Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    hell's angels h/q e3st ny brunop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    boston area/morningside heights manhattan
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle
    Posts
    1,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    skiddin'----weird.

    before last night my skiddin' skills were rudimentary at best. for some reason (maybe jesus loves me after all ), as i was ridin' to the liquor store last evenin', i just unweighted the rear tire, locked, and executed a perfect skid with that beautiful skiddy sound. so i rode around some more and did all sorts of skids--around corners, straight up, fast, slow, long, short--all on dry and various pavement surfaces. it was weird--all the sudden i became expert at it. i think i could even smell my tire burnin'. there was no real progression from bein' barely able to skid to bein' able to mad skid. weird. i could even almost control the line of the skid--make ess's and loops and all sorts of stuff.

    the only thing is, i really can't stop on a dime as it were skiddin' as even at relatively slow speeds, my skid takes a bit to come to a complete stop. maybe my tires are too slick? or maybe i need to throw my weight back after the initial skidding commences? whatever. i can flat lay down some creative skiddin' and before last night i couldn't. again--no progression, it was just all the sudden. anybody else had this experience?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    by a big river
    Posts
    2,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skidding like that isn't the most effective means of stopping your bike.
    Skipping or just resisting is much more effective.
    As far as the sudden jump in ability...you always knew how to skid, you just had to remember you knew how.

  3. #3
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brunop
    before last night my skiddin' skills were rudimentary at best. for some reason (maybe jesus loves me after all ), as i was ridin' to the liquor store last evenin', i just unweighted the rear tire, locked, and executed a perfect skid with that beautiful skiddy sound. so i rode around some more and did all sorts of skids--around corners, straight up, fast, slow, long, short--all on dry and various pavement surfaces. it was weird--all the sudden i became expert at it. i think i could even smell my tire burnin'. there was no real progression from bein' barely able to skid to bein' able to mad skid. weird. i could even almost control the line of the skid--make ess's and loops and all sorts of stuff.

    the only thing is, i really can't stop on a dime as it were skiddin' as even at relatively slow speeds, my skid takes a bit to come to a complete stop. maybe my tires are too slick? or maybe i need to throw my weight back after the initial skidding commences? whatever. i can flat lay down some creative skiddin' and before last night i couldn't. again--no progression, it was just all the sudden. anybody else had this experience?
    your tires aren't 'too slick.' it's slick tires that get the best grip on pavement--more contact area. the deal with skidding is that the more of your weight is on the front wheel, the longer you skid, because the weight on the rear wheel increases the friction--and stopping power--of dragging it. don't go around throwing your weight around on the bike, but lean forward enough to start the skid, and then move your weight back.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  4. #4
    Senior Member 1fluffhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    baltimore
    My Bikes
    Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like you had a "light-bulb" moment when everything just clicks.

  5. #5
    Skidmaster teadoggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    don walker, redline, TBD
    Posts
    1,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  6. #6
    plucky russian. salome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chicago. southside.
    Posts
    1,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm ... that picture looks familiar ...

  7. #7
    Skidmaster teadoggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    don walker, redline, TBD
    Posts
    1,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salome
    hmm ... that picture looks familiar ...
    thanks, Salome! (Folks, she put that picture on my MySpace after I tried to DrunkSkid and it didn't turn out so well...)

    PS: School was fun! I'll find you later.

  8. #8
    plucky russian. salome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    chicago. southside.
    Posts
    1,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teadoggg
    PS: School was fun! I'll find you later.
    PS. I found more stuff to explore. And surprise, surgery isn't fun!

  9. #9
    Skidmaster teadoggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    don walker, redline, TBD
    Posts
    1,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salome
    PS. I found more stuff to explore. And surprise, surgery isn't fun!

    PS. I like the T*****x the best, size 8.Thanks again!

  10. #10
    hell's angels h/q e3st ny brunop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    boston area/morningside heights manhattan
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle
    Posts
    1,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teadoggg
    thanks, Salome! (Folks, she put that picture on my MySpace after I tried to DrunkSkid and it didn't turn out so well...)

    PS: School was fun! I'll find you later.
    what's "myspace"?

  11. #11
    Taking "s" outta "Fast" AfterThisNap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zoo York City
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brunop. I live in your neighborhood. Sent you a PM about it.

  12. #12
    The Bottom Line andreunin1936's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Decatur, GA, USA
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brunop
    what's "myspace"?
    It's a Rupert Murdoch-owned internet community where all the DIY-types and punks (as well as many other people-types) have set up websites for their bands, affinity groups, and friend-networks. The whole thing's a crock; it seems real grassroots and stripped-down, but actually when you put ANYTHING on MySpace it becomes property of the self-proclaimed "billionaire tyrant" Murdoch. See the terms of use agreement. This sucks for bands that've placed their music on the site.

    I guess "myspace" sounds better than "HisSpace" or "Rupespace".
    Last edited by andreunin1936; 01-18-06 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
    "I would never swim in a pond; they're notorious for serpents."

    "Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain...and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires." --Lev Davidovich Bronstein

  13. #13
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brunop
    what's "myspace"?
    it's a young-people thing that uses the internet in place of actual social interaction.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andreunin1936
    The whole thing's a crock; it seems real grassroots and stripped-down, but actually when you put ANYTHING on MySpace it becomes property of the self-proclaimed "billionaire tyrant" Murdoch. See the terms of use agreement. This sucks for bands that've placed their music on the site.
    Huh. When I read it, I saw this. Note the last sentence.

    "By posting any Content to the public areas of the Website, you hereby grant to MySpace.com the non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide license to use, publicly perform and display such Content on the Website. This license will terminate at the time you remove such Content from the Website."

    So, unless you can find anything else in the agreement that trumps that, then you're just spreading FUD.

  15. #15
    hell's angels h/q e3st ny brunop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    boston area/morningside heights manhattan
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle
    Posts
    1,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk
    it's a young-people thing that uses the internet in place of actual social interaction.
    like "frindsters" huh, but for the "cool kid"? weird. maybe i'm just old, but gosh people'll put up some personal sh1t on those things. seems pretty narcissistic, but hey--whatever.

    isn't rupert murdoch 'sposed to be evil or something? he owns fox news and all? a real rightwinger?

  16. #16
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brunop
    like "frindsters" huh, but for the "cool kid"? weird. maybe i'm just old, but gosh people'll put up some personal sh1t on those things. seems pretty narcissistic, but hey--whatever.
    kind of like friendster for cool kids*, except more like thefacebook for people in high school.

    *you could write a whole thesis on the use of the internet to create and develop sub- or counter-cultural identity, but don't. my former housemate already did it.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  17. #17
    hell's angels h/q e3st ny brunop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    boston area/morningside heights manhattan
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle
    Posts
    1,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk
    kind of like friendster for cool kids*, except more like thefacebook for people in high school.

    *you could write a whole thesis on the use of the internet to create and develop sub- or counter-cultural identity, but don't. my former housemate already did it.
    this site is kinda like that though i guess. without a lot of the personal stuff.

  18. #18
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely. construction of cool criteria, determining what it takes to be in, shaming those who don't belong, rationalizing it all ["****ing hipsters on pistas!"]....
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  19. #19
    hell's angels h/q e3st ny brunop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    boston area/morningside heights manhattan
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle
    Posts
    1,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk
    definitely. construction of cool criteria, determining what it takes to be in, shaming those who don't belong, rationalizing it all ["****ing hipsters on pistas!"]....
    hey q-punk! ya wanna see a site that is outa control funny, crude, offensive, and, at times, full of good and serious advice take a look at letsrun.com. very lightly moderated site about runnin'. check that one out. i don't think most of the dudes (and it's mostly dudes seems like) there are exactly the "myspace" types. it's entertaining.

  20. #20
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no thanks, i hate running.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  21. #21
    live free or die trying humancongereel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    where i lay my head is home.
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
    Posts
    6,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, riding is so much faster.

  22. #22
    The Bottom Line andreunin1936's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Decatur, GA, USA
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    Huh. When I read it, I saw this. Note the last sentence.

    "By posting any Content to the public areas of the Website, you hereby grant to MySpace.com the non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide license to use, publicly perform and display such Content on the Website. This license will terminate at the time you remove such Content from the Website."

    So, unless you can find anything else in the agreement that trumps that, then you're just spreading FUD.
    In terms of legality, you're absolutely right! All one has to do to terminate the "license" is take your stuff off the website. However, how many people actually know they've afforded Murdoch this license? All I'm doing is pointing out the reality of MySpace, and I never claimed it was an eternal, inexorable contract (no, not at all like the contract Murdoch made with LUCIFER!!!!)
    "I would never swim in a pond; they're notorious for serpents."

    "Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain...and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires." --Lev Davidovich Bronstein

  23. #23
    hell's angels h/q e3st ny brunop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    boston area/morningside heights manhattan
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle
    Posts
    1,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk
    no thanks, i hate running.
    after ya run for awhile it gets better. it's not fun right off the bat like cyclin', but it'll get you in real good shape if you keep at it. and if ya don't have much time, it gives ya more exercise than cyclin' for the same amount of time put in. even if ya don't run though, the site is entertainin'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •