Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    pasadena, ca
    My Bikes
    gary fisher
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I need some advice to get started on parts...(picture of my Cannondale frame)

    Here's a ~16-20 year old Cannondale frame I found in my buddy's garage that was once his older brother's. For good measure, I called up his brother that lives far away if I could have it. He could've cared less about the bike, as it had been sitting in my friend's garage for the last 10+ years gathering dust and rust.

    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...6108IcNGzFm2aa

    There is nothing that was brazed on for me to remove. There were basically plastic clips that held in the brake lines that popped right out with a set of pliers. So now there are holes in the frame, but those are standard.

    Is this thing made of aluminum or something? Part of the tube is a lot thicker than the rest. (On a side note, there is also a Centurion bike of the same vintage, in the same shape. His older brothers were twins...I'm wondering if that is the better bike to turn into a fixie).

    So I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly it is that I need to buy. I have no clue what size to look for on anything. The only thing I know about a bike is how to ride one. I am pretty good with tools and minor fabrication, as I used to be a mechanic.

    I'd like to make this thing a fixed gear bike with just a front brake. I have the handlebars, but I don't know how to take off the brake. Any advice?

    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...6108IcNGzFm2aa

    There doesn't seem to be anything to pop off so I can access a screw or anything.

    If anyone could PM me links to specific parts i would need, or just PM me the sizes.

    The only thing I know is that the neck says "0.875" which I'm assuming is the diameter. That's about it.

    Also, how do I tell what size bike this is? I rode it once when I was 13 years old, and it fit me pretty well. I think I was about 5'8 or 5'9 back then...the bike was still in fantastic shape back then. What part of the bike do I measure to figure out what size this is?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squeeze the brake handle and look inside... you'll see a hex bolt in there. You can unscrew that to get the handle off.

  3. #3
    LF for the accentdeprived
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read around on sheldonbrown.com

    It covers everything you need to know and more, and it has a whole page on fixed-gear conversion. I don't think anyone here will have the patience to spoonfeed everything to you... It's all on Sheldon's page, spend two hours reading all that's relevant to you. Come back with specific questions afterwards.
    Start with the page on dropouts. Yours looks vertical, which will make life a bit difficult. Here's the link, the last one you get from me: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

    Frame size: measure the seattube and the top tube center to center in cm, tell us how tall you are and we can make a guess if it's at least close to the right size.

    Frame material: I'd guess steel. If a magnet sticks to it, it is. Otherwise, aluminium. The fork may not be the same material as the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    Do you deny that you are clueless or do you just think that "moron" didn't need to be tacked on there?
    Bike on flickr and on FGG

  4. #4
    Senior Member morbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that bike is definitely aluminum. is it really that old though? i thought that model of cannondale was from the mid-90s

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    pasadena, ca
    My Bikes
    gary fisher
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbot
    that bike is definitely aluminum. is it really that old though? i thought that model of cannondale was from the mid-90s
    Yes, it is definitely pre 90's.

    I rode that thing before I was able to drive, and that's been over 16 years ago. In the mid 90's, the only bike I was on was my 600cc Suzuki.

    As for the other tips, the problem with Sheldon's website is that there aren't hardly enough pics!

  6. #6
    Dismount Run Remount etc. 12XU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Some Latitude and Some Longitude
    My Bikes
    A couple customs and some beaters.
    Posts
    2,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull the pop tab, there's soda inside!

    Also, rusting aluminum? Do tell...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    pasadena, ca
    My Bikes
    gary fisher
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    Pull the pop tab, there's soda inside!

    Also, rusting aluminum? Do tell...
    not the aluminum. All the other parts. Like the derailers, screws, brake lines, chains, etc.

  8. #8
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LóFarkas
    Read around on sheldonbrown.com

    It covers everything you need to know and more, and it has a whole page on fixed-gear conversion. I don't think anyone here will have the patience to spoonfeed everything to you... It's all on Sheldon's page, spend two hours reading all that's relevant to you. Come back with specific questions afterwards.
    Start with the page on dropouts. Yours looks vertical, which will make life a bit difficult. Here's the link, the last one you get from me: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

    Frame size: measure the seattube and the top tube center to center in cm, tell us how tall you are and we can make a guess if it's at least close to the right size.

    Frame material: I'd guess steel. If a magnet sticks to it, it is. Otherwise, aluminium. The fork may not be the same material as the frame.
    That's not going to fly, he has vert dropouts. Unless he gets one of those super expensive hubs.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or if you have vertical dropouts buy a set of horizontal dropouts and have a welding shop cut and weld them on maybe. i dont know if this is legit with an alluminum frame but might be worth looking into. or find someone to trade it to for a better frame.
    wrangeling dudes

  10. #10
    Geek Extraordinaire sivat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail
    Posts
    1,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I's say the price is the only thing this frame has going for it as a fixed gear. The vertical dropouts will make either your gearing selection or hub selection small. For a cruiser, aluminum isn't as nice a ride as steel. I'd probably go with the centurion.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

    Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track

  11. #11
    one
    one is offline
    Senior Member one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    19104
    My Bikes
    Havnoonian, Specialized GC, Jap Fixie
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LóFarkas
    Here's the link, the last one you get from me: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

    lmfao, dick.

  12. #12
    LF for the accentdeprived
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, one, people who can't google/site search for themselves deserve their fate... I'm sure the OP can.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    Do you deny that you are clueless or do you just think that "moron" didn't need to be tacked on there?
    Bike on flickr and on FGG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •