Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-05, 04:24 PM   #1
CF4L
Free Loader
Thread Starter
 
CF4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: albany.ny.
Bikes: Trash... for serious.
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
black ink.

well i am looking to get my first tattoo. its semi bicycle based. and i was wondering if anyone on here in the NYC or philly area has gotten black work done recently. the design i am looking to get will have some intricate shading, and I was just looking for artist suggestions in this area. also if anyone has some picture examples, that would be great...
CF4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 04:29 PM   #2
dolface
Iguana Subsystem
 
dolface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: san francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 4,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
try looking here Show & Tell your ink
dolface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 06:24 PM   #3
cabana 4 life
Senior Member
 
cabana 4 life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: chicago,il
Bikes:
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i work at a tattoo shop and here are few simple guide lines that will help

1. dont be cheap. cheap tattoos are not good .good tattoos are not cheap. in the tattoo world you get what you pay for.

2. ask if they have an autoclave in there shop, if they say no run like hell! if they say yes ask to see there latest spor test results. any good shop will have both of these. if they dont do not get your tattoo there.

3. ask to see a portfolio of there work, if they dont have one run like hell! if they do look at the work see if its good or not.

4. ask around, there are alot of good shops nyc and philly. dont just rush in because you want one right now. this will be there the rest of your life!
cabana 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 07:03 PM   #4
soyboy
Senior Member
 
soyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: brooklyn
Bikes: raleigh gran prix converted to fixed
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there's a great guy for black and white work right outside of philly, his name is ken bryan, his shop is in glenside, i have a camera on my forearm that he did and people are constantly asking about it and complimenting it, infact i'll post it in the tatoo thread later on, his website is http://www.intimatebodyart.com
soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 07:04 PM   #5
spencer
upgrade your grey matter
 
spencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SF
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
theres a guy in NYC named brian randolph.sick......he just moved out there form san francisco.check everlastingtatoo.com for his portfolio..the robot is on my left arm...not sure what shop hes working at in NYC.im sure if you called up everlasting theyd tell you where hes at now.i think its on the lower eastside.....theres a guy in philly,goes by past.not sure if hes even still tattooing.but if he is he'll be worth tracking down.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 07:21 PM   #6
spud
i am sure that i hate you
 
spud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 703
Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)
Posts: 3,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabana 4 life
i work at a tattoo shop and here are few simple guide lines that will help

1. dont be cheap. cheap tattoos are not good .good tattoos are not cheap. in the tattoo world you get what you pay for.

2. ask if they have an autoclave in there shop, if they say no run like hell! if they say yes ask to see there latest spor test results. any good shop will have both of these. if they dont do not get your tattoo there.

3. ask to see a portfolio of there work, if they dont have one run like hell! if they do look at the work see if its good or not.

4. ask around, there are alot of good shops nyc and philly. dont just rush in because you want one right now. this will be there the rest of your life!

dude youre doing some ink for me next year.
__________________
putting the pi back in pirate!
Quote:
It’s an upstanding member of the solar system
Apply the laws of earth and make it a victim
Of Proposition 187
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 08:50 PM   #7
YellowFixedGear
Fear the banana
 
YellowFixedGear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York City (Uptown)
Bikes: 1950s EG Bates track & 1960s Frejus track
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I manage a studio in Chinatown thats been around for over 15 years in NYC.
One of my artist (Nik Moore) likes to do a lot of black work as well as many other styles. He is Bike rider as well and im sure he would do work for trade for bike stuff. Otherwise his rate is $100 an hour and usually only does custom work.

his stuff can be found at our website www.sacredtattoo.com

link to some of his work.

http://www.sacredtattoo.com/index2.html

P.S.
We are a really bike friendly shop. Insted of locking your bike outside on Canal street, Bring it up while you are getting work done.. Plenty of room.. we actually have a little area where we park all of our bikes in the shop
YellowFixedGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 09:25 PM   #8
YellowFixedGear
Fear the banana
 
YellowFixedGear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York City (Uptown)
Bikes: 1950s EG Bates track & 1960s Frejus track
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ohh here is one more thing for ya..

ONLY TO BIKEFORUMS MEMBERS....

If you want to get tattood.. Come in and let me know your Bikeforums screenname and I will personally give you 10% off a tattoo/ piercing or jewelry.

PM me before you come in

****************************************************************
YellowFixedGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 10:49 PM   #9
CF4L
Free Loader
Thread Starter
 
CF4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: albany.ny.
Bikes: Trash... for serious.
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
all of these artist seem like they really really know what they are doing..

one more question being that this would be my first... obviously because this is custom, the artist must first produce a sketch. what kind of "i dont like that.. change it/do this" dialogue is acceptable/appriciated. i understand that they are artists and that i souldnt be like "do it this way" but how do i say "i dont like that"
CF4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 10:56 PM   #10
alcahueteria
Senior Member
 
alcahueteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFixedGear
Ohh here is one more thing for ya..

ONLY TO BIKEFORUMS MEMBERS....

If you want to get tattood.. Come in and let me know your Bikeforums screenname and I will personally give you 10% off a tattoo/ piercing or jewelry.

PM me before you come in

****************************************************************
dang, that's cool.
alcahueteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 11:28 PM   #11
YellowFixedGear
Fear the banana
 
YellowFixedGear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York City (Uptown)
Bikes: 1950s EG Bates track & 1960s Frejus track
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahueteria
dang, that's cool.

ehh.. I try
YellowFixedGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 01:22 AM   #12
BadAssBiker
Not Badass, it's Tim.
 
BadAssBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Bikes: NJS Peloton, 2002 fuji track, 2002 fuji league (MIA), 2005 bianchi pista, Chopper from NoName Customs.
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought you worked at sacred. We have common friends, but I don't think we have ever met. I used to work at shop on the east side.

Last edited by BadAssBiker; 11-21-05 at 01:31 AM.
BadAssBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 02:03 AM   #13
soyboy
Senior Member
 
soyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: brooklyn
Bikes: raleigh gran prix converted to fixed
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
every artist i've dealt with has made it clear that it's going on your body you need to be happy with it, i assume that's an industry standard. if they aren't receptive to your comments you can easily take your business somewhere else, i however am certainly not saying that you should try to haggle with price, that would be insulting, remember it is art but it's art that's going onto your body, you need to be happy with what you're getting and you pay for quality
soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 07:06 AM   #14
YellowFixedGear
Fear the banana
 
YellowFixedGear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York City (Uptown)
Bikes: 1950s EG Bates track & 1960s Frejus track
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssBiker
I thought you worked at sacred. We have common friends, but I don't think we have ever met. I used to work at shop on the east side.

Yup.. im there Wed, friday and sat to babysit the guys . on the other days, im at our main office.

Feel freet ot stop in and say hi sometime

Kev
YellowFixedGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 07:08 AM   #15
iamjberube
idée fixée
 
iamjberube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: back of the house
Bikes:
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yellow fixed gear-
i'm savin up right now. see you soon.
iamjberube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 10:41 AM   #16
Mueslix
Senior Member
 
Mueslix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SuckaFree City
Bikes: chopper, Team Fuji, Velo Orange Polyvalent
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Field trip!
Mueslix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 11:29 AM   #17
YellowFixedGear
Fear the banana
 
YellowFixedGear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York City (Uptown)
Bikes: 1950s EG Bates track & 1960s Frejus track
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
come bring your bike down, get some ink and we will all go for a ride after work..
YellowFixedGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 11:36 AM   #18
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training
 
bostontrevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Knee-deep in the day-to-day
Bikes:
Posts: 5,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CF4L, the relationship between you and your tattoo artist is complex but good. You have an idea and you work with the artist to help you realize your idea. They are an artist but at the same time they understand that it's your idea and that it's going on your body. It's like an architect or a custom frame builder, they have the talents but they're also working with a client to make sure that what they produce makes the client happy.

So work with your artist however long you need to make sure you're happy. I've always come in with my stuff pretty much fully designed, but the artist has always had small suggestions for changes and things like that.

Any tattoo artist who gets bent out of shape because you're not allowing them to realize their vision on your body doesn't deserve your business.
bostontrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 11:36 AM   #19
evanyc
i believe in me
 
evanyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes:
Posts: 2,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my friend myles tattoos at Bowery and does some pretty awesome stuff. he's doing my first ink next week. can't wait.here's some of his portfolio. go by the shop (bowery and 3rd or so, across from CBGBs) to check out a lot more and newer stuff. most of the stuff on that site is stuff he designed and not art people brought in, but he does both very well.
evanyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 11:52 AM   #20
dogpound
1 trick pony
 
dogpound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on my bike
Bikes:
Posts: 1,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
emma's done almost all my work

http://porcupinetattoo.com/
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 12:05 PM   #21
turd
...leaving skid marks
 
turd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC (chinatown, w.vill, morningside)
Bikes: fuji track se ('02) | independent fabrication crown jewel ('04)
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
myles did this one, i think (not on me):
turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 12:27 PM   #22
YellowFixedGear
Fear the banana
 
YellowFixedGear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York City (Uptown)
Bikes: 1950s EG Bates track & 1960s Frejus track
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanyc
my friend myles tattoos at Bowery and does some pretty awesome stuff. he's doing my first ink next week. can't wait.here's some of his portfolio. go by the shop (bowery and 3rd or so, across from CBGBs) to check out a lot more and newer stuff. most of the stuff on that site is stuff he designed and not art people brought in, but he does both very well.

Rite on.. Bowery Tattoo is our other studio. Myles is a great guy. When you look at his work, you can tell its his..


ohh and bostonTrevor: You hit the nail on the head on that one
YellowFixedGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 03:22 PM   #23
cabana 4 life
Senior Member
 
cabana 4 life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: chicago,il
Bikes:
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
dude youre doing some ink for me next year.
i dont do tattoos im the guy in charge we have three artist here the owner is my brother id hook u up with him check out our shop website www.area51tattoo.com his name is jeff he has a online portfolio. the guy on this forum named Rancid is talking about getting the true till death logo.
cabana 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 03:24 PM   #24
cabana 4 life
Senior Member
 
cabana 4 life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: chicago,il
Bikes:
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFixedGear
I manage a studio in Chinatown thats been around for over 15 years in NYC.
One of my artist (Nik Moore) likes to do a lot of black work as well as many other styles. He is Bike rider as well and im sure he would do work for trade for bike stuff. Otherwise his rate is $100 an hour and usually only does custom work.

his stuff can be found at our website www.sacredtattoo.com

link to some of his work.

http://www.sacredtattoo.com/index2.html

P.S.
We are a really bike friendly shop. Insted of locking your bike outside on Canal street, Bring it up while you are getting work done.. Plenty of room.. we actually have a little area where we park all of our bikes in the shop

we are the smae way all but one of us rides bike we park them inside and mop under them as they thaw in the winter.
cabana 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 03:34 PM   #25
cabana 4 life
Senior Member
 
cabana 4 life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: chicago,il
Bikes:
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF4L
all of these artist seem like they really really know what they are doing..

one more question being that this would be my first... obviously because this is custom, the artist must first produce a sketch. what kind of "i dont like that.. change it/do this" dialogue is acceptable/appriciated. i understand that they are artists and that i souldnt be like "do it this way" but how do i say "i dont like that"
just tell them what you dont like we get that all the time no big deal we take no offense to it there are some things we tell people that just wont flow with the tattoo but if they insist we do it . like people who want to put all six of there kids initial's in a one inch hart.
cabana 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.