I've done some searching, but can't seem to find a solution to my problem - My drivetrain is noisy. I can hear a bumblebee type rattle for about a 1/4 - 1/2 turn while my drive side crank arm is in front. The noise is louder when I pedal harder.
I'm running -
Truvativ Touro crankset (3/32 48 tooth ring)
Whatever ISIS BB comes w/ a Bianchi Pista
Phil hub w/ 1/8" 17 tooth Phil cog
1/8th" KMC HX chain
- My chainline should be perfectly straight.
- I tightened the chainring bolts
- The chain is properly lubed
- I've adjusted the chain tension as much as possible. With it too tight the noise is more pronounced, but it does not go away completely when loose.
- I do not have a crank puller, so removing the cranks is not an option
- I checked to be sure that the chainring was centered properly, but I have no idea how to actually check it. I can see where it dips slightly during the rotation, but I loosened all the chainring bolts and there is no room for adjustment.
I ran the chain using paraffin wax as a lube for a few days and the noise almost completely went away. Unfortunately, I get about 25 miles with the wax before it wears off and about 5 more before it sounds like it's going to bind with the chainring.
I haven't got the money to visit the LBS right now and this noise is ****ing killing me. I've heard people say that their drivetrain is noisy, but I'd be expecting something more consisent.
Is it the crappy crankset? BB? Normal?