Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Lanterne Rouge
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Beacon, NY
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur
    Posts
    1,764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Conversion to Fixed/SS possible?

    I have a Schwinn Voyageur sitting gathering dust in a garage... older frame, wondering whether it would be a decent candidate for a conversion to Fixed/SS on a flip-flop hub.

    I think the wheels are 27s, not sure where I can find a rear to switch out for the current one.

    Any advice? Am I going to need to replace the wheels and fiddle with the brakes to make this work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    997
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superslomo
    I have a Schwinn Voyageur sitting gathering dust in a garage... older frame, wondering whether it would be a decent candidate for a conversion to Fixed/SS on a flip-flop hub.?
    since its an older bike, it most probably has horizontal dropouts, so 'yes', it would be a decent candidate.

    Quote Originally Posted by superslomo
    I think the wheels are 27s, not sure where I can find a rear to switch out for the current one.?
    shouldnt need to switch it out. Its probably a freewheel hub, meaning conversion of this wheel is pretty simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by superslomo
    Any advice? Am I going to need to replace the wheels and fiddle with the brakes to make this work?
    nope. search on 'fixed gear converstion'

  3. #3
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  4. #4
    Senior Member DiegoFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    My Bikes
    Mostly old stuff.
    Posts
    1,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't cut off the cantilever brake mounts! Those old touring bikes are real treasures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •