Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member BeantownFixed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rosi
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX 10, Specialized Allez
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How often is too often to break a chain?

    Is there are risk to chain integrity of repeatedly adding/removing link? I have been dicking aorund with different chain ring cog combos and it's required a few chain length resizes. Any info on this?
    Science is like a blabbermouth that ruins the ending to a movie. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things - Ned Flanders

    Velospace

  2. #2
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    similar question: keep breaking the same link, or different links each time?
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  3. #3
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The major danger is that you mess up reinstalling the pin one of those times.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownFixed
    Is there are risk to chain integrity of repeatedly adding/removing link? I have been dicking aorund with different chain ring cog combos and it's required a few chain length resizes. Any info on this?
    buy a new chain. Chains are cheap and broken chains suck.

  5. #5
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    buy a new chain. Chains are cheap and broken chains suck.
    That is what I do. The SRAM PC-1 can be had for $10.

  6. #6
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dutret i think you and the OP are using "broken" differently. i think you mean broken like damaged, but i think the OP just means, having removed the pins to lengthen/shorten it - repeatedly.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right and the latter leads to the former.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so how many breaks would be acceptable before needing to replace? through the life of a chain, i typically break it 5-6 times to clean it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BeantownFixed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rosi
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX 10, Specialized Allez
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harryhood
    so how many breaks would be acceptable before needing to replace? through the life of a chain, i typically break it 5-6 times to clean it.
    good point
    Science is like a blabbermouth that ruins the ending to a movie. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things - Ned Flanders

    Velospace

  10. #10
    Senior Member BeantownFixed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rosi
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX 10, Specialized Allez
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barba
    The major danger is that you mess up reinstalling the pin one of those times.
    Whats a common screw up?? It seems straight forward
    Science is like a blabbermouth that ruins the ending to a movie. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things - Ned Flanders

    Velospace

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harryhood
    so how many breaks would be acceptable before needing to replace? through the life of a chain, i typically break it 5-6 times to clean it.

    Every rejoin increases the chances of your chain breaking at what point that risk becomes unacceptable is up to you.
    a. It wears down the pins. If it was a chain that came with a masterlink or special pin one rejoin is probably too much.
    b. There is a reasonable chance that even an experienced mechanic will mess up. This will create a weak link.
    -you can not push the pin through the opposite plate fat enough
    -you can push the pin too far though the plate you leave the pin in
    -you can compress the plates together
    etc.

  12. #12
    ....
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the time if you put a new link in and that link gets put in too "tight", (aka the links are squeezed too hard for whatever reason). The link will loosen itself when ridden, This could mean the pin seating itself properly or being pushed out to loosen.

  13. #13
    blah onetwentyeight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    5,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a worn chain looks like this



    when its settling in as its getting ridden, its deffinately worsening whats going on with the pin.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Rattlebag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    Yes please
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people not like masterlinks?

  15. #15
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,342
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you people act as if you are pushing all of your equipment to the absolute limits everytime you pedal around the block. If you brake (disconnect a link) a chain 5-6 times during the life of that chain, you probably aren't going to push out the same pin twice, and even then its not going to cause the pin to weaken or cause it to fall out. When riding, the chain experiences tension folks, especially singlespeeds with perfect chainline. The chain pins require very high lateral pressure to remove them, not tension. Just reinstall the pin correctly and you'll be fine. Its not that hard...just make sure both ends of the pin are sticking out of the link. If you are worried about it, inspect your chain occasionally to make sure all of the pins are in securely.

  16. #16
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,342
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebag
    Why do people not like masterlinks?
    There is a perpetuated myth on this forum that masterlinks will fail and kill you. If that were true, there would be a lot of law suits. The masterlink on a KMC chain is held together with a flimsy little clip and it holds just fine..like all masterlinks, it is uneffected by tension, the only significant force thats exerted on a chain.
    On the other hand the nut and bolt type masterlink on izumi chains bothers me...it seems like vibration might loosen it, but thats probably just paranoia on my part.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Rattlebag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    Yes please
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach
    Some of you people act as if you are pushing all of your equipment to the absolute limits everytime you pedal around the block. If you brake (disconnect a link) a chain 5-6 times during the life of that chain, you probably aren't going to push out the same pin twice, and even then its not going to cause the pin to weaken or cause it to fall out.
    I think this forum needs a sticky with instructions for when to use "brake" and when to use "break"

  18. #18
    Senior Member Rattlebag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    Yes please
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mihlbach, pretty much what I thought. Sorry I picked on your spelling

  19. #19
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,342
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebag
    Cheers mihlbach, pretty much what I thought. Sorry I picked on your spelling
    Damn! I can't believe I made that mistake, because I normally am careful about brake and break. My excuse is that I'm really busy at work right now and was thinking and typing too fast.

  20. #20
    na975
    Guest
    drop $60. on a izumi v, like to see ya break this.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by na975
    drop $60. on a izumi v, like to see ya break this.

    seeing as chains almost always break because of improper installation or actute abuse(chain suck) I doubt a izumi v is that much less likely to break then anything else.

  22. #22
    Paste Taster Retem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver, Co
    My Bikes
    1970's kobe, Jury Bike, Dahon Boardwalk S1, Moto Outcast 29, Scrambler v3
    Posts
    4,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach
    There is a perpetuated myth on this forum that masterlinks will fail and kill you. If that were true, there would be a lot of law suits. The masterlink on a KMC chain is held together with a flimsy little clip and it holds just fine..like all masterlinks, it is uneffected by tension, the only significant force thats exerted on a chain.
    On the other hand the nut and bolt type masterlink on izumi chains bothers me...it seems like vibration might loosen it, but thats probably just paranoia on my part.
    I ride on kmc z chains because they are 6 bucks buy a new chain every 3 - 6 months if you ride hard and crazy also why would you break the chain to clean the drive train use the degreaser and brushes like you are supposed to

    no to maste rlinks I have had several fail on me when I used to jumop bmx bike that is why I don't like them you mash the pedals realy hard and you stretch the thing apart the clip clies off and if your lucky you don't land on your face
    I am dyslexic so bear with my posts.... [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chain is not a Slinky. It dosen't stretch under load unless you measure down to the billionths of an inch (I'm not even sure if it does at that level either) I don't care how hard you think you pedal. The links will not pull apart and allow the masterlink to mysteriously lose tension and fall apart while you are apply force at the "superhuman" level. Chain stretch is not chain stretch but chain wear, on the pins, over time.

  24. #24
    Gone, but not forgotten Shiznaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
    Posts
    4,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach
    There is a perpetuated myth on this forum that masterlinks will fail and kill you. If that were true, there would be a lot of law suits. The masterlink on a KMC chain is held together with a flimsy little clip and it holds just fine..like all masterlinks, it is uneffected by tension, the only significant force thats exerted on a chain.
    On the other hand the nut and bolt type masterlink on izumi chains bothers me...it seems like vibration might loosen it, but thats probably just paranoia on my part.
    I've had nothing but bad luck with the clip style master link. Probably had them fail 3-4 times before I stopped using them. I highly doubt I installed it improperly as its an incredibly simple snap together system. Am I perpetuating a myth? As much as you are basically.

  25. #25
    Paste Taster Retem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver, Co
    My Bikes
    1970's kobe, Jury Bike, Dahon Boardwalk S1, Moto Outcast 29, Scrambler v3
    Posts
    4,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent1
    The chain is not a Slinky. It dosen't stretch under load unless you measure down to the billionths of an inch (I'm not even sure if it does at that level either) I don't care how hard you think you pedal. The links will not pull apart and allow the masterlink to mysteriously lose tension and fall apart while you are apply force at the "superhuman" level. Chain stretch is not chain stretch but chain wear, on the pins, over time.
    how much do you weigh and how much is your leg press??
    I am dyslexic so bear with my posts.... [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •