Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,974
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Silly Idea: Quick adjust handlebar height

    I use bullhorns and sometimes have the hairbrained idea that it would be nice if I could adjust their height quickly and without tools, even while riding, like when turning into a very stiff headwind or for a very high position for a casual cruise.

    Something like a lever than can be pulled by both hands while at center most position of top of bars, that releases ratchet so the linearly adjustable vertical part of the stem (inside the steerer) can be slid up and down, say with 4" or so of travel. It would be keyed so no rotation would be possible.

    Obvious cons: Accidental release, added weight, added complexity, potential lost stiffness

    And yes standard drop bars 'solve' this need without any added complexity.

    Sure its easy to argue why a silly idea, but I wanted to share anyway. Maybe its even been tried, but I couldn't find anything with a quick internet search.

    Al

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmmmmmmmm It's amazing something so simple hasn't been though of before and posted about right here.

  3. #3
    hateful little monkey jim-bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    oakland, ca
    Posts
    5,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this freakish idea involving a 9/8" threadless setup, a seat collar to hold the headset at the proper tension, some kind of QR on the stem, and an old hite-rite.

    Get it out of my head, please.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mezza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    On the intramaweb thing.
    My Bikes
    Steel geared. Steel Fix.
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noisebeam
    Sure its easy to argue why a silly idea, but I wanted to share anyway.
    I don't think its a silly idea at all. In fact, its pretty good. I'd like to be able to do that on my bullhorned fix.
    Do you own or run a small/medium business in Australia?
    Grow your business GUARANTEED* www.jumpglobal.com.au

  5. #5
    Strange As Angels Fixxxie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sketchy at best IMHO, too many chances for something to slip in one of the most undesireable places to have something slip

  6. #6
    Bow$$ dustinlikewhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bodymore, Murderland
    My Bikes
    Surly Instigator '02, Schwinn Traveler fixed conversion, '02 Fuji Track
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just do what some tourers do, put a set of drops or bull horns close to the headset, and put another set of bars higher up.

  7. #7
    or tarckeemoon, depending marqueemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    the pesto of cities
    My Bikes
    Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
    Posts
    7,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mod a Softride stem.


  8. #8
    Walks with a limp dijos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a good time to remind everyone that when they adjust their stem/handlebars, make sure you tighten them, unlike me.
    I am looking for a 52cm-ish lugged mixte or ladies frame. Pm if you got one.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebristolkid
    Last I checked, most college campuses were firmly attached to solid earth, which, in my experience, is typically adequate for riding a bicycle upon.

  9. #9
    laterally compliant keevohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim-bob
    I have this freakish idea involving a 9/8" threadless setup, a seat collar to hold the headset at the proper tension, some kind of QR on the stem, and an old hite-rite.

    Get it out of my head, please.
    '9/8" threadless'... I think I'll start using that.

    In a similar vein, why not replace the normal seat collar with a QR seat collar? Instant, on the fly headset adjustment!

  10. #10
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=249435

    somebody had to do it.

    No offense, but running bullhorns and complaining about lack of different positions is like riding FG and complaining about not being able to coast or shift.
    "I don't buy new frames, it just encourages them."

    -T.G.

  11. #11
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,974
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Landgolier
    No offense, but running bullhorns and complaining about lack of different positions is like riding FG and complaining about not being able to coast or shift.
    Who is complaining?
    Al

  12. #12
    Traffic Frightener. Rusty Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because it's a bad idea is really no reason not to try it. That's how people learn without the luxury of internet forums.

    This kind of reminds me of the time I tried to make a 54cm frame fit me when I need a 60 cm. It involved a long stem and a pair of hi rise bmx bars installed horizontally. It was so stupid. However it did force me to think for myself and ride a whole season where the easiest 'right' choice would have been to get a proper frame, which involved no personal creativity and cost money.

    So anyway, there's more than one way to do things. I'd rather hear from someone who was running fixed gear and complaining about not being able to coast or shift and actually tried to do something about it, rather than someone who was told it was impossible and accepted it and gave up.
    Unsafe at Any Speed.

  13. #13
    Senior Member sers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salem, MA
    My Bikes
    Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1
    Posts
    2,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noisebeam
    I use bullhorns and sometimes have the hairbrained idea that it would be nice if I could adjust their height quickly and without tools, even while riding, like when turning into a very stiff headwind or for a very high position for a casual cruise.

    Something like a lever than can be pulled by both hands while at center most position of top of bars, that releases ratchet so the linearly adjustable vertical part of the stem (inside the steerer) can be slid up and down, say with 4" or so of travel. It would be keyed so no rotation would be possible.

    Obvious cons: Accidental release, added weight, added complexity, potential lost stiffness

    And yes standard drop bars 'solve' this need without any added complexity.

    Sure its easy to argue why a silly idea, but I wanted to share anyway. Maybe its even been tried, but I couldn't find anything with a quick internet search.

    Al
    how about something that works like a pneumatic office chair. pull the lever and let the bars rise slowly, or push down to lower them. a few carefully placed speed holes® and you're in business.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •