Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member mikorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    hayes
    My Bikes
    none
    Posts
    681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    looking for a 26in bmx new school

    there was a army green one on here a while back, and can't find it. what are the options for an out of the box 26in bmx?

  2. #2
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,706
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think a 26" BMX might just be a SS MTB. But, I could be wrong.

    Haro makes a 24" BMX. I had one a few years back. I rode street on it.

    http://www.harobikes.com/2006/bmx/x24.php

  3. #3
    aspiring dirtbag commuter max-a-mill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    2,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    redline monocog?

    it is more of an mtb but i have one and it is awesome!
    - the revolution will not be motorized -

  4. #4
    eert a ekil yzarc SpiderMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Pasadena TX
    My Bikes
    many bikes
    Posts
    2,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to the Volume Sledge Hammer? http://www.volumebikes.com/bikes-sh.html

    The green one is pictured in their News section. http://www.volumebikes.com/index.html

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's the attraction to bmx?
    no hate, but aside from the ability to do tricks and massive bunny hops, what's the attraction?
    Coming from road/track is seems I would go insane because I ride bikes to go places and to go places fast.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sycip makes one. You're going to pay through the nose for it though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,317
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready to Ruck
    what's the attraction to bmx?
    no hate, but aside from the ability to do tricks and massive bunny hops, what's the attraction?
    Coming from road/track is seems I would go insane because I ride bikes to go places and to go places fast.
    Road and track cycling are a world apart from BMX, and you can't judge BMX from it any better than a baseball player could judge BMX from their baseball perspective. I've done both (cycling and BMX) and street BMX is way more amenable to just plain old having fun, if you have friends that are into it with you. And it takes far more advantage of urban environemnts than other kinds of cycling. However, its definately not a transportation activity, but its more about what you said...tricks and massive bunnyhops, and this of course has spawned a whole subculture around itself. The stuff that top BMX riders are doing these days is extremely difficult and physically and mentally demanding and they deserve a lot of respect..way more respect than any fixed gear antics.

  8. #8
    Eat. Lift. Ride. Drink. Sinfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get a chwenny-fo if you want it to feel like a big kids bmx. A 26" bmx is just an urban/ dirt jump SS mountain bike. Kona, specialilzed, .243, evil, etc. all make dirt jump/ urban frames of some repute.

  9. #9
    YOU ARE NOW TUNED IN No_Minkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The City that Works
    Posts
    1,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach
    The stuff that top BMX riders are doing these days are very difficult and deserve a lot of respect..way more respect than any fixed gear antics.
    Yeah, impressive from a tricks/freestyle perspective, but that's like saying baseball is way more impressive than equestrian. They're not taking BMX bikes and racing them on the track.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach
    Road and track cycling are a world apart from BMX, and you can't judge BMX from it any better than a baseball player could judge BMX from their baseball perspective. I've done both (cycling and BMX) and street BMX is way more amenable to just plain old having fun, if you have friends that are into it with you. And it takes far more advantage of urban environemnts than other kinds of cycling. However, its definately not a transportation activity, but its more about what you said...tricks and massive bunnyhops, and this of course has spawned a whole subculture around itself. The stuff that top BMX riders are doing these days is extremely difficult and physically and mentally demanding and they deserve a lot of respect..way more respect than any fixed gear antics.
    I'd rather skate and thrash it up.
    It's weird people say Austin is the unofficial capital of bmx riding. I mean it is true that I see more bmxers than anyone and there are bmx parks here. BMXers rid eoutside me and my roommate's workplaces every day..
    I should befriend a bmx'er and see if I could try it out.

  11. #11
    Senior Member mikorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    hayes
    My Bikes
    none
    Posts
    681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks! take it off any sweet jumps?



    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMike
    Are you referring to the Volume Sledge Hammer? http://www.volumebikes.com/bikes-sh.html

    The green one is pictured in their News section. http://www.volumebikes.com/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,317
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by No_Minkah
    Yeah, impressive from a tricks/freestyle perspective, but that's like saying baseball is way more impressive than equestrian. They're not taking BMX bikes and racing them on the track.
    No..I didn't say it was more impressive than track racing..its a totally different sport. You can't compare a track star to a BMX star..different talents altogether. What I meant was that BMX tricks are way more impressive than fixed gear antics..like trackstanding or skidding...those just are not challening tricks as far as BMX is concerned. Moreover, such fixed gear antics have very little to do with track racing or the case of trackstanding they are just basic track skills and not something you would judge a track racer by.

  13. #13
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,317
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready to Ruck
    I'd rather skate and thrash it up.
    It's weird people say Austin is the unofficial capital of bmx riding. I mean it is true that I see more bmxers than anyone and there are bmx parks here. BMXers rid eoutside me and my roommate's workplaces every day..
    I should befriend a bmx'er and see if I could try it out.
    Funny. Back when I was BMXing, I had friends who skated and some that biked and some that did both. I never could really get into skating as much as I tried...it was always just BMX for me. On the other hand, several of my skater friends just didn't ever get the hole BMX thing either. I didn't matter..we all rode the same ramps and stree obstacles. To each his own...but yeah skating and BMX go hand-in-hand more than BMX and cycling.

  14. #14
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,706
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready to Ruck
    what's the attraction to bmx?
    For me it's WALLRIDES!


    I agree about getting there fast and all. I hated riding from spot to spot. But once you got there it was time to thow down.

  15. #15
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.firemansbikes.com


    26" BMX frames. Roughly 1/2 the price of the Sycip.

    Also SE and a couple other companies make 26" cruiser (as in, cruiser class) bikes. DK makes/made the General Lee.
    Last edited by Aeroplane; 05-23-06 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  16. #16
    YOU ARE NOW TUNED IN No_Minkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The City that Works
    Posts
    1,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach
    No..I didn't say it was more impressive than track racing..its a totally different sport. You can't compare a track star to a BMX star..different talents altogether. What I meant was that BMX tricks are way more impressive than fixed gear antics..like trackstanding or skidding...those just are not challening tricks as far as BMX is concerned. Moreover, such fixed gear antics have very little to do with track racing or the case of trackstanding they are just basic track skills and not something you would judge a track racer by.
    Well then we're on the same page. All is right in the world between Minkah and Mihlbach.

  17. #17
    eert a ekil yzarc SpiderMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Pasadena TX
    My Bikes
    many bikes
    Posts
    2,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    www.firemansbikes.com


    26" BMX frames. Roughly 1/3 the price of the Sycip.
    ahhhh you had to mention the Firemans Texas Cruzer. It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.

    Mikorp, I found the Sledgehammer over at Danscomp. Their asking only $349.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by No_Minkah
    Yeah, impressive from a tricks/freestyle perspective, but that's like saying baseball is way more impressive than equestrian. They're not taking BMX bikes and racing them on the track.
    Sure they are, it's just a different track.

  19. #19
    Senior Member mikorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    hayes
    My Bikes
    none
    Posts
    681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up getting one at cost because we need it for a photo project, and volume was on top of it! thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMike
    ahhhh you had to mention the Firemans Texas Cruzer. It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.

    Mikorp, I found the Sledgehammer over at Danscomp. Their asking only $349.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •