Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rear axle spacing

    Hi guys,

    I bought some wheels for my fixed gear project that were spaced for 120mm, but the axle was long enough to space out to 130mm (my rear spacing). I was wondering if you would recommend buying an extra set of track nuts to achieve this, or if you could recommend another product that would work better. Are "axle spacers" different from locknuts, because I can't seem to find axle spacers at any cycling store online.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    otherwiseordinary lymbzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sexyluigi21
    Hi guys,

    I bought some wheels for my fixed gear project that were spaced for 120mm, but the axle was long enough to space out to 130mm (my rear spacing). I was wondering if you would recommend buying an extra set of track nuts to achieve this, or if you could recommend another product that would work better. Are "axle spacers" different from locknuts, because I can't seem to find axle spacers at any cycling store online.

    Thanks for your help!
    From what I can tell, all you need is some axle spacers (washers).
    You place them between the cone and the outter (existing) axle nut.
    5mm on each side.

  3. #3
    antisocialite dirtyphotons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    axle spacers are different from locknuts (which go inside the dropout) and track nuts(which you tighten from the outside). appropriately sized washers work fine as axle spacers, just make sure your locknuts are screwed on tight or you might snap em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    Because when fashion conflicts with function, I vote for function.

  4. #4
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Axle spacers here.

  5. #5
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My LBS has 1-5mm axle spacers for $.25-$1/ea. Check a local shop.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info...now I understand!

  7. #7
    Taking "s" outta "Fast" AfterThisNap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zoo York City
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't. Are you trying to stuff the wheel into a 120mm spaced frame? If so, just cut off the offending axle ends if they bother you.
    Carries suspicious allegiance to Brooklyn Machine Works.

  8. #8
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterThisNap
    I don't. Are you trying to stuff the wheel into a 120mm spaced frame? If so, just cut off the offending axle ends if they bother you.
    Wheels are 120, with a long enough axle to space to 130. Frame is 130. OP needs spacers to make up the difference.

  9. #9
    Taking "s" outta "Fast" AfterThisNap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Zoo York City
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonFixed
    Wheels are 120, with a long enough axle to space to 130. Frame is 130. OP needs spacers to make up the difference.
    Doh, I missed that. Need to sleeeeeeep more.
    Carries suspicious allegiance to Brooklyn Machine Works.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •