Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member erikvonb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fixed/single MTB in Canada?

    Hey guys,

    I've been riding a fixed road bike for the last year and and half and am completely hooked. So much so that my other bikes get about 5% of their normal usage. I'm looking into getting myself a singlespeed MTB to add to the fleet. The problem is that I can't seem to find many affordable options. I'm not looking at getting a race-ready bike, just something I can have a little fun on. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look in Canada?

    I'm totally open to buying from the US, but in the past, duties taxes and brokerage fees always tend to remove the benefit.

    -Erik

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    monocog

  3. #3
    Senior Member erikvonb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutret
    monocog
    I'll look into them, Thanks.

  4. #4
    Gone, but not forgotten Shiznaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
    Posts
    4,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the monocog is a Redline bike.

    The Kona Unit is also an option. I'm not sure if they make any off the peg fixed MTBs though.

  5. #5
    Yup pyze-guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
    My Bikes
    C-dale Bad Boy, Fixed Wheeler MTB
    Posts
    3,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erikvonb
    Hey guys,

    I've been riding a fixed road bike for the last year and and half and am completely hooked. So much so that my other bikes get about 5% of their normal usage. I'm looking into getting myself a singlespeed MTB to add to the fleet. The problem is that I can't seem to find many affordable options. I'm not looking at getting a race-ready bike, just something I can have a little fun on. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look in Canada?

    I'm totally open to buying from the US, but in the past, duties taxes and brokerage fees always tend to remove the benefit.

    -Erik
    Don't know what you mean by reasonable but if Iwas going to buy a s/s mtb, I would seriously consider the Mia from IRO. The 20' frame and fork is on sale for $150 as well.

    Other option is do a conversion. Easy and cheap to do. I've done 3 so far. Halflinks for chains are great instead of chain tensioners as well. Checkout Sheldon Brown for ideas. Helped me with my first one. For tooling around town I would go this route.

    On the top end there is always Misfit Psycles outside Toronto. Nice stuff but pricy.

    Bianchi, Kona, Monocog all have s/s as well.
    When sadness fills my days
    It's time to turn away
    And then tomorrow's dreams
    Become reality to me

  6. #6
    Don't smoke, Mike. shapelike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy
    Posts
    3,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamis makes a couple singlespeeds. Haro also makes one ... Bianchi makes a few but distribution in Canada is ****.

  7. #7
    Yup pyze-guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
    My Bikes
    C-dale Bad Boy, Fixed Wheeler MTB
    Posts
    3,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiznaz
    the monocog is a Redline bike.

    The Kona Unit is also an option. I'm not sure if they make any off the peg fixed MTBs though.
    Don't know if anyone does an off the rack fixed mtb. S/S for sure. Kona smoke conversion perhaps?
    When sadness fills my days
    It's time to turn away
    And then tomorrow's dreams
    Become reality to me

  8. #8
    Gone, but not forgotten Shiznaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100
    Posts
    4,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyze-guy
    Don't know if anyone does an off the rack fixed mtb. S/S for sure. Kona smoke conversion perhaps?
    Smoke has vertical dropouts so thats a no-go for fixed. By 'They' I didn't mean Kona, more like 'they' are 'out to get me' as it were.

  9. #9
    Senior Member erikvonb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyze-guy
    Don't know what you mean by reasonable but if Iwas going to buy a s/s mtb, I would seriously consider the Mia from IRO. The 20' frame and fork is on sale for $150 as well.
    Where have you seen the frame for this price?

  10. #10
    Spy Member sweep242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    k-town,On,Can.
    My Bikes
    I have 4 of them,2 with fat tires & 2 with skinny tires & set of rollers
    Posts
    1,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click the underlined link in pyze-guy's last post. where in Canada are you?

  11. #11
    Senior Member erikvonb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking about the IRO Mia now, but I'm not sold on the Mech disc brakes though. How easy/hard is the rear to adjust? Anyone have any experience?

    -Erik

  12. #12
    I like turtles mascher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    Pink Nightmare (RIP), Kona Smoke fixed conversion, Surly Steamroller, Schwinn hardtail, Raleigh singlespeed mtb conversion (soon to be RIP), Green Road Biest
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misfit Psycles seems to be a Canadian and singletrack obsessed version of IRO insofar as it's a cottage industry and a DIY one-person business, and that's a good thing in my book.

  13. #13
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misfit does 29ers for the most part. Brodie has a bike called the Tryst [http://www.brodiebikes.com/2007/2007_bikes/tryst.php#] with disc brakes and what looks like an eccentric BB. They also have a 1-ball in their clearance section [http://www.brodiebikes.com/2007/onli...clearance.php]. If you want to run FG, you'll need to ditch the disc rotor and bolt on a cog, or maybe Phil makes a disc hub fixed. The IRO Mia deal is only for the 20" models in red I think, but check the site.

    Another option is to build up a rear wheel around an ENO fix/free hub. Then you can stick it in any vertical dropout mtn frame you want. Maybe find an older Stumpjumper HT with canti/V bosses so you don't have to worry about discs so much.

    edit:
    IRO Mia sale: http://irocycle.com/iro/index.php?ma...products_id=60
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  14. #14
    yack
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    richmond va
    My Bikes
    all of them.
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would recommend the iro mia, especially with the awesome deal they have on the frames right now in the bargain section of the website, they only have 20" but yea. its rad, and iro mtn wheels are threaded for fixed. so pick up some of them while you are at the site, and the bike would be coming together easily.
    Looking for 58-60cm Fat City Slim chance (frame, complete whatever) any year.

  15. #15
    Senior Member erikvonb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Another option is to build up a rear wheel around an ENO fix/free hub. Then you can stick it in any vertical dropout mtn frame you want. Maybe find an older Stumpjumper HT with canti/V bosses so you don't have to worry about discs so much.
    I was really thinking about going the ENO route, but started thinking about how much everything would end end costing me. I decided it would be so much cheaper to buy a full bike, like the Mia, than to piece together something. I actually DO have an old Stumpjumper that I've given to my GF, but I'm not so sure she'd be as happy as I would be if I scrapped her drivetrain to make it into a ss/fg...and my bike is out of the question, since it's a full-suspension (Giant NRS 1)

    Keep the suggestions coming.....

    -Erik

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •