Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    or tarckeemoon, depending marqueemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    the pesto of cities
    My Bikes
    Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
    Posts
    7,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    pee-stah mee-stery

    Can someone explain this to me?

    This bike was posted on FGG today* (date shows 4/6 due to some wackiness).

    Someone was trying to sell the exact same bike on ebay in an auction that closed this morning ($700 minimum, no bids).

    Scam? Doesn't seem like it, but I'm no expert. (poster name: Ben Fredregill, seller name: sweet_freddy)
    Somebody who decided after 250 miles and blinging out his Pista that he wasn't feeling it but wanted to drum up some Pista lust by sending it to Fixed Gear Gallery?
    Someone with an employee discount looking to make a buck?
    Dumping the Pista to pay for a new garage door opener?

    I gotta know 'cause... ya know... I hear these are cool.

    *I know they get posted in batches a few days ahead though.

  2. #2
    yo yo yo yo yo
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    2,518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks legit to me

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trons
    looks legit to me

    dudes just too legit to quit

  4. #4
    LF for the accentdeprived
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am dumbfounded by the number of FGG entries that say "I used to have this rig but wrecked it/ sold it/ had it stolen" and "I rode this bike for a while but now it's going on ebay" (The latter are shameless adverts I guess)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    Do you deny that you are clueless or do you just think that "moron" didn't need to be tacked on there?
    Bike on flickr and on FGG

  5. #5
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my Ibis on Ebay, then posted it on FGG, #179.....that was a long time ago.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  6. #6
    or tarckeemoon, depending marqueemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    the pesto of cities
    My Bikes
    Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
    Posts
    7,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice


  7. #7
    messenger
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marqueemoon
    Can someone explain this to me?

    This bike was posted on FGG today* (date shows 4/6 due to some wackiness).

    Someone was trying to sell the exact same bike on ebay in an auction that closed this morning ($700 minimum, no bids).

    Scam? Doesn't seem like it, but I'm no expert. (poster name: Ben Fredregill, seller name: sweet_freddy)
    Somebody who decided after 250 miles and blinging out his Pista that he wasn't feeling it but wanted to drum up some Pista lust by sending it to Fixed Gear Gallery?
    Someone with an employee discount looking to make a buck?
    Dumping the Pista to pay for a new garage door opener?

    I gotta know 'cause... ya know... I hear these are cool.

    *I know they get posted in batches a few days ahead though.

    $700? Don't these go for $550 new? I hate when I see people trying to sell their **** for more than it costs new. And I hate it when I see brand new bikes on Ebay. Yeah it is good for us cuz we can buy it for cheaper, but just the idea of someone buying a nice track, riding it twice and putting it on the auction block. Doesn't sit well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member brunning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    1999 Serotta Csi Custom, ~1984 Pinarello track bike
    Posts
    1,519
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $700 isn't all that unreasonable since it's got a $180 saddle and an $80 seatpost, along with an extra dummy lever and some other upgrades.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chi-troit
    My Bikes
    [2004 Bianchi Eros] [1988 Colnago XL Fixed Gear Conversion]
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brunning
    $700 isn't all that unreasonable since it's got a $180 saddle and an $80 seatpost, along with an extra dummy lever and some other upgrades.
    But how many people really want that exact saddle or exact seat post? Part of paying $180 for a saddle is getting exactly the saddle you want. When you buy used you settle for not exactly what you want, but a better price.

  10. #10
    Minneapolis colinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Just under Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi ATB, 1980? Raleigh Comp GS
    Posts
    843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted one I sold a few months ago. I built it, so it's "mine" forever, in a sense.
    THREAD KILLER

  11. #11
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    omfg that ibis

  12. #12
    eert a ekil yzarc SpiderMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Pasadena TX
    My Bikes
    many bikes
    Posts
    2,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just monitor, or do these bullhorns look more like pedestrian skewers?

  13. #13
    Senior Member mattface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Montpeculiar, VT
    My Bikes
    Soma Rush, Fuji Cross, Raleigh Technium Mtn Bike, Ross 10 speed with Shimano 600.
    Posts
    3,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMike
    Is it just monitor, or do these bullhorns look more like pedestrian skewers?
    Looks kinda like a forklift to me.

  14. #14
    Senior Member highpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    minneapolis
    My Bikes
    iro mark v 48x16 or 15 i think (fixed), surly 1x1 32x16 (free)
    Posts
    607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as to the date (4/6), closer inspection should reveal that all the FGG bikes say that...

    ...i was thrown off by this once as well towards the end of the month, until i realized that the latter number is not the day, but the year - april of 2006.

    that bike looks fun, though.

  15. #15
    I am an incurable. delay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    My Bikes
    IRO Mark V pro (RIP), Bianchi Giro, Giant Xtc1, Redline Conquest Pro, Kelly Deluxe singlespeed.
    Posts
    993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMike
    Is it just monitor, or do these bullhorns look more like pedestrian skewers?

    They look like some of those huge cruiser bars turned forward to look like bullhorns.

  16. #16
    live free or die trying humancongereel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    where i lay my head is home.
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
    Posts
    6,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they look like magic bullhorns that grow when you put them in water.
    have:ea50 flats, black, light, stiff.
    144 bcd 3/32" 49t sugino track chainring, possibly 75.

    want: risers, light, stiff, 1", black if that can be
    144 bcd 46t or 47t chainring any kind or width

  17. #17
    hateful little monkey jim-bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    oakland, ca
    Posts
    5,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by humancongereel
    they look like magic bullhorns that grow when you put them in water.
    Those bullhorns are longer than the seat tubes on most of my bikes.

  18. #18
    Senior Member cosmo starr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim-bob
    Those bullhorns are longer than the seat tubes on most of my bikes.
    skiiiiiiiiiiiid

  19. #19
    blacksheep the blemish
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland/Greendale
    My Bikes
    1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd
    Posts
    1,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorn
    But how many people really want that exact saddle or exact seat post? Part of paying $180 for a saddle is getting exactly the saddle you want. When you buy used you settle for not exactly what you want, but a better price.
    Everybody wants that seatpost, thompson's are the best you can buy pretty much (unless you're some carbon fiber weenie).

  20. #20
    ass hatchet slopvehicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Bike: Hott or Nott?

    Ignore |- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -| Bid

  21. #21
    likes avocadoes
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    oakland, ca
    My Bikes
    heh, like that info would fit here...
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by endform
    Everybody wants that seatpost, thompson's are the best you can buy pretty much (unless you're some carbon fiber weenie).
    Thompson's are great posts, and even lighter than most carbon posts, and I have them on two of my bikes, but lots of folks require setback seatposts for a good fit (especially if you're riding a track bike on the street and want to be somewhat comfortable.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •