Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes: schwinn suburban conversion with chopped risers LOLZ!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boring Content: The Carson Velo Swap
I thought some of you might be interested in the Carson Velo Swap that occurred today at the ADT Home Depot Center Velodrome. I cruised out their with my buddy/ bike nerd equal Conor (joy&revolution). As many of you know, the World Cup Series race was held there a couple of weeks ago. See trackosaurus for some pics.
So what was I expecting to do there? Basically, I brought $300. I hoped to walk away with a frame or a bulging huge bag full of stuff. I could have done that at the King's Cycle Swap that was held many months ago. Boy was I wrong! It seems the eBay culture has spread information such that everyone is on equal grounds with knowing what things are worth (i.e. what they'll fetch on eBay). I'm not innocent; I sell track and road stuff on eBay at inflated costs too. The crowd consisted of hip street trackers and crusty old collectors.
However, there were deals to be had. This is what I found:
1) 1 set of Campy C Record track pedals with clips. Nearly perfect condition.
2) NOS set of white Campy leather straps with Cinelli buttons.
3) 3 sets of well used white leather straps: 1 Binda, 1 Campy, 1 Pinarello labelled by another brand. All had buttons. All used but not so much that the leather cracks upon twisting or pulling.
4) 3 cycling caps: 2 Tufo, 1 Helen's Cycles (I worked at Helen's for a year and a half and learned everything I know there, so this was sentimental)
5) A roached Cinelli LA 84' bullhorn bar. Purchase was prompted by the recent discussion here on drops vs. bullhorns. Probably an unwise purchase considering the condition.
6) a used Silca pista floor pump. Another unwise purchase because it needs rebuilding.
7) a l/s cycling jersey: Eddy Merckx/ Campagnolo/ Bud Lite. The best find.
8) a used set of Time ATAC Aliums.
Including admission, I spent about $190 on these items.
Who was there? Pro skateboarder Chad Tim Tim (super nice guy), Juvi, my buddy Scott who rides more than anyone I know on his nerdy Dave Moulton Fuso, Meagan who was racing on her amazing self-built-at-Yamaguchi unpainted track bike with gold Nitto components, some cool folks from King's and Orange 20, and Crazy Tony from Chicago Bike who was buying up a storm. Tony is a story for another time...
Last edited by endo shi; 01-28-07 at 08:01 PM.