Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-06, 01:22 PM   #1
abp
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes: Nishiki Comp, Cilo Fixie, 05' Bianchi Pista
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NYCbike Farm Bred, IRO Mark V or Bianchi Pista?

Looking for a fixie on a budget and was thinking about one of these, NYCbike Farm Bred, IRO Mark V or Bianchi Pista?. I've taken the Pista for a spin and like it, but have not been able find the other two in Los Angeles. Anyone with opinions on these 3 bikes? I've heard good and bad things about a couple, but would like your input if you've given any of them a ride.

Thanks for the help.
abp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 01:46 PM   #2
dogpound
1 trick pony
 
dogpound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on my bike
Bikes:
Posts: 1,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
search NYCbike and IRO here, you'll get your answer
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 01:49 PM   #3
humancongereel
live free or die trying
 
humancongereel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: where i lay my head is home.
Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
Posts: 6,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
search pista, too. no shortage of threads on that.
humancongereel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 01:49 PM   #4
Sin-A-Matic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound
search NYCbike and IRO here, you'll get your answer
I'll save the OP the trouble - IRO.
Sin-A-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 07:11 PM   #5
orbThorn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver
Bikes: 05 Bianchi Pista, 07 Niner Air 9
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my pista.
orbThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 07:44 PM   #6
eat_raw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, what a novel topic.


Kinda like being in a 3rd world bordello, the absolutely cheapest one in town,
trying to determine a method to select between the hookers:

they all have STD's of some sort or other

they're all extremely used

etc.


The point: it DOESN'T ****IN MATTER
eat_raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 10:20 PM   #7
cardstock
4 letter tirade
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 8 blocks west of the Sears Tower
Bikes: Soon to be owner of a matching pair of Rock Lobster CX machines, Kelly Deluxe, Bianchi Commuter, Waterford R22
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NYC sucks ass, thats it.
Tony at IRO has one of the best reputations around.
thats all you need to know
cardstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 01:47 AM   #8
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways
 
hyperRevue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MKE
Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze
Posts: 4,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forum has been boring lately, get a NYCBikes and report back.

And cardstock, show some respect and spell "Milwaukee" correctly, please.
__________________
"I owe everyone an apology" - hyperrevue
hyperRevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 02:12 AM   #9
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))
 
Serendipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
Posts: 5,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wal-Mart Next- full suspension- with a sucide hub.

Just to be different.
Serendipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 08:11 AM   #10
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,960
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
oy. yeah, you can use the search function. here's some info to help you get started.

what do you want the bike for?

pista has tighter, trackier geometry. search for "track geometry" or tight, steep angles, read up on it, maybe that's what you want and maybe that's what you'll buy a bike for.

IRO is a small company with great customer service, and great wheels built by velocity. so maybe you'll buy a bike knowing that that you want a steel bike with really solid wheels, and a more relaxed, all-around sort of ride. (i love my mark V)

NYC bikes, um, has a spotty history. but maybe you want an aluminum bike.
queerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 11:07 AM   #11
mareesha
...
 
mareesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Bikes: mine
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperRevue
Forum has been boring lately, get a NYCBikes and report back.

And cardstock, show some respect and spell "Milwaukee" correctly, please.
"MKE" ??
mareesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 11:13 AM   #12
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways
 
hyperRevue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MKE
Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze
Posts: 4,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareesha
"MKE" ??
Yes?
__________________
"I owe everyone an apology" - hyperrevue
hyperRevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 11:14 AM   #13
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways
 
hyperRevue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MKE
Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze
Posts: 4,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperRevue
And cardstock, show some respect and spell "Milwaukee" correctly, please.
For the record cardstock, I was more or less kidding.
I mean you did have it misspelled but I didn't really "care" or think it was disrespectful.
Just wanted to make sure I didn't come off as a dick.
__________________
"I owe everyone an apology" - hyperrevue
hyperRevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 11:22 AM   #14
cardstock
4 letter tirade
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 8 blocks west of the Sears Tower
Bikes: Soon to be owner of a matching pair of Rock Lobster CX machines, Kelly Deluxe, Bianchi Commuter, Waterford R22
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel you, considering i am a college graduate and i live only 75 miles south I should know what I am doing. did I mention I own a bike of the same name. F phonetics
cardstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 11:24 AM   #15
Phil B
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerpunk
oy. yeah, you can use the search function. here's some info to help you get started.

what do you want the bike for?

pista has tighter, trackier geometry. search for "track geometry" or tight, steep angles, read up on it, maybe that's what you want and maybe that's what you'll buy a bike for.

IRO is a small company with great customer service, and great wheels built by velocity. so maybe you'll buy a bike knowing that that you want a steel bike with really solid wheels, and a more relaxed, all-around sort of ride. (i love my mark V)

NYC bikes, um, has a spotty history. but maybe you want an aluminum bike.
IRO also has the (aluminum) jamie roy. so you could get all the benefits of buying from IRO and still get an aluminum frame.
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 11:53 AM   #16
SoreFeet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
whats wrong with a conversion?

A modest touring frame with light components will provide a comfy ride and take potholes, accept larger tires and just ride more comfortable. I dont understand the appeal of riding track bikes on the road. Longer wheelbase is a helluva lot more comfy than short tight frames.
SoreFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 01:23 PM   #17
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways
 
hyperRevue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MKE
Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze
Posts: 4,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
Longer wheelbase is a helluva lot more comfy than short tight frames.
You forgot to add, "IMO."
__________________
"I owe everyone an apology" - hyperrevue
hyperRevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 11:13 AM   #18
paz
a peaceful penguin
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: chicago
Bikes: NYC fix, cannondale mtn
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstock
NYC sucks ass, thats it.
cardstock is kinda being a dick for not giving a reason why he thinks NYC sucks.
he doesn't ride the bike he bought from them so really he has no idea if the BIKE itself sucks.
In all actuality the NYCbike is pretty nice, really smooth, super light- now I don't have much to go off of b/c it is my first and only fixed gear bike, but I love it and it suits me really well and it rides beautifully.

the reason cardstock says they suck ass is because when we ordered the bike it was only supposed to take about 3 weeks to get, in the end it ended up taking 7. The bike is nice but the complany's customer service sucks nuts, the reason it took so long is b/c they didn't have everything when they quoted the arrival time and they also never contacted cardstock to let him know what was going on... and when he contacted him they kind of gave him the run around. eventually I got my bike, I was stoked and still am, I love it and ride it just about everyday.

I also know a handful of people who own pistas and like them.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 11:23 AM   #19
thurstonboise
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boise, Idyho
Bikes: '04 fisher 29er, NYC Bikes CityFixed
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz
cardstock is kinda being a dick for not giving a reason why he thinks NYC sucks.
he doesn't ride the bike he bought from them so really he has no idea if the BIKE itself sucks.
In all actuality the NYCbike is pretty nice, really smooth, super light- now I don't have much to go off of b/c it is my first and only fixed gear bike, but I love it and it suits me really well and it rides beautifully.

the reason cardstock says they suck ass is because when we ordered the bike it was only supposed to take about 3 weeks to get, in the end it ended up taking 7. The bike is nice but the complany's customer service sucks nuts, the reason it took so long is b/c they didn't have everything when they quoted the arrival time and they also never contacted cardstock to let him know what was going on... and when he contacted him they kind of gave him the run around. eventually I got my bike, I was stoked and still am, I love it and ride it just about everyday.

I also know a handful of people who own pistas and like them.
True.
Fun ride, decent frame, horrible customer service. My frame showed up only 4 days later than quoted, but the number of complaints all over the interwebs about the customer service says something about the business practices.
thurstonboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 11:29 AM   #20
paz
a peaceful penguin
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: chicago
Bikes: NYC fix, cannondale mtn
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree completely about bad customer service saying something about business practices I am just trying to relay that the bike itself doesn't suck ass but the customer service is what is less than impressive.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 01:15 PM   #21
thurstonboise
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boise, Idyho
Bikes: '04 fisher 29er, NYC Bikes CityFixed
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got it. Mine is a ton of fun to ride.
thurstonboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.