Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-06, 02:20 PM   #1
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
Thread Starter
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
105 BB vs Pista Stock BB

Ive been riding only my bianchi pista for the past 3 months, and yesterday got out
the panasonic and noticed it rides a lot faster. The gearing is almost identical.

Could my Shimano 105 BB in the panasonic allow less pedal rotational resistance than
whatever is stock for the pista BB?
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 02:27 PM   #2
tt1106
Senior Member
 
tt1106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there other differences? Frame weight? Tires, wheels...etc?
I doubt if BB differences would make it noticeably faster unless there were problems. Are both sealed bearing units?
tt1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 02:32 PM   #3
colnago57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Savage Germanic Cults of Saskatchewan
Bikes:
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you still riding the stock wheels? I know on my Pista, the bearings in the stock Bianchi hubs spun like they were filled with glue. Not that good for meeting deadlines but works for resistance training.
colnago57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 02:37 PM   #4
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
Thread Starter
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same tires on both, 20yr old 105 wheel and so-so mavic rear wheel on the pista.
36spoke Vs on the panasonic. IRO rear hub, Shimano Deore front hub. The Panasonic is 1lb heavier too.

Im just trying to identify some possible component advantage that I can reproduce if neccessary.
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 02:42 PM   #5
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
unless you repacked the bearings with loctite bearing resistance is never going to result in a bike "riding a lot faster." The fact that the gearing is only almost identical outweighs it. The difference is probably in rider position or your head.
dutret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 02:43 PM   #6
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
Thread Starter
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maybe I was excited to get my #1 bike back.
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 02:51 PM   #7
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne
Ive been riding only my bianchi pista for the past 3 months, and yesterday got out
the panasonic and noticed it rides a lot faster. The gearing is almost identical.

Could my Shimano 105 BB in the panasonic allow less pedal rotational resistance than
whatever is stock for the pista BB?
Are you absolutely sure that one bike is really faster than the other? I seruously doubt it, unless one of them has a serious mechanical problem or maladjustment. Minor differences in BB, chain, or hub friction should not cause an overwhealming difference in speed. More likely one bike may feel a little faster due to differences in fit and handling. I have an old fixie conversion that weighs as much as a tank and I also have a much lighter, sleeker and more expensive track bike. They are both geared the same, but everytime I get on the junky conversion I could swear it is faster that my much sleeker track bike. But turns out to be an illusion. My cyclcomputers tell me that I am riding similar speeds on both, and actually tend to travel with a slighlty faster average speed on my track bike.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 03:05 PM   #8
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades
 
Aeroplane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Suburbia, CT
Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
Posts: 5,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutret
unless you repacked the bearings with loctite bearing resistance is never going to result in a bike "riding a lot faster." The fact that the gearing is only almost identical outweighs it. The difference is probably in rider position or your head.
I concur. There was some breakdown of the resistance when riding a bike. Bearing friction was near 1%*, drag from the rider was about 60%*.

* - completely pulling #'s out of my ass, but the point is the same. You save more energy by using your drops than by greasing your bearings.
Aeroplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 03:09 PM   #9
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
Thread Starter
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Are you absolutely sure that one bike is really faster than the other? I seruously doubt it, unless one of them has a serious mechanical problem or maladjustment. Minor differences in BB, chain, or hub friction should not cause an overwhealming difference in speed. More likely one bike may feel a little faster due to differences in fit and handling. I have an old fixie conversion that weighs as much as a tank and I also have a much lighter, sleeker and more expensive track bike. They are both geared the same, but everytime I get on the junky conversion I could swear it is faster that my much sleeker track bike. But turns out to be an illusion. My cyclcomputers tell me that I am riding similar speeds on both, and actually tend to travel with a slighlty faster average speed on my track bike.
Its not an illusion, My computer showed my total time as 1:07 for a hilly 16 mile ride. Ive never been able to do it faster than 1:30 before
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 03:14 PM   #10
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
HMM..maybe its a fit/setup issue. Is it possible that you are too dropped down on your Pista?...that would decrease you ability to sustain power when climbing hills.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-06, 03:15 PM   #11
baxtefer
Cornucopia of Awesomeness
 
baxtefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: not where i used to be
Bikes:
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*nothing* is going to help you gain ~45 sec/mile
except maybe a miscalibrated computer. Are you sure the difference is not in total elapsed time vs. time spent in motion?
baxtefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 PM.