Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    rebirth of a Dura-Ace track hub

    So my buddy is looking to build up an old GT track frame on the cheap. He asks me if I have an old track wheel I can sell him for cheap until he can afford to buy a new one. As it happens I have a VERY old Dura-Ace wheel sitting in my basement. It is a high flange with the blue sides....7600 I think? I abused the hell out of this hub....and the bearing races are totally shot. I tell my friend that if he wants to repack it with some new bearings and cones he should get some use out of it. Heres where the discovery was made.
    Looking at the hub with the axle removed it looks like it might be possible to remove/replace the bearing cups in the hub. Out comes the punch and hammer and the old cups are removed. As inspection of the hub is made....it appears that the remaining bearing space in the hub might take a cartridge bearing. BINGO!!.....6001 bearings fit nice and snug in the hub-shell and with the addition of a Miche axle and cones the first? Dura-Ace cartridge bearing hub is born.
    He even drilled a little hole in the center of the hub and put an old Campy oil hole cover in the middle.

  2. #2
    i don't stop travsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    basel, switzerland
    My Bikes
    soma rush, giro
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ingenious.
    edit: miche axles kinda suck, get a phil or something

    but if it runs on cartridge bearings, why the oil hole? for fun?

  3. #3
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by travsi
    ingenious.

    but if it runs on cartridge bearings, why the oil hole? for fun?
    He removed the inner rubber seals on the bearings...so a mickey mouse grease guard.

  4. #4
    roll'em high shants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    columbus, ohio
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernmech
    So my buddy is looking to build up an old GT track frame on the cheap. He asks me if I have an old track wheel I can sell him for cheap until he can afford to buy a new one. As it happens I have a VERY old Dura-Ace wheel sitting in my basement. It is a high flange with the blue sides....7600 I think? I abused the hell out of this hub....and the bearing races are totally shot. I tell my friend that if he wants to repack it with some new bearings and cones he should get some use out of it. Heres where the discovery was made.
    Looking at the hub with the axle removed it looks like it might be possible to remove/replace the bearing cups in the hub. Out comes the punch and hammer and the old cups are removed. As inspection of the hub is made....it appears that the remaining bearing space in the hub might take a cartridge bearing. BINGO!!.....6001 bearings fit nice and snug in the hub-shell and with the addition of a Miche axle and cones the first? Dura-Ace cartridge bearing hub is born.
    He even drilled a little hole in the center of the hub and put an old Campy oil hole cover in the middle.
    that's totally ****ing sweet. it wouldn't be worth doing to a da hub that didn't have totally gored up races, but it'd be the ****ing jam to get some "abandoned for junk" hubs and do it up.

  5. #5
    Senior Member trespasser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    london
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good to know.
    I heard you can do more or less the same thing to old campy record hubs.

  6. #6
    ... gokiburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    sannino track, nishiki olympic conversion
    Posts
    873
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trespasser
    good to know.
    I heard you can do more or less the same thing to old campy record hubs.
    cavernmech, don't get any funny ideas.

  7. #7
    Taking "s" outta "Fast" AfterThisNap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zoo York City
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    smimano+Miche+DA!?!?!? Blasphemy! YOu'll open the gates of hell when you spin it.

    Pretty sweet discovery though. How tight was the press fit of the new bearings?

  8. #8
    Jonnys ilegitimate Father cavernmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    toronto
    My Bikes
    too many too list
    Posts
    2,994
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gokiburi
    cavernmech, don't get any funny ideas.
    What....you didn't want cartridges installed in yer hubs? Oooopps..My bad.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wonder if campy's or old shimano 105's (road obviuosly) have the same kind of bearing cups... well I think there is only way to find out...

    Anybody knows btw?

  10. #10
    dead mileage techone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    London U.K.
    My Bikes
    GT Mtnbike, PaulMilnes Trackbike
    Posts
    480
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trespasser
    good to know.
    I heard you can do more or less the same thing to old campy record hubs.
    Yep, I've got one. Confused the hell outta me when I first got it, and quite a while after that as well!
    un por ciento...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •