Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-06, 09:32 AM   #1
goatboy
Cycleogicaly Disturbed
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK, Lancashire.
Bikes: )>> Orange P7 <<( ?? Dawes ??
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First fixie - advice needed!

Hi am new to the forum but have been lurking for a few months now. Can anyone advise me on my first fixed build?
Just received a set of Ambrosio wheels for a fixed build however I am having a few problems. The front hub spacing (10mm) is too big for my forks (9.5ml spacing) the wheel will fit with a bit of a struggle but I am worried I am stretching the fork a bit much. Spacing on the rear of the frame is ok however I am having problems fitting the rear axel into the rear horizontal dropouts (dropouts are 11 mm wide). Do I have a funny sized frame? It is a fillet brazed Dawes circa early 1960ís. This is my first fixed and road frame build and any solutions or advice will be appreciated.
Cheers
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 09:48 AM   #2
1fluffhead
Senior Member
 
1fluffhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: baltimore
Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy
Hi am new to the forum but have been lurking for a few months now. Can anyone advise me on my first fixed build?
Just received a set of Ambrosio wheels for a fixed build however I am having a few problems. The front hub spacing (10mm) is too big for my forks (9.5ml spacing) the wheel will fit with a bit of a struggle but I am worried I am stretching the fork a bit much. Spacing on the rear of the frame is ok however I am having problems fitting the rear axel into the rear horizontal dropouts (dropouts are 11 mm wide). Do I have a funny sized frame? It is a fillet brazed Dawes circa early 1960’s. This is my first fixed and road frame build and any solutions or advice will be appreciated.
Cheers
Yes, you have a funny size frame. Your hub, 10mm is like as wide as my pinky finger and your fork is in fluid measurments 9.5ml. Same deal with your rear measurments. Do you mean these measurements in cm?

Last edited by 1fluffhead; 12-08-06 at 10:19 AM.
1fluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 10:13 AM   #3
CF4L
Free Loader
 
CF4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: albany.ny.
Bikes: Trash... for serious.
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
those measurement must be in cm. if thats the case, your old steel frame will have no trouble at all "bending" a little to fit the wheels. slide them it, tighten the bolts down and youre good to go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by [165]
I think I have absolutely nothing else to add to this forum ever again.
CF4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 10:17 AM   #4
TheBrick
Tinkerer since 1980
 
TheBrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London
Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it is all steel you should be able so spring the for the 5 mm an dsimiarly the rear the 5 mm by hand no need to cold set or anything.

Note mm = millimeter milli means *10^(-3) so one thousandth of a meter

ml = milli liter one thousandth of a liter the volume measurement 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm
TheBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 02:19 PM   #5
goatboy
Cycleogicaly Disturbed
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK, Lancashire.
Bikes: )>> Orange P7 <<( ?? Dawes ??
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Opps! yes I mean mm not ml. Obviously my typing is not very fluid!
With regards to the rear dropouts i mean that the slot where you slide the axel is 11mm not the space between the dropouts. I had the frame powdercoated and think that it has added a couple of mil to the surface of the dropout ether that of the axel is to thick. Thanks for your advice.
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 02:27 PM   #6
CF4L
Free Loader
 
CF4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: albany.ny.
Bikes: Trash... for serious.
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if the axle is too thick, get a flat bastard file and open up the slot a little. If there is a "thicker side" (meaning top or bottom) try to remove more material from there. I think you are trying to say that the axle fit before you p-coat, and if thats the case, you will have very little work to do. 60's lugs should be plenty beefy enough to remove a little material and still be totally strong enough. I had to do this on my old Raleight and never had a problem.

use a dremel if you're feeling lazy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by [165]
I think I have absolutely nothing else to add to this forum ever again.
CF4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 02:45 PM   #7
goatboy
Cycleogicaly Disturbed
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK, Lancashire.
Bikes: )>> Orange P7 <<( ?? Dawes ??
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF4L
if the axle is too thick, get a flat bastard file and open up the slot a little. If there is a "thicker side" (meaning top or bottom) try to remove more material from there. I think you are trying to say that the axle fit before you p-coat, and if thats the case, you will have very little work to do. 60's lugs should be plenty beefy enough to remove a little material and still be totally strong enough. I had to do this on my old Raleight and never had a problem.

use a dremel if you're feeling lazy.
Thanks
Dont know if axel fited before powdercoat as didnt have the wheels then. Will take a file to the dropouts.
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 03:50 PM   #8
phoenix
blah blah blah
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes: too many
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF4L
your old steel frame will have no trouble at all "bending" a little to fit the wheels
The beauty of steel!
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 PM.