Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-07, 09:35 AM   #1
teiaperigosa
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
teiaperigosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 40th, up in the 30th
Bikes:
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pick a roadie, any roadie...

burn 'em, and burn 'em hard...just because
central park...saturday, sunday mornings are perfect pickings...
no, you don't know whether he's done 40 miles before you come up on him or he came upon you, and no he doesn't know whether you've spent 40+ hours working on your bike all week....
it doesn't matter. sometimes you get that feeling, so you take off after them to see what they've got at that moment...that's the point...no links to where yall coming from, and no links to where yall are going, so...burn that roadie (or at least try to)...let 'em bite, they often do....give em the bait....dust him up a hill, and just when he thought he could freewheel on you, lose him on the next one.... look back to let him know that he can't hold you, and dance with a swagger out of the saddle once you have finally taken his heart... let 'em know to step up his game on that 20 speed, cause this single speed don't play... if you turn off, dust first, don't let him see you... if you go straight....don't let him touch you...pick a roadie, any roadie....and have some fun
teiaperigosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 09:39 AM   #2
Jesse M
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: out and on the parkway
Bikes:
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
please refer to this:
Cycle Snobbery
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 09:50 AM   #3
filtersweep
Senior Member
 
filtersweep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thinking about biking in Central Park sounds depressing--- do "real roadies" bike there? Do they even live "in the city"? Just saying...
filtersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 10:31 AM   #4
dirtyphotons
antisocialite
 
dirtyphotons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's so sexual!
dirtyphotons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 10:34 AM   #5
evanyc
i believe in me
 
evanyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes:
Posts: 2,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
snooooooooooooooooooooze
evanyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 10:52 AM   #6
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung
 
bonechilling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanyc
snooooooooooooooooooooze
You left about 88383488934 o's out of that!
bonechilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 10:56 AM   #7
kyle!
what.
 
kyle!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SD, CA, USA
Bikes: raleigh rush hour
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kyle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 10:57 AM   #8
EuroJosh
 
EuroJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes: Rossin Track Bike,Canondale Track, RB-1, Ridley Crossbow, Felt Breed, Felt Sector 24
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pick me! pick me!
EuroJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 11:35 AM   #9
isotopesope
shoot up or shut up.
 
isotopesope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: colorado springs, co
Bikes: yes please.
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
look out roadies! possenger fly-by's coming!!
isotopesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 12:59 PM   #10
Telix
Weekend warrior
 
Telix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be interested to see what happens if the next bicycle purist fad involves vintage road bikes with 10 speeds, and posters start talking about the glory of gears and how they burned a fixer. Or maybe unicycles talking about the purity of one wheel riding and the direct connection with the road they have.

Bicycle elitism is for idiots.
Telix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 01:49 PM   #11
Telix
Weekend warrior
 
Telix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman
Of course elitism is for idiots. I'm no elitist ... I'll wave to, talk to, ride with ... anybody on a bike.
Even fat people in spandex. There's nothing wrong with taking a little guilty pleasure in dropping someone with 9+ more gears than you have though.
-Weldman
Not hating on you, Weldman, but you don't need to sign your posts. We can see you made the post!
Telix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 02:06 PM   #12
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Bikes: 2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiaperigosa
burn 'em, and burn 'em hard...just because
central park...saturday, sunday mornings are perfect pickings...
no, you don't know whether he's done 40 miles before you come up on him or he came upon you, and no he doesn't know whether you've spent 40+ hours working on your bike all week....
it doesn't matter. sometimes you get that feeling, so you take off after them to see what they've got at that moment...that's the point...no links to where yall coming from, and no links to where yall are going, so...burn that roadie (or at least try to)...let 'em bite, they often do....give em the bait....dust him up a hill, and just when he thought he could freewheel on you, lose him on the next one.... look back to let him know that he can't hold you, and dance with a swagger out of the saddle once you have finally taken his heart... let 'em know to step up his game on that 20 speed, cause this single speed don't play... if you turn off, dust first, don't let him see you... if you go straight....don't let him touch you...pick a roadie, any roadie....and have some fun
Why do you spend 40 hours working on your bike? What's wrong with it?
Johnny_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 02:09 PM   #13
blickblocks
.
 
blickblocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Monkey
Why do you spend 40 hours working on your bike? What's wrong with it?
__________________
http://blicksbags.com/
blickblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 02:15 PM   #14
teiaperigosa
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
teiaperigosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 40th, up in the 30th
Bikes:
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telix
Not hating on you, Weldman, but you don't need to sign your posts. We can see you made the post!
let the man write his name as much as he wants....at least he's not posting his picture on every post anymore

weldman, you feel me tho...some of these cats must be old and/or plain...lost that itch, that twitch, that frogish, leapish fire... 's all in the joy of pushing and testing oneself...no elitism/no hatred...again, no one is saying anyone is better...'s pure gulliness...shiet... smile at the dude and wish him well after you try and HE drops YOU, or give him the thumbs up after you bait, he bites, and you burn his asss...

chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup, with a soda on the side.....
let's get it, let's get it, let's get it, let's get it...

go get it
teiaperigosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 02:15 PM   #15
Telix
Weekend warrior
 
Telix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickblocks
Seriously, though, what would possibly take 40 hours? I took my entire vintage road bike apart, cleaned it completely, polished the wheels, changed the tires, serviced the BB, etc, and I don't think I took me more than 15 hours.
Telix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 02:30 PM   #16
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer
 
lubes17319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakehood, CO
Bikes: ...take me places.
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=taken67]image removed
I usually just flip every biker off.
I'm too lame to beat anyone actually riding.
lubes17319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 02:44 PM   #17
evanyc
i believe in me
 
evanyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes:
Posts: 2,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yo teia - you show up for alleycats?
evanyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 03:44 PM   #18
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telix
Not hating on you, Weldman, but you don't need to sign your posts. We can see you made the post!
Tell that to the other million noobies who do it. Like some kind of badge of ego thing.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 03:54 PM   #19
DC_Emily
Headed to the Library...
 
DC_Emily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC
Bikes: 2003 cherry red Bianchi Giro, Quattro Assi Team 2000 Rocket
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this thread was started in jest.
We've gone over the 'smoking a roadie' thing a million times.
Alot of people ride both track bikes and road bikes.
Why there is this need to puff your feathers because you only have one gear is really beyond me.

If y'all are into making this sorry-a$$ comment over and over, fine. but do we need to post it here time and time again?

Excuse me while I go adjust a derailleur.

*sigh*
DC_Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 04:03 PM   #20
jpearl
Rabbinic Authority
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Silver Spring, MD (MABRA/MAC)
Bikes: Cannondale Cyclocross, Specialized Langster, Giant TCR-C2 Composite
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you think dusting roadies on a SS or a FG is fun, wait 'till you dust 'em on a cyclocross bike. Not that I'm out to dust or be dusted, the only time I start scrapping is when a credit-card noobie (otherwise know as a Trek owner) start sucking my wheel while I'm warming up on the way to the trails. They're expecting a free ride on my energy while showing how cool they are 'cuz they can "draft". I pull the Johann Museuw antics on then, flicking my elbow and pointing to the ground next to me. Naturally, that doesn't register with them (due in part to the fact that the credit card never brought 'em an understanding of cycling's unwritten vocabulary with that Madone-esque ride, and also for the fact that they can't name one racer beyond Mr. Armstrong). I'll start riding like the little cyclocross bastard that I am, getting closer and closer to the edge of the path, knowing that my knobbies can take the crap and abuse found there that the slicks behind me can't, then give a last look back, flick my gears, and jump. Not that I'm trying to be a prick or elitist punk, there's no numbers pinned to my jersey or sponsors on my ride, but people getting dusted are those who either can't keep up with the other guy for whatever reason competative or not, or they just deserve a good smacking for wearing an ego or an attitude on thier sleeves.
jpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 04:06 PM   #21
Suburbia
headed for mtb country
 
Suburbia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: new york
Bikes:
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Emily
I hope this thread was started in jest.
We've gone over the 'smoking a roadie' thing a million times.
Alot of people ride both track bikes and road bikes.
Why there is this need to puff your feathers because you only have one gear is really beyond me.

If y'all are into making this sorry-a$$ comment over and over, fine. but do we need to post it here time and time again?

Excuse me while I go adjust a derailleur.

*sigh*
glad i'm not the only one here who rides more than one kind of bike.
fixed for commuting and casual riding, cyclocross bike for road rides and fall cross races, and the mountain bike for playtime in the woods. if you tried to burn me with your "fixed-gear pride" on a road ride i'd probably just chuckle and ride past you, only to buy you a beer later. why not just give them credit for getting their kicks on two wheels as well?
Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 04:21 PM   #22
danimal
bike parking is free
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: denver
Bikes: a road bike, a cross bike, and a track bike
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiaperigosa
...some of these cats must be old and/or plain...lost that itch, that twitch, that frogish, leapish fire... 's all in the joy of pushing and testing oneself...
-do you ride anything besides a track bike? as was posted earlier, do you show up for alleycats?

if the 'thrill' of dropping a stranger on the bunny-hill in central park is what does if for you then hell, more power to ya...if not, why not try on some gears and actually enter a road/cross/mtb race (you know, the kind where people are actually competing)
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 04:23 PM   #23
Johnny_Monkey
Studs Terkel
 
Johnny_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Bikes: 2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
Posts: 8,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearl
If you think dusting roadies on a SS or a FG is fun, wait 'till you dust 'em on a cyclocross bike. Not that I'm out to dust or be dusted, the only time I start scrapping is when a credit-card noobie (otherwise know as a Trek owner) start sucking my wheel while I'm warming up on the way to the trails. They're expecting a free ride on my energy while showing how cool they are 'cuz they can "draft". I pull the Johann Museuw antics on then, flicking my elbow and pointing to the ground next to me. Naturally, that doesn't register with them (due in part to the fact that the credit card never brought 'em an understanding of cycling's unwritten vocabulary with that Madone-esque ride, and also for the fact that they can't name one racer beyond Mr. Armstrong). I'll start riding like the little cyclocross bastard that I am, getting closer and closer to the edge of the path, knowing that my knobbies can take the crap and abuse found there that the slicks behind me can't, then give a last look back, flick my gears, and jump. Not that I'm trying to be a prick or elitist punk, there's no numbers pinned to my jersey or sponsors on my ride, but people getting dusted are those who either can't keep up with the other guy for whatever reason competative or not, or they just deserve a good smacking for wearing an ego or an attitude on thier sleeves.
How many watts do you crank out when your dusting someone? Do you go up to 400?
Johnny_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 04:24 PM   #24
Hawk Wheels
Oh Hell Yes
 
Hawk Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York City
Bikes:
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
teia posts are some of my favorites.

STAY GOLD!
__________________
http://cyclehawk.com/ http://www.nybmf.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafLamb
if "real messengers" aren't carrying packages, they fill their bags with bricks. Hardcore.
Hawk Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 04:26 PM   #25
Smorgasgeorge
pompous windbag
 
Smorgasgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Philly
Bikes:
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you pass a roadie, odds are they are just in a low gear. I get smoked by the hardcore riders even on a geared bike.

Now if I ever get passed by a recumbent, I will kill myself.
Smorgasgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 PM.