Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rancid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    oPt via Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    broke my hand tonight

    /i was riding home from work at the bike shop in the rain tonight when I crossed through a mall parking lot( you know with all that slick pavement) went through some oil by the gutter on a turn and ate it. The bike is okay, but I broke my 4&5 pinkie and ring finger bones in hand and can't do ish. Can't type, can't ride, can't wrench in the bike shop....total suckage. I can still drink though! At least there were some nice drivers that stopped and asked me if I was okay. one even gave me and the bike a ride to meet with my navy boss to take me to the hospital.
    I did scratch my new nitto's but not too bad. At least I'm doped up on oxycodone until I see the ortho surgeon tomorrow.

    so yeah, if you write me on here or myspace....responses will take time. One hand typing is pretty lame.....get it? lame?
    I've been here since 2004? I've never felt this old before.

  2. #2
    i am sure that i hate you spud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    703
    My Bikes
    'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)
    Posts
    3,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    were they crushed between the bar and the pavement or were you trying to land on them? heal fast.
    putting the pi back in pirate!
    It’s an upstanding member of the solar system
    Apply the laws of earth and make it a victim
    Of Proposition 187

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rancid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    oPt via Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from what I can tell it was from the impact of the side of my hand hitting the grnd. i didnt try to break my fall with my hand or that would have been a broken wrist. I was haulin a$$ so it actually happened fast and /i came down real hard on the right. I think my shoulder/ankle/hip all came down at once and kind of whiplashed my arm down.

    At least thats what I think thats what happened.

    the best part was when they went to remove my shoe to clean my ankle's road rash and the nurse discovered I had busted the release mechanism off my buckle. 15 minutes, 1 pen, 2 tongue depressors, and tweezers (that will need to be autoclaved again) later.......we still didn't get it off. So I got up, went out to the car, and brought my messenger bag in. We ended up using my multitool's screwdrivrt just to take the whole buckle off. it was actually really funny
    I've been here since 2004? I've never felt this old before.

  4. #4
    live free or die trying humancongereel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    where i lay my head is home.
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
    Posts
    6,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, at least there's something to laugh at. heal up fast.
    have:ea50 flats, black, light, stiff.
    144 bcd 3/32" 49t sugino track chainring, possibly 75.

    want: risers, light, stiff, 1", black if that can be
    144 bcd 46t or 47t chainring any kind or width

  5. #5
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid
    from what I can tell it was from the impact of the side of my hand hitting the grnd. i didnt try to break my fall with my hand or that would have been a broken wrist. I was haulin a$$ so it actually happened fast and /i came down real hard on the right. I think my shoulder/ankle/hip all came down at once and kind of whiplashed my arm down.

    At least thats what I think thats what happened.

    the best part was when they went to remove my shoe to clean my ankle's road rash and the nurse discovered I had busted the release mechanism off my buckle. 15 minutes, 1 pen, 2 tongue depressors, and tweezers (that will need to be autoclaved again) later.......we still didn't get it off. So I got up, went out to the car, and brought my messenger bag in. We ended up using my multitool's screwdrivrt just to take the whole buckle off. it was actually really funny
    Ha Ha yea my bag is like a man purse for me now. If I don't have it with me then I basically have nothing.

    Hope you heal up and in the mean time enjoy the arms of Morpheus.

  6. #6
    Hello. crushkilldstroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy ****. another man down. good luck with that ortho surgeon and heal up quick.

    enjoy that oxycodone. i sure as hell am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquie Phelan
    Until mountain biking came along, the bike scene was ruled by a small elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rancid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    oPt via Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crushkilldstroy
    holy ****. another man down.
    yeah its been a bad set lately for us.....and the oxycodone is the jam
    I've been here since 2004? I've never felt this old before.

  8. #8
    Beausage is Beautiful Fugazi Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    2006 Langster, which I actually like.
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you did it while riding! Freshman year of college I punched a wall and broke my right 5th metacarpal, damn near driving it through the skin on the back of my hand. I was taking a photography class *and* a journalism class that quarter, too, so having a cast was a bit of a pain...

    Heal fast!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rancid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    oPt via Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
    At least you did it while riding! Freshman year of college I punched a wall and broke my right 5th metacarpal, damn near driving it through the skin on the back of my hand. I was taking a photography class *and* a journalism class that quarter, too, so having a cast was a bit of a pain...

    Heal fast!
    nice...what side of your hand did they splint? they splinted up my thumb side which makes no damn sense. I can move lucky number 5 all I want
    I've been here since 2004? I've never felt this old before.

  10. #10
    blah onetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    5,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats pretty much how i fractured my femur on new years except it was wet leaves instead of oil. No fun my sympathies.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Rancid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    oPt via Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow...anyone who fractures a bone denser than concrete (femur) is in my hardcore book
    I've been here since 2004? I've never felt this old before.

  12. #12
    Beausage is Beautiful Fugazi Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    2006 Langster, which I actually like.
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid
    nice...what side of your hand did they splint? they splinted up my thumb side which makes no damn sense. I can move lucky number 5 all I want
    They splinted the pinky side, though the splint pretty much enveloped my right arm in its entirety up to the elbow. Had that for about 4-5 days without pain meds before I got in to see a traveling orthopedist at the university health center where it finally got set and cast. Ah, crappy rural hospitals with a skeleton crew of doctors...

  13. #13
    lives in a giant shoe curlybro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    st paul, mn
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid
    wow...anyone who fractures a bone denser than concrete (femur) is in my hardcore book
    I broke a kid's femur playing soccer sophomore year in high school. He went down and I didn't realize what happened so I took off and scored a goal.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Rancid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    oPt via Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
    They splinted the pinky side, though the splint pretty much enveloped my right arm in its entirety up to the elbow. Had that for about 4-5 days without pain meds before I got in to see a traveling orthopedist at the university health center where it finally got set and cast. Ah, crappy rural hospitals with a skeleton crew of doctors...
    how long were you handless? Is this like a 2 week deal like a toe or a 4-8 weeks deal like a arm?
    I've been here since 2004? I've never felt this old before.

  15. #15
    blah onetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    5,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid
    wow...anyone who fractures a bone denser than concrete (femur) is in my hardcore book

    Haha. WOO IM HARDCORE. or dumb. It goes either way. I landed hard and the bone hit right on the edge of a curb. no fun. kept me down for a month, i have my first check up on it on wednesday

  16. #16
    Beausage is Beautiful Fugazi Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    2006 Langster, which I actually like.
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6-8 weeks. The doctor who took it off said that, personally, he'd probably have left it on for 10...

  17. #17
    Good for Business koyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison
    My Bikes
    Team Fooj
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    **** baby. Heal up, y'hear?

  18. #18
    Yay!11! I has!!!1 ImOnCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastcoast
    My Bikes
    Cocaine the white stallion, Custom Witcomb pista, (Being restored) 80's Pogliaghi Track, (destroyed) RAP Round Breeze NJS, Cannondale Jekyll 900, 84/5 Pinarello Montello (all italian)
    Posts
    1,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I'm right there with ya. Dunno if mine's legit broken yet (too much swelling on the first xray, nother on wed) but the thing sure hurts like hell. My advice, white russians make the painkillers work more good. Feel better man.
    Bloodstains, speed kills, fast bikes, cheap thrills, French girls, fine wine...

  19. #19
    Senior Member Rancid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    oPt via Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out....they DID wrap it on the wrong side. Flippin IDIOTS
    I've been here since 2004? I've never felt this old before.

  20. #20
    biff-o-matic biff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Moyer Cycles #1 - A fixie of course.
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid
    Turns out....they DID wrap it on the wrong side. Flippin IDIOTS

    HAHA! That's hilarious. Navy Medical....Full Sp.....All stop.
    Moyer Cycles: done and done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •