Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-05, 02:12 PM   #1
schloe mo
`
Thread Starter
 
schloe mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes: vintage carlton track, vintage carlton tourer(fixed)
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any Quebecois?

My wife and I are spending a few days in Quebec, visiting family and consuming gros quantities of Poutine. No bikes with us, but if any BF'ers in the area, it would be cool to grab a La Fin du Monde or 2.

Reply or PM me!
schloe mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:02 PM   #2
Super Rookie
Bling.
 
Super Rookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ex-mpls!
Bikes: Magna X-Force
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vote for the bloc!

The liberals have ruined their chances with the Gomery Inquirey.
Super Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:09 PM   #3
raygunner
GG + Wendy O. 4EVA
 
raygunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blatz To The Future
Bikes:
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Montreal is the best!

Have a great time!
__________________
raygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:11 PM   #4
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car
 
$0.00/Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucktown, Chicago
Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try to find some tortiere pie as well. Another traditional French Canadian dish.
$0.00/Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:11 PM   #5
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car
 
$0.00/Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucktown, Chicago
Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SR - vote for the bloc? dont make me punch you in the neck!
$0.00/Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:14 PM   #6
raygunner
GG + Wendy O. 4EVA
 
raygunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blatz To The Future
Bikes:
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by $0.00/Gal
Try to find some tortiere pie as well. Another traditional French Canadian dish.
Would some Tim Hortons do?
__________________
raygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:17 PM   #7
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car
 
$0.00/Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucktown, Chicago
Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only if they sell ground beef pie.

Going to Tim's for traditional Canadian anything is like going to New York Fries (a fry chain in canada) for Poutine.
$0.00/Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:19 PM   #8
progre-ss
Senior Member
 
progre-ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Poconos, PA
Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have some poutine for me please!! Damn I miss that stuff! Heck, there's a lot of stuff I'm missing from back home in Ottawa...a Tim Horton's Double Double, poutine with real cheese curds, Pizza Pizza, Gabriel's Pizza, Harvey's (oh yeah, HARVEY's!!) Willie's Chinese Food near the corner of St. Joseph and Duford in Orleans, late nite, outdoor (in -30 degrees Celsius weather) pick up hockey games, Beavertails, a Steamin Pastrami sandwich from the Budapest Deli in the ByWard Market, etc, etc! Damn, gotta go back home for a visit soon...it's been to long!

Have fun in Québec!! GO NORDIQUES GO! GO EXPOS GO! Oh, wait a minute...
progre-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:20 PM   #9
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car
 
$0.00/Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucktown, Chicago
Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Harvey's is the best fast food in the world.
$0.00/Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 04:22 PM   #10
progre-ss
Senior Member
 
progre-ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Poconos, PA
Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by $0.00/Gal
Harvey's is the best fast food in the world.
Definitely! A nice ultra burger with everything and their crunchy, golden fries!!! Oh baby!
progre-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 05:30 PM   #11
eddiebrannan
Senior Member
 
eddiebrannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Bikes: DW
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i could murder a bowl of poutine right about now
eddiebrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 05:40 PM   #12
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car
 
$0.00/Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucktown, Chicago
Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eddie - Pomme Frite has a decent poutine. It's ok for being made in the U.S.
$0.00/Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 06:16 PM   #13
wasted weasel
---
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes: '05 iro mark V, '04 specialized epic, '04 lemond nevada city, '96 KHS aero comp, '03 norco evolve, '01 louis garneau 2.1, '91 VeloSport, '09 Kona DewPlus
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wtf? so there isn't a NY-Fries in NYC? sonofa*****....they lied to me!
wasted weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 06:16 PM   #14
eddiebrannan
Senior Member
 
eddiebrannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Bikes: DW
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
funny enough my lady just googled and found out the same thing. thanks $0.00, thanks ellen!

do they have a pommes frite in chicago too?
eddiebrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 06:20 PM   #15
schloe mo
`
Thread Starter
 
schloe mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes: vintage carlton track, vintage carlton tourer(fixed)
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Rookie
Vote for the bloc!

The liberals have ruined their chances with the Gomery Inquirey.
I caught this while scanning the local headlines, but don't know much about it. Must read up...
schloe mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 07:26 PM   #16
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car
 
$0.00/Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucktown, Chicago
Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Pommes Frite is a NYC thing. I should start researching french fry joints in Chicago. I wonder if any exist.
$0.00/Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 07:47 PM   #17
mrRed
we're here, we steer!!
 
mrRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you're about 3 weeks ahead of me on this thread, except I was gonna say

Who's in montreal?!?!?! I'm gonna be up there in Feb with a buddy of mine for a long weekend and we're bringing the bikes and up for some brutal cold weather riding.
mrRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 09:31 PM   #18
wasted weasel
---
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes: '05 iro mark V, '04 specialized epic, '04 lemond nevada city, '96 KHS aero comp, '03 norco evolve, '01 louis garneau 2.1, '91 VeloSport, '09 Kona DewPlus
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRed
you're about 3 weeks ahead of me on this thread, except I was gonna say

Who's in montreal?!?!?! I'm gonna be up there in Feb with a buddy of mine for a long weekend and we're bringing the bikes and up for some brutal cold weather riding.
make some studded tires then, cause there's an ice race up there the weekend before valentines day and one in Toronto the following weekend.
wasted weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 10:14 AM   #19
schloe mo
`
Thread Starter
 
schloe mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes: vintage carlton track, vintage carlton tourer(fixed)
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by $0.00/Gal
Try to find some tortiere pie as well. Another traditional French Canadian dish.
according to the in-laws Tortiere is available all over quebec, although it's not made the same way they do it in Lake St. Jean. i think that just means it's not as thick.

for the occasion i've suspended my vegetarianism... especially for the Cretons! Holler if you feel the love for Cretons! Now that's a dish that would do pretty well in Chicago... if people could just get used to the idea of spreading meat that's not SPAM.
schloe mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 10:23 AM   #20
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car
 
$0.00/Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucktown, Chicago
Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Mom makes Tortiere every year for dinner on Christmas eve. I'm sure it's not that close to the traditional pies made back in the mother land, but it's damn good.

The only time I ever tried cretons was as a kid and I didn't like it. I'm almost 100% sure I'd love it now though.

This weekend I think I am going to drive up to Mars Cheese Castle in WI and get some fresh (squeak wen you chew them!) curds and try my hand at making some poutine.

And if anyone in chicago would like to get together and create a feast of traditional french canadian cuisine (tortiere/cipaille, poutine, cretons, Tarte au Sucre, maple cake) I would SO be into that
$0.00/Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 10:34 AM   #21
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was completely bewildered by NY Fries the first time I went to Toronto. People asked me if they were all over NYC and I said, "I've never heard of them. What's so great about fries from NY? I didn't know we were especially well-known for our fry making abilities."

IMHO, Pizza Pizza, Harveys, Boston Pizza and Licks all suck. You guys are suffering from an overload of cardboard pizza and burgers passed off as the real thing, much like the rest of the continental US that isn't in NYC, Chicago, Boston or Philly.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 10:48 AM   #22
schloe mo
`
Thread Starter
 
schloe mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes: vintage carlton track, vintage carlton tourer(fixed)
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Rookie
Vote for the bloc!

The liberals have ruined their chances with the Gomery Inquirey.
i've read a few articles on this and now i'm thoroughly confused. I'd love to get a grasp
on this so i'll have something to talk about over dinner with my French Canadian uncle!

please feel free to clarify my understanding:
- The Bloc is a conservative party, vs. the Liberals currently in power.
- Some Quebeckers are voting for the Bloc to "send a message" to Liberals because they are sick of things like the above mentioned scandal.
- However the Bloc does not represent the beliefs of most of the population.
- and to keep it fixed gear related: if one was to seperate from their country, what gear ratio should they use?
schloe mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 11:07 AM   #23
Super Rookie
Bling.
 
Super Rookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ex-mpls!
Bikes: Magna X-Force
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schloe mo
i've read a few articles on this and now i'm thoroughly confused. I'd love to get a grasp
on this so i'll have something to talk about over dinner with my French Canadian uncle!

please feel free to clarify my understanding:
- The Bloc is a conservative party, vs. the Liberals currently in power.
- Some Quebeckers are voting for the Bloc to "send a message" to Liberals because they are sick of things like the above mentioned scandal.
- However the Bloc does not represent the beliefs of most of the population.
- and to keep it fixed gear related: if one was to seperate from their country, what gear ratio should they use?
The Bloc is a liberal seperatist party that wants sovreignty for the province of Quebec. Some people in Quebec are huge supporters of the bloc because when they go to Ottawa they have a large ammount of seats since it is a parliment and not a house of representative style election. So the Bloc is able to get a lot of isht done for the people of Quebec. However, the Bloc scares a lot of people because of the support for another 'referendum' on nationhood.

Quebec is very 'Liberal' on a whole and has traditionally supported the Liberal party. But, the Liberal party went and fudged up with a scandal. The scandal is that the Liberal government gave about 5million canadian(10 dollars U.S.) to a montreal advertising company that was pro-liberal(the ceo was a big contributor to the liberals) to create a pro-federalist ad campaign(canada rules! quebec as a nation wouldn't work. we must stick together.) isht.

So with the 'Gomery Inquiry' (named for the independent judge looking into the affair) a lot of Quebecois are pissed off at the Liberals for doing some shady stuff with the tax payers money in order to get more votes(in Quebec you either vote liberal or bloc). So the Bloc is going very heavily after their votes...then with this trouble the Conservative party is now getting into the mix for the votes...

There is an upcoming election in Feb of 2006. It promises to produce a minority government and has been a lot of fun to read and watch about. follow it at www.globeandmail.com

Also, 0.00/Gal is Canadian. Actually from Quebec. I don't like the bloc. I am a supporter of the NDP and Jack Layton.

Basically it breaks down like this-

Liberals=Democrats
Conservatives=Republicans and the Prarie Provinces(has to do with all of their taxes goign to Quebec. Ask me about my stiches I got at the World Messenger Championships in Edmonton to explain this one)
Greens=Greens
Bloc=California Democratic Party thats #1 priority is a country for Californians...also they only speak French. No english on their website)
NDP=Progressive Faction of the Democratic Party. They usually get about 20 seats in Parliment and are able to get the Liberals in power, but get deals thrown at them for their votes.

Word.
Super Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 11:35 AM   #24
progre-ss
Senior Member
 
progre-ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Poconos, PA
Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Rookie
The Bloc is a liberal seperatist party that wants sovreignty for the province of Quebec. Some people in Quebec are huge supporters of the bloc because when they go to Ottawa they have a large ammount of seats since it is a parliment and not a house of representative style election. So the Bloc is able to get a lot of isht done for the people of Quebec. However, the Bloc scares a lot of people because of the support for another 'referendum' on nationhood.

Quebec is very 'Liberal' on a whole and has traditionally supported the Liberal party. But, the Liberal party went and fudged up with a scandal. The scandal is that the Liberal government gave about 5million canadian(10 dollars U.S.) to a montreal advertising company that was pro-liberal(the ceo was a big contributor to the liberals) to create a pro-federalist ad campaign(canada rules! quebec as a nation wouldn't work. we must stick together.) isht.

So with the 'Gomery Inquiry' (named for the independent judge looking into the affair) a lot of Quebecois are pissed off at the Liberals for doing some shady stuff with the tax payers money in order to get more votes(in Quebec you either vote liberal or bloc). So the Bloc is going very heavily after their votes...then with this trouble the Conservative party is now getting into the mix for the votes...

There is an upcoming election in Feb of 2006. It promises to produce a minority government and has been a lot of fun to read and watch about. follow it at www.globeandmail.com

Also, 0.00/Gal is Canadian. Actually from Quebec. I don't like the bloc. I am a supporter of the NDP and Jack Layton.

Basically it breaks down like this-

Liberals=Democrats
Conservatives=Republicans and the Prarie Provinces(has to do with all of their taxes goign to Quebec. Ask me about my stiches I got at the World Messenger Championships in Edmonton to explain this one)
Greens=Greens
Bloc=California Democratic Party thats #1 priority is a country for Californians...also they only speak French. No english on their website)
NDP=Progressive Faction of the Democratic Party. They usually get about 20 seats in Parliment and are able to get the Liberals in power, but get deals thrown at them for their votes.

Word.
Thanks for the refresher. It's been a while since I've been on the up and up on Canadian poiltics. Having moved to the States from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada back in August 2001, I've been caught up in American politics!
progre-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 11:39 AM   #25
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car
 
$0.00/Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bucktown, Chicago
Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish the Canadian Alliance were still around just because they were called 'the canadian alliance'

For those who don't know - the canadian alliance and the progressive conservative party of canada formed 1 party in 2003 (conservative party of canada)
$0.00/Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 PM.