Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    non
    non is offline
    Senior Member non's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec
    My Bikes
    Peugeot
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do you like my wheels?

    Nothing to do (actually, lots of **** to do, but don't want to do it).

    If anyone wants one done to see if a certain combination would look good for their next build, pm me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    King Among Runaways hyperRevue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    MKE
    My Bikes
    2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze
    Posts
    4,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?
    "I owe everyone an apology" - hyperrevue

  3. #3
    blah onetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    5,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    see also 36h crows foot lacing




  4. #4
    Senior Member mattface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Montpeculiar, VT
    My Bikes
    Soma Rush, Fuji Cross, Raleigh Technium Mtn Bike, Ross 10 speed with Shimano 600.
    Posts
    3,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhm... no?

    No 16 spoke wheels for me thanks.

  5. #5
    non
    non is offline
    Senior Member non's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec
    My Bikes
    Peugeot
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyeight
    see also 36h crows foot lacing



    for these examples, I tried the 32h Hybrid crows foot.

    I'll try some new ones eventually.

  6. #6
    Senior Member kathrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    somerville, ma
    My Bikes
    circle a.
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm planning a wheelbuild for this fall and aiming to do it myself. i was initially thinking of 3 leading / 3 trailing with mavic open pros, but it seems that's not a strong combo. would you think that the crows foot lacing is strong enough for me? i weigh about 150lbs.

  7. #7
    non
    non is offline
    Senior Member non's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec
    My Bikes
    Peugeot
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattface
    uhm... no?

    No 16 spoke wheels for me thanks.
    silly!

  8. #8
    blah onetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    5,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattface
    uhm... no?

    No 16 spoke wheels for me thanks.
    thats just one side of the wheel, dude.

    that been said, 3x is the best!

  9. #9
    non
    non is offline
    Senior Member non's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec
    My Bikes
    Peugeot
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathrot
    i'm planning a wheelbuild for this fall and aiming to do it myself. i was initially thinking of 3 leading / 3 trailing with mavic open pros, but it seems that's not a strong combo. would you think that the crows foot lacing is strong enough for me? i weigh about 150lbs.
    I'm not a wheelbuilder. I only illustrate stuff.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mattface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Montpeculiar, VT
    My Bikes
    Soma Rush, Fuji Cross, Raleigh Technium Mtn Bike, Ross 10 speed with Shimano 600.
    Posts
    3,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyeight
    thats just one side of the wheel, dude.

    that been said, 3x is the best!
    Then I'm not understanding the illustration. I can see all the spokes from either side on my wheels.

    That pattern doesn't look very well balanced to me, and seems overly complex because it appears to require at least 2 different lengths of spokes.

    I'm not a big fan of complex lacing patterns. For strength, reliability, and the most efficient use of materials/weight KISS.

  11. #11
    Senior Member kathrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    somerville, ma
    My Bikes
    circle a.
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by non
    I'm not a wheelbuilder. I only illustrate stuff.
    yes. i thought maybe others might have some advice as well.

  12. #12
    non
    non is offline
    Senior Member non's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec
    My Bikes
    Peugeot
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattface
    Then I'm not understanding the illustration. I can see all the spokes from either side on my wheels.

    That pattern doesn't look very well balanced to me, and seems overly complex because it appears to require at least 2 different lengths of spokes.

    I'm not a big fan of complex lacing patterns. For strength, reliability, and the most efficient use of materials/weight KISS.

    Ok... the purpose of this thread was to offer tools to people who want to have a wheel "virtually built" before building it for real. Not how the lacing pattern is to complex or not durable enough.

    That being said, any wheel lacing pattern can be illustrated (3x, radial, etc.).

  13. #13
    Senior Member mattface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Montpeculiar, VT
    My Bikes
    Soma Rush, Fuji Cross, Raleigh Technium Mtn Bike, Ross 10 speed with Shimano 600.
    Posts
    3,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by non
    Ok... the purpose of this thread was to offer tools to people who want to have a wheel "virtually built" before building it for real. Not how the lacing pattern is to complex or not durable enough.

    That being said, any wheel lacing pattern can be illustrated (3x, radial, etc.).
    Oh... If that was the purpose of this thread, why didn't you say so in the first place? That's what the thread title, and first post are for, explaining the purpose of the thread. "How do you like my wheels" implies that you are seeking people's opinions on your wheels, and the content of your first post implied that you were bored, and procrastinating, but said nothing about tools for virtual wheel building.

    I'm not sure what "tools" you used since you don't say, but a compass, straight edge, and a protractor work nicely for that purpose.

  14. #14
    non
    non is offline
    Senior Member non's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec
    My Bikes
    Peugeot
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattface
    Oh... If that was the purpose of this thread, why didn't you say so in the first place? That's what the thread title, and first post are for, explaining the purpose of the thread. "How do you like my wheels" implies that you are seeking people's opinions on your wheels, and the content of your first post implied that you were bored, and procrastinating, but said nothing about tools for virtual wheel building.

    I'm not sure what "tools" you used since you don't say, but a compass, straight edge, and a protractor work nicely for that purpose.
    Well said.

  15. #15
    non
    non is offline
    Senior Member non's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec
    My Bikes
    Peugeot
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by non
    If anyone wants one done to see if a certain combination would look good for their next build, pm me.
    Funny how you seemed to forget this part of the post. Anyways, enough of this useless debating. If someone has an idea for a wheel and wonders what it looks like put together, I can help by providing free illustration services (using adobe Illustrator CS2, a Apple 867mhz dual processor PowerMac, 1Gb of RAM, a keyboard, a mouse, a Samsung SyncMaster997df and electricity).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •