Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   An unpopular opinion: Presta valves suck! (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/184477-unpopular-opinion-presta-valves-suck.html)

MacG 03-29-06 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fixer
The centrifical force used to "open" my schrader valves when my wheels spun at extreme speeds.

That's impossible. I can't do the math here in my office right now, but you would have to spin your wheels insanely fast to even approach the kind of centripital force required to open the valve. With a schraeder valve, you're fighting both a spring and the air pressure in the tube. I highly doubt you could get the valve to open on it's own with anything short of a NASA vomet comet ride.

There is also no such thing as centrifugal force; just centripital force and conservation of momentum.

Re-Cycle 03-29-06 11:33 AM

I whouldn't want to put 120 psi behind a schraeder valve, but schraeder valves are sure easy to take apart for tube sliming.

BTW I have drilled out presta MTB rims before in order to use schraeder tubes. If you hate presta that bad do the same and be done with it... but I wouldn't.

shokhead 03-29-06 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperRevue
+1 on unthreaded Presta Valves being worlds easier to use than threaded ones.
The hose clamp loves to grab onto those little threads and refuses to let go.

Who makes unthreaded bysides Mich?

wangster 03-29-06 11:37 AM

vittoria

travsi 03-29-06 12:03 PM

hutchinson

mattface 03-29-06 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeroplane
You can get Presta valves started inflating with just your mouth. It helps when changing a tube on the road.

That IS a good thing. 1 point for Presta. Of course it'a also easy to bump the pin before it's tightened, and let out some air -1.

I don't mind unscrewing Presta valves, but I've had them bend, and 1 broke off. I've got a brand new wrenchforce floor pump, and a teeny Topeak Pocket Rocket. The pocket Rocket is mostly guilty of ripping the stems off, but the floor pump bent and broke one.

Moreover I'm willing to admit I got a ****ty batch of tubes, and I mostly just wanted to spark debate.

greengnt 03-29-06 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattface
That IS a good thing. 1 point for Presta. Of course it'a also easy to bump the pin before it's tightened, and let out some air -1.

I don't mind unscrewing Presta valves, but I've had them bend, and 1 broke off. I've got a brand new wrenchforce floor pump, and a teeny Topeak Pocket Rocket. The pocket Rocket is mostly guilty of ripping the stems off, but the floor pump bent and broke one.

Moreover I'm willing to admit I got a ****ty batch of tubes, and I mostly just wanted to spark debate.


you can start a schraeder tube with your mouth too. put your canine tooth on the valve and press in and exhale with your mouth closed around the valve stem.

marqueemoon 03-29-06 12:58 PM

They both suck.

shokhead 03-29-06 01:00 PM

Maybe if they start using those big American stems in the TDF, we will all have a good reason to switch.

baxtefer 03-29-06 01:08 PM

twist, don't yank your pump heads off and you'll save yourself some headaches.
and yeah, frame pumps are guilty of mangling many a stem. try using a floor pump when possible.

mattface 03-29-06 01:11 PM

OK. I change my original statement" Presta Valves BLOW!

mattface 03-29-06 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxtefer
twist, don't yank your pump heads off and you'll save yourself some headaches.
and yeah, frame pumps are guilty of mangling many a stem. try using a floor pump when possible.

Guilty as charged. I'm a stem yanker.

pigmode 03-29-06 01:16 PM

Haven't had any problems with Presta, they are so prolific why would one question such a standard? Rain? Snow? Unexpected day off?

mattface 03-29-06 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmode
Haven't had any problems with Presta, they are so prolific why would one question such a standard? Rain? Snow? Unexpected day off?

yeah... mostly because I was bored.

SpiderMike 03-29-06 01:29 PM

I like Presta for my fixie and ss commuter. I use Schraeder for my SS MTB, only because it is easier to find 26X2.5 tubes in Schraeder.

Only issue I have with Presta valves.... the valve covers. If anybody found my valve covers let me know:D :rolleyes:

highpants 03-29-06 01:37 PM

i agree wholeheartedly that presta valves can be difficult. i've learned to be very careful and to invest in fancy floor-pumps; so far i've been lucky. used to be i was always thrashing 'em though.

pigmode 03-29-06 01:38 PM

Anyone else uses stem nuts? I use them and keep them semi snug as they make it easier working with the floorpump head. I usually need to repump every 3 days.

highpants 03-29-06 01:38 PM

i agree wholeheartedly that presta valves can be difficult. i've learned to be very careful and to invest in fancy floor-pumps; so far i've been lucky. used to be i was always thrashing 'em though.

astrx 03-29-06 01:41 PM

two questions
1 why do presta valves have all those threads
2 i heard somewhere that you should not put those black caps on presta, is that true?

joeprim 03-29-06 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geog_dash
Schraeders seem easier to use and more reliable, based on experience with low pressure mtb and hybrid tires. Anyone used schraeders at 120 psi? Just wondering.

My old '74 Horizon Sentinal had Schraeders and ran around 110 psi. Oh and one of the young girls that rides with me has a bike with schraeders that runs ~ 110psi. The pump I currenly have works better with presta valves. I have had debris rip a schraeder off my MTB. But I really haven't had trouble with either.

Joe

joeprim 03-29-06 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geog_dash
Schraeders seem easier to use and more reliable, based on experience with low pressure mtb and hybrid tires. Anyone used schraeders at 120 psi? Just wondering.

My old '74 Horizon Sentinal had Schraeders and ran around 110 psi. Oh and one of the young girls that rides with me has a bike with schraeders that runs ~ 110psi. The pump I currenly have works better with presta valves. I have had debris rip a schraeder off my MTB. But I really haven't had trouble with either.

Joe

Aeroplane 03-29-06 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrx
two questions
1 why do presta valves have all those threads

So you can secure the valve stem against them rim with the little nut that comes with it. This makes getting the pump head on far, far easier. The reason they are threaded all the way is because rims have varying depths.

slopvehicle 03-29-06 02:57 PM

I bought a set of Suzue / Alex wheels a couple of years back. I noticed they were drilled for Schreder valves after I'd bought Presta tubes for the project-- so I just threw 'em on there anyway.

I didn't have any problems until I started commuting daily on the bike and therefore checking the tire pressure often. After about six months of this, the stem broke in the big, sharp-edged hole. Happened to the other rim too. I finally got some ugly-but-more-functional Schreder tubes and threw 'em on.

And to answer someone's question....I've been running the Schreders at 120 psi without incident.

pigmode 03-29-06 03:12 PM

I run 25 mm tires at 95, and after two days they are down to 88--still rideable.

Ill Mitch 03-29-06 03:24 PM

personally I've never had a problam with presta valves.

So what, you have to unscrew a little thing before you pump it up, what's so hard about that?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 PM.