Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    frame size for a fixed vs. regular road ride?

    Hi,

    I'd like to build up a fixed gear, and am scouring ebay for old frames. Is the sizing for a fixed about the same as a road bike? I'm looking at old roadbikes, and normally I ride a 60cm. For a fixed can I go with a 58? Is it OK to be smaller? Or is it better to go with the same size as your road frame?

    Just wondering what those in the know think.

    regards,
    Francis

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The size should be the same. If you are looking at cheaper old road bikes size doesn't matter as much though.

  3. #3
    RIP Shiznaz. DoshKel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The corner seat.
    My Bikes
    1982 Piaggio Pista, Puch 130 conversion, '05 Bianchi Pista Concept, Shogun 500 s/s conversion.
    Posts
    2,603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that a frame size is a frame size. Unless you are looking for a specific use for the bike that requires something different. You would know that though if it is personalized.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pfutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    minneapolis
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a size smaller than usual on my fix and I have been satisfied sofar.

  5. #5
    poser/hipster/whatever xthugmurderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    milwaukee, philly, and back, minneapolis in july
    My Bikes
    d/a allez -trek t1
    Posts
    996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're looking at doing a conversation, you are using a road frame, so you should use the road frame size that fits you. if you are getting a track frame, get one about 2 cm smaller.

  6. #6
    Senior Member highpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    minneapolis
    My Bikes
    iro mark v 48x16 or 15 i think (fixed), surly 1x1 32x16 (free)
    Posts
    607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfutz
    I bought a size smaller than usual on my fix and I have been satisfied sofar.
    some people do enjoy a bit smaller of a frame for a fixed gear. you aren't going to be able to change gears when the ***** gets hairy, so being able to muscle your frame around is kind of a nice feature. ultimately i think that's more a matter of personal preference rather than a hard and fast rule, if that's of any help. and ultimately, regardless of the size of your frame, when the ***** gets hairy, you're going to need to rely on your leg muscles.

  7. #7
    park ranger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    mars
    My Bikes
    recumbents
    Posts
    1,794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xthugmurderx
    if you're looking at doing a conversation, you are using a road frame, so you should use the road frame size that fits you. if you are getting a track frame, get one about 2 cm smaller.
    is this because the top tube is a bit longer in relation to the seat tube on a track frame than on a road frame ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Police Chief
    I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salem, MA
    My Bikes
    Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1
    Posts
    2,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piwonka
    is this because the top tube is a bit longer in relation to the seat tube on a track frame than on a road frame ?
    no. generally speaking, the rear triangle is smaller, the fork has less rake, therefore the wheelbase is shorter. the seat tube and head tube angles tend to be steep, in the 74*-76* range. this allows for more manuverability, it also places the rider farther forward of the bottom bracket, which allows the rider to get a greater amount of leverage on the bars while retaining a low center of gravity and maintaining a position that maximizes aerodynamics and power output from the leg muscles. the bottom bracket is higher for clearance on banked velodrome tracks.

  9. #9
    park ranger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    mars
    My Bikes
    recumbents
    Posts
    1,794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sers
    no. generally speaking, the rear triangle is smaller, the fork has less rake, therefore the wheelbase is shorter. the seat tube and head tube angles tend to be steep, in the 74*-76* range. this allows for more manuverability, it also places the rider farther forward of the bottom bracket, which allows the rider to get a greater amount of leverage on the bars while retaining a low center of gravity and maintaining a position that maximizes aerodynamics and power output from the leg muscles. the bottom bracket is higher for clearance on banked velodrome tracks.
    so is that why you need a (generally) 2cm smaller frame?
    sounds to me like you just described the general differences in track vs. road frames. i'm thinking you probably answered the "why 2cm smaller?" question when you said that the bottom bracket is higher, but i'm wondering if this is right or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Police Chief
    I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salem, MA
    My Bikes
    Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1
    Posts
    2,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    generally speaking, yes. take all of this with a grain of salt. fitting a unique body to a standardized frame for a particular application isn't cut and dry. The adjustments of the seatpost height, saddle angle, saddle fore-aft, stem height, stem rise and stem will likely allow you to obtain a good fit if you've narrowed down what top tube length and seat tube length will work for you. however, your chances of finding an ideal fit are a lot better if you enlist the help of someone who's experienced in..fitting. a lot of shops will apply the cost of fitting in part or in whole to the purchase of a bike there.

  11. #11
    park ranger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    mars
    My Bikes
    recumbents
    Posts
    1,794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so should someone looking for a track frame be looking for a 2cm shorter seat tube AND top tube?
    i usually check frames out based on the top tube length.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Police Chief
    I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salem, MA
    My Bikes
    Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1
    Posts
    2,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, the top tube remains the same. don't forget that the head tube becomes more horizontally aligned as as well

    /----------/ <- road bike

    |----------| <- track bike


    while your reach remains the same, the bars are farther ahead for more power.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •