Rather than spending all my time in the saddle of my conversion (which i love, but the more bikes the merrier), I'm about to start the process of building up the spring ride. Advice will be needed, and rather than start a billion threads, I'll ask the question here. I've searched for a bunch of stuff already, just not found the answers I'm really looking for on some of these topics, others have been answered, but searching for people to give some up to date opinions. So here we go.
1) So it looks like the Soma Rush will be the frame I'm ultimately gonna be building up. I'm about 5'10", and gonna be getting sized through my LBS and have them order it for me. I've never worked on, or had a bike with a threadless headset, so this is gonna be a first. I believe its a 1" Headtube, and while I've heard a million good things about King Headsets, I'm not gonna drop $100 on one when there are many others that will do just as good a job. What do you guys recommend in terms of a headset? Something that will be able to take a bunch of ****ty weather and last through some abuse? Black preferred, although silver would probably suffice as well.
2) Toe overlap on the Rush. Is there significant overlap, or is it going to be minimal? Probabl going to be running a 170mm crankset, clipless.
3) Stems: I'm really not a big fan of bulky stems, and was looking for something a little more streamlined. I've seen some salsa stems that weren't offensive. Is it really just the Scandium that's not too bulky, or are there others that will provide a stiff ride without looking like the piece belongs on a mac truck?
4) Hubs. I'm not looking to break the bank yet with a set of Phil hubs, but I'm not sure I want formulas either. What's the story with the Miche Hubs that businesscycles carries? Are they going to be somewhat durable, does radial lacing void their warranty, not warrantied for road use? If its not worth the extra money for the Miche's, are the Phil spec bearings that much of an improvement over the formula's bearings??
5) Seatpost: I think the Miche Supertype is super sexy, and while its not the lightest I've heard that its really nice and stiff and will last the long haul. Is anyone able to shed any light on this?
6) Rims: Black Machined Deep V's would be nice, although I have half a mind to say screw it and go for the DT Swiss RR 1.1's I'm using on my bike right now. What's going to be the main difference, besides looks and prices between these two rims??
7) Crankset. I feel like I should probably figure out what hubs I'll using first to decide the bottom bracket and crankset I should use. But it seems like there are some sugino's to stay away from, and some to covet (the 75's). What's out there that will keep me in the low to mid $100 range and deliver a worthy performance without too much flex?
All help is appreciated, thanks.