Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    hot deal on SixSixOne's and eggbeaters ($62.50 + shipping)

    Steepandcheap.com has SixSixOne Sessions SPD's (even though the shoes in the pic are the non-SPD version) and eggbeaters candy c's, $62.50 plus shipping for the whole rig. Sizes are running short, but people should get on these if they want to go to clipless for like no money.

    SixSixOne shoes are pretty well liked around here, though there have been durability complaints. Eggbeater candy C's are pretty good, they're just regular beaters with a little frame so they might suck a little less for bodega runs in sneakers, though cue b!tching by everybody who hates eggbeaters (soft cleats, no tension adjustment).
    "I don't buy new frames, it just encourages them."

    -T.G.

  2. #2
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is teh link: http://www.steepandcheap.com/
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  3. #3
    Postmodern Beauty King
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    My Bikes
    Centurion Fix, Jamis Nova, Jamis Crosscountry
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the tread on these shoes adequately cover the cleat? All* of the "street" or "touring" shoes I have experienced left the cleat exposed enough that within two or three weeks the cleat was no longer effective.

    *All = Those shimano ones and the specialized taho.
    The wild geese do not intend to cast their reflection,
    The water has no mind to receive their image.
    -- Zenrin poem.

  4. #4
    Dismount Run Remount etc. 12XU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Some Latitude and Some Longitude
    My Bikes
    A couple customs and some beaters.
    Posts
    2,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieIG
    Does the tread on these shoes adequately cover the cleat? All* of the "street" or "touring" shoes I have experienced left the cleat exposed enough that within two or three weeks the cleat was no longer effective.

    *All = Those shimano ones and the specialized taho.
    The cleat must be exposed enough to engage with the pedal without intefering with the sole of the shoe. The wear you see on the face of the cleat doesn't make the cleat ineffective, as the wear you should be worried about is the increased curvature under the tangs of the cleat; that's caused only by engaging and disengaging with the pedal and not from walking on it (unless of course you're actually chipping away at the cleat to the point where the tangs are caved in). The cleats aren't as malleable as some would like to believe and the scuffing isn't an indicator of the overall wear of the cleat. A cleat should last a couple thousand miles, although it could reasonably be escalated by swaying your feet back and forth within the float zone or consistently hard forces (skidding). I've yet to pop out of my cleat from strictly forward forces and it's been almost a thousand miles ("premium" brass Crank Bros. cleat on Shimano MT40 shoes).

    Of course, if you're hiking or walking on gravel with your shoes, it's likely the aforementioned caving in of the tangs could happen, but the cleats are made of pretty hardy metal.

  5. #5
    Postmodern Beauty King
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    My Bikes
    Centurion Fix, Jamis Nova, Jamis Crosscountry
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    The cleat must be exposed enough to engage with the pedal without intefering with the sole of the shoe. The wear you see on the face of the cleat doesn't make the cleat ineffective, as the wear you should be worried about is the increased curvature under the tangs of the cleat; that's caused only by engaging and disengaging with the pedal and not from walking on it (unless of course you're actually chipping away at the cleat to the point where the tangs are caved in). The cleats aren't as malleable as some would like to believe and the scuffing isn't an indicator of the overall wear of the cleat. A cleat should last a couple thousand miles, although it could reasonably be escalated by swaying your feet back and forth within the float zone or consistently hard forces (skidding). I've yet to pop out of my cleat from strictly forward forces and it's been almost a thousand miles ("premium" brass Crank Bros. cleat on Shimano MT40 shoes).

    Of course, if you're hiking or walking on gravel with your shoes, it's likely the aforementioned caving in of the tangs could happen, but the cleats are made of pretty hardy metal.
    Sorry if my language was unclear. I was not actually speculating on what I think might happen if someone wore shoes with recessed cleats. I was alluding to something that actually happened to me. I can't find the cleats to take a picture of them, but I know how they are supposed to wear, I have eggbeaters on my mountain bike and quatros on my road bike. I tried for 3 weeks to use them on my daily fix with the Taho shoes, but I was soon pulling out of the pedals when I lifted with any force at all. I was walking on concrete. I tried the Shimano shoes and I could feel the same thing happening, so I gave up. I guess these would be safe in some kind of environment where concrete isnít the walking surface, but I live in a Western city, developed mainly in the 20th century.

    My photoshop attempt to illustrate:

    New:
    Three Weeks Later:
    The wild geese do not intend to cast their reflection,
    The water has no mind to receive their image.
    -- Zenrin poem.

  6. #6
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None left in my size. Damn!
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  7. #7
    Dismount Run Remount etc. 12XU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Some Latitude and Some Longitude
    My Bikes
    A couple customs and some beaters.
    Posts
    2,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyossarian
    None left in my size. Damn!
    Welcome to Mailorderland, where quality and selection are our lowest priorities!

  8. #8
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    Welcome to Mailorderland, where quality and selection are our lowest priorities!
    Dude, learn before you hate. S&C is a one day, one deal closeout site run by backcountry.com. Backcountry.com is a great retailer, they sell tons of stuff that 99.9% of the population couldn't get locally if they wanted to. Their prices are good and in my experience they have impeccable customer service.
    "I don't buy new frames, it just encourages them."

    -T.G.

  9. #9
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieIG
    Does the tread on these shoes adequately cover the cleat? All* of the "street" or "touring" shoes I have experienced left the cleat exposed enough that within two or three weeks the cleat was no longer effective.

    *All = Those shimano ones and the specialized taho.
    - these don't have that problem whatsoever

  10. #10
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    Welcome to Mailorderland, where quality and selection are our lowest priorities!
    Really? I could've swore you could say the exact same thing about an LBS.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  11. #11
    i am sure that i hate you spud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    703
    My Bikes
    'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)
    Posts
    3,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *zing*
    putting the pi back in pirate!
    Itís an upstanding member of the solar system
    Apply the laws of earth and make it a victim
    Of Proposition 187

  12. #12
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    Welcome to Mailorderland, where quality and selection are our lowest priorities!
    While I'm usually the one without anything constructive to say, I'm passing my hat to the newest ******-bag on the block.
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    tallahassee, florida!!!!!
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these are my shoes and my pedals.
    i love them both.
    waaaaaaaaay better than the spd pedals i rode for 6 years.
    thanks, op!

  14. #14
    Dismount Run Remount etc. 12XU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Some Latitude and Some Longitude
    My Bikes
    A couple customs and some beaters.
    Posts
    2,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    Really? I could've swore you could say the exact same thing about an LBS.
    Which of the thousands of LBS did I say this about? It probably wasn't the one where I'm employeed.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    Really? I could've swore you could say the exact same thing about an LBS.
    did you miss that?
    i agree with him.

    i'm debating whether or not to go for it. i'm pretty happy with clips and straps, but everyone's always talking about how nice clipless is. thank god no one who checks steepandcheap is really interested in these. its giving me a lot of time.

  16. #16
    Senior Member mattface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Montpeculiar, VT
    My Bikes
    Soma Rush, Fuji Cross, Raleigh Technium Mtn Bike, Ross 10 speed with Shimano 600.
    Posts
    3,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seriously considering these. I've been wanting to try beaters, and I need some walkable clipless shoes, so the deal seems perfect. Except... I think the shoes are ugly. Ah well... Perhaps that is all the excuse I need not to spend $62.50

  17. #17
    ass hatchet slopvehicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these look wide, like skate shoes. is that right?

    and has anyone figured out if the cleats are truly recessed?

  18. #18
    Senior Member ka12na's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    Fuji Track 06, Fuji Delrey conversion
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ridiculous looking shoes...

  19. #19
    fix
    fix is offline
    yeahh, becky fix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    1990 Kotter Albuch, 2005 Empella Spaar Select Cross, 2007 Ridley Aedon
    Posts
    1,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Landgolier
    Dude, learn before you hate. S&C is a one day, one deal closeout site run by backcountry.com. Backcountry.com is a great retailer, they sell tons of stuff that 99.9% of the population couldn't get locally if they wanted to. Their prices are good and in my experience they have impeccable customer service.
    +1 and they happen to sponsor me, so buy your **** there
    soh-CAh-T-oa-meter 0 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ X ~ ~ pi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •