Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Front Wheel: Open Pro and what hub?

    I'd like a new front wheel for my FG. Right now I am using a wheel from another bike (24 spoke Bontrager Select) - I'd rather not keep swapping them.

    My FG rear wheel is a silver Surly/Open Pro.

    I'd like a front wheel to match as close as practical/economical - certainly using a Open Pro or equivalent rim

    One option is an off the shelf Ultegra/Open Pro at ~$120

    A perfect match would be a Surly/Open Pro, but this would need to be built, perhaps $190 (per Harris pricing)

    Another choice is the 24 radial Mavic Cosmos for $70, which supposedly uses an Open Pro shaped rim

    What other options are there? $120 premium to get a 'perfect match' but not a 'better' wheel seems a bit steep.

    Al

  2. #2
    aspiring dirtbag commuter max-a-mill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd buy whatever cheap NOS (or lightly used) silver wheel you find on da bay...

    to me aesthetics aren't that important and front wheels are pretty much all the damn same so you might as well not spend too much on it.

    maybe then spend some of the extra money on nice new bearings and races & repack that baby so it's supah-smoov....
    - the revolution will not be motorized -

  3. #3
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your rear hub high or low flange? does matching the hub or the rim matter more? Just get a reference...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  4. #4
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the best hub deal around. Same as your Surly,
    just with a different brand name on it.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html

  5. #5
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Is your rear hub high or low flange? does matching the hub or the rim matter more? Just get a reference...
    Its a Surly hub. Not high flange, not very low like some 'road' hubs.

    Matching the rim is probably significant, but the overall match is more important. I've had mismatched wheels on my FG for the past 3yrs. and just feel the time is right to get a complete 'wheelset' for each bike instead of mixing and matching.

    Al

  6. #6
    Cornucopia of Awesomeness baxtefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    not where i used to be
    Posts
    4,847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonechilling
    Probably the best hub deal around. Same as your Surly,
    just with a different brand name on it.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html

    that is nothing like a surly hub.

    can't go wont with ultegra/OP.
    {o,o**
    |)__)
    -"-"-

    O RLY?

  7. #7
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think rear HF/front LF looks bad at all, but you do and it's your bike. I would use this as an opportunity to build your first wheel, you could get the parts together for $120 or so. Building a front is really easy, and it's a little more forgiving than a rear.
    "I don't buy new frames, it just encourages them."

    -T.G.

  8. #8
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Landgolier
    I don't think rear HF/front LF looks bad at all, but you do and it's your bike. I would use this as an opportunity to build your first wheel, you could get the parts together for $120 or so. Building a front is really easy, and it's a little more forgiving than a rear.
    Actually I don't care about mixing HF/LF. Thats why I'm considering the ultregra/OP wheel.
    Al

  9. #9
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say go for the Ultegra-OP. 105-OP wheels can be had for around $80, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  10. #10
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    105-OP wheels can be had for around $80, too.
    That would be excellent too. All I can find are 105-OS wheels though. Any leads?
    Al

  11. #11
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noisebeam
    That would be excellent too. All I can find are 105-OS wheels though. Any leads?
    Al
    My estimation was based on a site that is out of stock of them (imagine that) but Performance has them for $110.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...-_-null-_-null

    No longer offered here for $75, jerks.

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=16982

    There are also a few wicked cheap on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  12. #12
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    My estimation was based on a site that is out of stock of them (imagine that) but Performance has them for $110.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...-_-null-_-null

    No longer offered here for $75, jerks.

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=16982

    There are also a few wicked cheap on ebay.
    Funny stuff. I too did a search and found the same no-more $74 deal and performance. I figured for $10 more I might as well get the ultegra hubs version from performance.

    Al

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •