Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member jeffreyahorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Redline Conquest; Salsa Las Cruces; Cannondale Track; Bianchi San Jose
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pittsburgh - Bead Blasted + Powder coated

    Does anyone have suggestions for where I can have a steel frame bead blasted and powder coated in the Pittsburgh area? I thought that someone mentioned a place last week, but I cannot find the thread.

    I searched the forum and found many results for the Oakland/SF area, but no such luck for this steel city. Surely, someone must know. Thanks...

    JAH

  2. #2
    Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap veggiemafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pixxxburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allegheny Metal Finishing. It's out in Imperial, PA, but they do a great job for a great price. (I got my frame media blasted and powdercoated with a color they had in stock for $50, SingleSpeeDemon got his done with a color they needed to order for $80).

    724-695-3233, ask for Jason Cruise, tell him Will and Andrew sent you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    the bagina is the frame and the fork is the wangola. The wheels are the ass nipples.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jeffreyahorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Redline Conquest; Salsa Las Cruces; Cannondale Track; Bianchi San Jose
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the fast reply. I will call tomorrow. I have a relatively new Bianchi San Jose that I picked up for very little. The problem is that I keep putting scratches in to the frame, and I was hoping that this would be my winter ride.

    Has anyone ever treated the inside of the steel frame with zinc chromate etching primer? Besides the carcinogenic tendencies of the primer and the need for an appropriate respirator whilst spraying, it seems tempting to me if I can get a good spray inside via the few openings that exist.


    Jeffrey

  4. #4
    Senior Member SingleSpeeDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Peloton Pro, Colnago Master, Vision R40, Volae Club, Raleigh Record
    Posts
    1,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyahorn
    Thanks for the fast reply. I will call tomorrow. I have a relatively new Bianchi San Jose that I picked up for very little. The problem is that I keep putting scratches in to the frame, and I was hoping that this would be my winter ride.

    Has anyone ever treated the inside of the steel frame with zinc chromate etching primer? Besides the carcinogenic tendencies of the primer and the need for an appropriate respirator whilst spraying, it seems tempting to me if I can get a good spray inside via the few openings that exist.


    Jeffrey
    What colour are you getting?
    My Current Bikes:

    • 1993 Giant Kronos
    • 1974 Zeus (in restoration)
    • Cruzbike Silvio

  5. #5
    Senior Member jeffreyahorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Redline Conquest; Salsa Las Cruces; Cannondale Track; Bianchi San Jose
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since you asked: I am thinking that I will go with a dark, graphite like grey. I replaced the steel fork with a carbon, disc capable cross fork which happens to be shiny black. I think that the dull grey will go with the black fork.

    This is my fall bike project; I am taking the San Jose from a single speed with 2x canti brakes to a fixed gear with 1x disc front brake. I built a rear wheel (Mavic cxp22 rim) with a flip/flop hub (Formula) from the wrecked Cannondale, and I am a few days away from building a disc compatible 700c front wheel (WTB Laser Disc hub) on a Mavic cxp22 rim.

    The wheels from the Bianchi will go to my lady friend's SS conversion Schwinn (World Sport).

    What do you think?

    Jeffrey

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyahorn
    Has anyone ever treated the inside of the steel frame with zinc chromate etching primer? Besides the carcinogenic tendencies of the primer and the need for an appropriate respirator whilst spraying, it seems tempting to me if I can get a good spray inside via the few openings that exist.
    J. P. Weigle Framesaver may be a better choice.

  7. #7
    Senior Member SingleSpeeDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Peloton Pro, Colnago Master, Vision R40, Volae Club, Raleigh Record
    Posts
    1,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyahorn
    Well, since you asked: I am thinking that I will go with a dark, graphite like grey. I replaced the steel fork with a carbon, disc capable cross fork which happens to be shiny black. I think that the dull grey will go with the black fork.

    This is my fall bike project; I am taking the San Jose from a single speed with 2x canti brakes to a fixed gear with 1x disc front brake. I built a rear wheel (Mavic cxp22 rim) with a flip/flop hub (Formula) from the wrecked Cannondale, and I am a few days away from building a disc compatible 700c front wheel (WTB Laser Disc hub) on a Mavic cxp22 rim.

    The wheels from the Bianchi will go to my lady friend's SS conversion Schwinn (World Sport).

    What do you think?

    Jeffrey
    I like the colour choice and the front disc is a sweet idea. I keep thinking I want to try that someday just so that I can get coloured Deep Vs and keep them in pristine condition.

    We should ride...are you in the city or elsewhere?
    My Current Bikes:

    • 1993 Giant Kronos
    • 1974 Zeus (in restoration)
    • Cruzbike Silvio

  8. #8
    Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap veggiemafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pixxxburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, you're the guy who got hit on the C'Dale? That's rough. Good to hear you're back in the saddle.

    What became of that? Did the guy in the car just cut you a check for a new sled?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    the bagina is the frame and the fork is the wangola. The wheels are the ass nipples.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh!
    My Bikes
    Track bike, road fixed, cross fixed, two single speed mountain.
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should both show up for the Halloween alleycat next weekend.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jeffreyahorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Redline Conquest; Salsa Las Cruces; Cannondale Track; Bianchi San Jose
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Squirrel Hill and am planning on making the Halloween alleycat if the San Jose is done by then (I could delay the powder coating).

    As for the crash, the guy came through with a check for 2x the value of a new bike (Pista Concept was the value set point). I purchased a used, full carbon fork on ebay for $100 (45mm rake is hard to find), and I am planning to build a set of wheels on Mavic Open Pros that have yet to arrive. The bent crank shall be replaced with a Dura Ace track crank. Overall, I am making out like a bandit…

    JAH

  11. #11
    dmg
    dmg is offline
    Beautiful Member dmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, well played... man, I wish I got hit by a car. Curse my stupid luck.

    Hey, I'll (green crosscheck with a black fork, silver helmet, antisocial demeanor) be at that alleycat also - holler.

  12. #12
    Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap veggiemafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pixxxburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyahorn
    I am in Squirrel Hill and am planning on making the Halloween alleycat if the San Jose is done by then (I could delay the powder coating).

    As for the crash, the guy came through with a check for 2x the value of a new bike (Pista Concept was the value set point). I purchased a used, full carbon fork on ebay for $100 (45mm rake is hard to find), and I am planning to build a set of wheels on Mavic Open Pros that have yet to arrive. The bent crank shall be replaced with a Dura Ace track crank. Overall, I am making out like a bandit…

    JAH
    Whoa....for real? I hope I get hit by a car. Just kidding, don't wanna mess with that bad juju **** and jinx myself and die.

    Also, I'm planning on being at the alleycat, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    the bagina is the frame and the fork is the wangola. The wheels are the ass nipples.

  13. #13
    Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap veggiemafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pixxxburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmg
    Damn, well played... man, I wish I got hit by a car. Curse my stupid luck.

    Hey, I'll (green crosscheck with a black fork, silver helmet, antisocial demeanor) be at that alleycat also - holler.
    Is that YOUR green Crosscheck that's at the Market District Giant Eagle on Center sometimes? If it is, mine's the blue conversion with yellow tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    the bagina is the frame and the fork is the wangola. The wheels are the ass nipples.

  14. #14
    dmg
    dmg is offline
    Beautiful Member dmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I have parked there on occasion, but pretty few and far between. I'm guessing I have a bike doppelganger.

  15. #15
    Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap veggiemafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pixxxburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmg
    Hmm... I have parked there on occasion, but pretty few and far between. I'm guessing I have a bike doppelganger.
    You must. Apparently I do, too, only it's blue with red tires.

    Does anyone have grease paint for painting devil locks and eye makeup before this thing goes down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    the bagina is the frame and the fork is the wangola. The wheels are the ass nipples.

  16. #16
    dmg
    dmg is offline
    Beautiful Member dmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should be available whereever halloween supplies are sold. The question is, where does one get a skeleton skinsuit with a week's notice?

    Bike a go-go, chain-eaters, 20 Rides, Psycle '78, etc.

  17. #17
    Senior Member SingleSpeeDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Peloton Pro, Colnago Master, Vision R40, Volae Club, Raleigh Record
    Posts
    1,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmg
    That should be available whereever halloween supplies are sold. The question is, where does one get a skeleton skinsuit with a week's notice?
    You could bathe in hydrochloric acid prior to the race and just ride nekked...really nekked.
    My Current Bikes:

    • 1993 Giant Kronos
    • 1974 Zeus (in restoration)
    • Cruzbike Silvio

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •