fixed gear tends to be cheap, but building one that will last is probably going to cost you a couple hundred bucks at least. Find someplace you can save money or something you can sell and build a decent bike, 'cuz what you're talking about can get you killed, as can riding a bike with a freewheel brakeless.
    nah it's cool, i fixed it tonight, i got my welder and welded the casette solid so it doesnt freewheel anymore then i took some links out of the chain and set it on the gear i wanted, i had a little trouble with chain tension since i don't have horizontal dropouts, but i got it worked out. I'm riding no brakes on flat bars and clips.

    oh yeah and for whoever asked i go to Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah GA. A few guys here that ride fixed ride no brakes, but only a few, most have atleast a front brake.

  20. #20
    antiquarian
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    favorite color- where you at
    My Bikes
    ?? Volkscycle converted 53/20
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you at least put some JBweld on there. I hear that **** makes the bike wicked-safe.

  21. #21
    brain damaged bovine muccapazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers
    My Bikes
    Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport
    Posts
    625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallo pesante
    nah it's cool, i fixed it tonight, i got my welder and welded the casette solid so it doesnt freewheel anymore then i took some links out of the chain and set it on the gear i wanted, i had a little trouble with chain tension since i don't have horizontal dropouts, but i got it worked out. I'm riding no brakes on flat bars and clips.

    oh yeah and for whoever asked i go to Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah GA. A few guys here that ride fixed ride no brakes, but only a few, most have atleast a front brake.
    I would REALLY like to see you post some pics of your bike, mp. Especially your modified rear wheel. I like seeing improvised solutions to problems.

  22. #22
    Car magnet
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    My Bikes
    80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman
    Did you at least put some JBweld on there. I hear that **** makes the bike wicked-safe.
    what is jb weld?
    "That thing is a death trap"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Valiant
    Fence post tubing?
    We need to clone people like you.

  23. #23
    Car magnet
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    My Bikes
    80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are pictures of my bike and my conversion.







    "That thing is a death trap"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Valiant
    Fence post tubing?
    We need to clone people like you.

  24. #24
    live free or die trying humancongereel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    where i lay my head is home.
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
    Posts
    6,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    careful with the chain there...you mentioned the tension...

    if this works, then this is a great solution. if it doesn't...ouch.

  25. #25
    information sponge
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Little Village, Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Mostly steel. Mostly heavy. Mostly geared, and very low, at that.
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well that's cool and all, but what's holding the freewheel to the wheel? The whole point of a track hub is that the lockring is threaded backwards to hold the cog in place.

    Be VERY careful.
    Philosophy and feelings don't change the laws of physics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •