Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    1)steel frame road bike, Ultegra components. 2)Mercier Kilo TT. Cannondale Caad 9-5
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    inexpensive crank advice?

    I currently have the stock touro crank that came on my mercier kilo. I immediately upgraded the wheelset to Iro and I've put about 4000 miles on it since I bought it 10 months ago. The crankset has a lot of flex to it, but I don't have much money right now. So if I do upgrade, I can't spend much. Would an inexpensive crankset such as a sugino rd or a crankset from bulletproof be that much better than the touro crankset I have now. Also, because of mileage, which will likely last longer? Thanks for the advice.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the frame probably has even more flex in it.

  3. #3
    Cornucopia of Awesomeness baxtefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    not where i used to be
    Posts
    4,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RD/Bulletproofs aren't upgrades. more like lateral moves, or even downgrades.
    {o,o**
    |)__)
    -"-"-

    O RLY?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "inexpensive crank advice?" hell, here's some free advice about crank.

    DON'T ****ING DO IT.




    you're welcome.

  5. #5
    Senior Member crankstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    save for new miche cranks you can get em for like 150 with a ring i think. great deal

  6. #6
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    the frame probably has even more flex in it.
    Dutret is right. Most likely any flex you feel is from your frame, or maybe even your wheels. I'd rather learn to live with it than get a placebo cure for $150+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  7. #7
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Dutret is right. Most likely any flex you feel is from your frame, or maybe even your wheels. I'd rather learn to live with it than get a placebo cure for $150+.
    +9 dragons
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  8. #8
    perspective distorts killsurfcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    25th and Girard
    Posts
    1,346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is flex so bad? to me it sounds a lot like comfort.
    the sound of life

    "I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry." - John Cage

  9. #9
    live free or die trying humancongereel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    where i lay my head is home.
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion
    Posts
    6,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    less power, less speed.
    have:ea50 flats, black, light, stiff.
    144 bcd 3/32" 49t sugino track chainring, possibly 75.

    want: risers, light, stiff, 1", black if that can be
    144 bcd 46t or 47t chainring any kind or width

  10. #10
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on frame flex. Probably right around your BB. Cheap cranks can be had on EBay for nothing. I have a Shimano 600 on my fixie with a Rocket Ring.

  11. #11
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anything wrong with using MTB-specific cranks for a road fixed? The only difference is that MTB cranks usually have 4 arms on the spider and road and track cranks have 5 arms. Does this mean MTB cranks are not as stiff in general?

  12. #12
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suginos are pretty good and low priced

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Van BC
    Posts
    3,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the deal with 600s? Are they considered especially flexy? I have 600 170's on my bike and have never once thought "Jeez these cranks flex a lot".

  14. #14
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    Is there anything wrong with using MTB-specific cranks for a road fixed? The only difference is that MTB cranks usually have 4 arms on the spider and road and track cranks have 5 arms. Does this mean MTB cranks are not as stiff in general?
    Some MTB cranks have 5 arms, but they are 94 BCD instead of the 4-arm 104 BCD. But the main reason they don't get used for track stuff (IMHO) is because they tend to be overbuilt. Mountain bikes get abused a lot more than track bikes, so the cranks have to be moderately stiff AND super-strong.

    Also, the chainrings in those BCD's rarely go past 44 or 46t, so you'd need some tiny-ass cogs for them to be usable by the monsters with basketball-sized quads. It's also hard to find unramped chainrings in those BCDs too. Since my quads are normal-sized, I used some on a conversion for a while and they worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  15. #15
    raodmaster shaman
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    G-ville
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Some MTB cranks have 5 arms, but they are 94 BCD instead of the 4-arm 104 BCD. But the main reason they don't get used for track stuff (IMHO) is because they tend to be overbuilt. Mountain bikes get abused a lot more than track bikes, so the cranks have to be moderately stiff AND super-strong.

    Also, the chainrings in those BCD's rarely go past 44 or 46t, so you'd need some tiny-ass cogs for them to be usable by the monsters with basketball-sized quads. It's also hard to find unramped chainrings in those BCDs too. Since my quads are normal-sized, I used some on a conversion for a while and they worked fine.

    im using a mountain bike triple on my single speed (an old sake crankset, but i also used a shimano). i think its 104 5 bolt, either way i have 46,48, and 52 rings that all fit it, no pins or ramps either. so they are out there.

    123mm bb and using the back of the spider gives a perfect chainline.
    it a little hokey but it works great.

  16. #16
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 600s are 172.5, otherwise known as "so long, the toe overlap is unbelievable", but I've never had any flex issues. But they sure were cheap! $20.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •