Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to choose the gearing for my fixie. A few things I should mention:
* I do a ton of road riding and will have lots of strength and endurance. At the start I will probably have insufficient bike handling skills to deal with all fixed gear situations for a while but i'm really looking forward to developing those skills!
* If I'm on the flats on my bike, I'll typically ride in the 53/17 or 53/19 if i'm going a bit slower. those are my two gears i tend to stay in quite a bit if i'm just cruising fast around the neighborhood.
* i'm interested to get a gear ratio which allows me a number of different skid points on the tire.
* i live in Boston where it's mostly flat. Some of my rides get into serious thigh country where it's updownupdownupdown type of stuff. getting up beacon hill is a reality although i would prefer to go faster on flats than easy up hills.
* the bike is going to be a daily commuter type, jjust poking around the city on my errands, back and forth to lunch, a few miles here, a few there. nothing huge. I may want to take it out on a ride with the group once in a while, althouhg i'd need to get a front brake on there.
So with all that said, waht kind of gearing should I be looking at for the front and rear?
really looking forward to building up a sick bike for pretty cheap, and it'll be totally custom just how i want it. cool.