Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Senior Member nixage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Order is in for a new....

    Seven Tsunami Steel with track dropouts.

    I wanted a fixie/single but something I could take on a local off/road trail as well as stay on pavement. In the end I opted to get a custom Seven. Also have the wheels on order: Phil Wood (black), CXP33 (black), Wheelsmith spokes (black), built by Peter White. Entire bike will be black to keep it's simplicity and minimalistic look. I'll post pics when I get it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member nixage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    dutret has a posse ryand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    My Bikes
    IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.
    Posts
    3,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minimalist aesthetic with canti pegs.

    Not that I am anti-cantilever brakes... just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by kemmer View Post
    get drunk, ride a scooter, don't steal your girlfriends bike back, get laid anyway, post about it on the internets.

  4. #4
    Senior Member nixage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryand
    Minimalist aesthetic with canti pegs.

    Not that I am anti-cantilever brakes... just sayin.
    I know. Necessary evil.

  5. #5
    Dismount Run Remount etc. 12XU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Some Latitude and Some Longitude
    My Bikes
    A couple customs and some beaters.
    Posts
    2,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure Tsunami is the model name? I can't find that model under any of the categories on Seven's site.. I know the Axiom comes in a steel version, but that's the only road model that comes in steel. Also, $1,700 bucks for a 3.5lb tigged steel frame? Why, just so you can say you have a Seven? There a ton of small-time custom builders who would do frame and fork for less than that and even some big cats who have some models under that price and with many more extravagant options (lugs, multiple paint options, etc). I guess I just don't get a lot of these boutique semi-production companies (Lightspeed, Merlin, Seven, etc).

  6. #6
    Senior Member nixage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    Are you sure Tsunami is the model name? I can't find that model under any of the categories on Seven's site.. I know the Axiom comes in a steel version, but that's the only road model that comes in steel. Also, $1,700 bucks for a tigged steel frame? Why, just so you can say you have a Seven? There a ton of small-time custom builders who would do frame and fork for less than that and even some big cats who have some models under that price and with many more extravagant options (lugs, multiple paint options, etc). I guess I just don't get a lot of these boutique semi-production companies (Lightspeed, Merlin, Seven, etc).
    Look under cross frames.
    Hmmmm. I have my reasons for going with Seven. No, not because of the name. As a matter of fact I almost had them put black decals on a black frame, but they don't have all black decals so I opted for white borders. Anyway, you could debate this to death. I chose seven because they build quality bikes, have great customer service, do a complete (and I mean completely) custom frame down to the milimeter. And their leadtime is only 8 weeks. If I lived on the west coast and was driving distance from some frame builders I may have chosen differently. But, I'm very happy to have gone with Seven. BTW, I'm getting ready to fork out $3500 for a tigged steel road frame, so $1700 doesn't seem so bad. Don't underestimate steel or tig welding.

  7. #7
    Dismount Run Remount etc. 12XU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Some Latitude and Some Longitude
    My Bikes
    A couple customs and some beaters.
    Posts
    2,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nixage
    Look under cross frames.
    Hmmmm. I have my reasons for going with Seven. No, not because of the name. As a matter of fact I almost had them put black decals on a black frame, but they don't have all black decals so I opted for white borders. Anyway, you could debate this to death. I chose seven because they build quality bikes, have great customer service, do a complete (and I mean completely) custom frame down to the milimeter. And their leadtime is only 8 weeks. If I lived on the west coast and was driving distance from some frame builders I may have chosen differently. But, I'm very happy to have gone with Seven. BTW, I'm getting ready to fork out $3500 for a tigged steel road frame, so $1700 doesn't seem so bad. Don't underestimate steel or tig welding.
    I'm hardly underestimating tig welding or (HA) steel. I ride one tigged and several lugged steel frames. In fact, I don't currently own any aluminum, Ti, or carbon frames. I am, however, calling into question $1,700 for just the frame. My boss rides a Waterford R-33, which has S-3 tubing. The thing is under 2.5 lbs for the frame, so it's light, stiff, compliant all at much less than $3,500 for the frame and fork. All framebuilders putting multi-thousand dollar frames under riders should be doing extensive custom fittings; it's not unique to Seven. Also, a lead time of 8 weeks is a ton of time. Some mid-sized builders with healthy waiting lists can get 'em out in less than a month during peak season. I just feel that a few companies with good marketing departments are overshadowing equally competent builders simply because people are too worried about straying from the big names.

    Edit: I don't mean to disparage your purchase; I've just always wondered how Seven defends their price structure. I know the frame is going to be built straight and will ride wonderfully.
    Last edited by 12XU; 02-21-07 at 10:40 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member nixage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12XU:

    Yes, frame builders should be doing extensive fittings, but....only because they are masters at building frames doesn't mean they know the first thing about fitting. I found seven knows what they are talking about. Their philosophy is that you will ultimately ride the bike so if you want something lower/higher than they'll accomodate you. Am I biased toward seven? No! BTW, most of the 8 weeks are because of paint. Also, I'm a little worried when I hear of custom builders that are spitting out frames with only a couple of guys in the shop. 8 weeks isn't a ton of time. 1 and 2 years are (Vanilla). I originally wanted to see if Hollands (from Maryland) was still building frames and wanted one of his, but he's quit in the past few years. This is not going to be my 'ultimate' bike, otherwise I would have waited a year for it. Also, I'm not worried about straying from the 'big' names. I also don't want to do a fitting over the phone, since most small builders won't have any presence in an LBS. On the other hand, for my 'ultimate' bike, I was willing to fly to Italy for a fitting. So, 12XU, I really don't think you know who you are talking to. Some of the stuff you say is like preaching to the choir. The other stuff doesn't compute with why I went with Seven. And no, you won't disparage my purchase. Unfortunately there will always be those who have negative thoughts. Keep those for the really "BIG" names (TREK, Specialized, etc.). That's justifyable.

  9. #9
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nixage
    Unfortunately there will always be those who have negative thoughts. Keep those for the really "BIG" names (TREK, Specialized, etc.). That's justifyable.
    Not everybody can afford a $3000 frame. Keep your haughtiness to yourself, please.

    John Kerry rides a Seven. That is the best/worst marketing you could ever have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  10. #10
    Senior Member nixage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Not everybody can afford a $3000 frame. Keep your haughtiness to yourself, please.

    John Kerry rides a Seven. That is the best/worst marketing you could ever have.
    Ummm. Sorry if I came off that way. All I was doing is showing how much I like steel. There once was a time where I couldn't afford it either (I probably still shouldn't).

    I could care less what John Kerry does or doesn't as long as I'm not riding the same frame as W. I figure he rides a Trek. It would only make sense.

    Too many haters in this forum.

  11. #11
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly absntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I want to see this bike.

    Last summer, I realized that I wanted a bike that would be cross-compatible but could be stripped down to a plain fixed gear bike.

    Seng Chen's S&S'd vanilla is pretty much close to what I'd imagine a bike like that would be.

    Last edited by absntr; 02-22-07 at 12:26 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member nixage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absntr
    Personally, I want to see this bike.
    Last summer, I realized that I wanted a bike that would be cross-compatible but could be stripped down to a plain fixed gear bike.
    Seng Chen's C&C'd vanilla is pretty much close to what I'd imagine a bike like that would be.


    Very nice. I'm sure that cost a pretty penny. I'm going to fly to the San Jose show and hope to see some of his work there.

  13. #13
    jack of one or two trades Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Suburbia, CT
    My Bikes
    Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nixage
    Too many haters in this forum.
    Relax buddy, I was just trying to temper your hate on the mass-produced bikes. Here I thought including the smiley-face was a way to convey good-natured ribbing?

    Personally, the various famous/semi-famous custom bike-makers out there all strike an individual tone with me. The tone that Seven strikes is that of the older dude who just wants to spend an assload of money on a bike (no doubt in part influenced by Senator Kerry). This is just my gut reaction, and nothing more. Pedal on in good spirits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Irwin Goldstein
    Men should never ride bicycles. Riding should be banned and outlawed. It is
    the most irrational form of exercise I could ever bring to discussion.

  14. #14
    Senior Member nixage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Relax buddy, I was just trying to temper your hate on the mass-produced bikes. Here I thought including the smiley-face was a way to convey good-natured ribbing?

    Personally, the various famous/semi-famous custom bike-makers out there all strike an individual tone with me. The tone that Seven strikes is that of the older dude who just wants to spend an assload of money on a bike (no doubt in part influenced by Senator Kerry). This is just my gut reaction, and nothing more. Pedal on in good spirits.
    I know exactly what you are talking about and I feel the same way toward a lot of brand names. It's the same with everything though. People are just too lazy to go out and find what's out there. If it comes to music, movies, bicycle frames, etc. they would rather be spoon fed. I personally did a bit of research and it was because of reasons mentioned before that I went with Seven. I thought about a Gunnar, but didn't like their geometry and the shop I went to (although known for top end bikes) didn't really know what they were doing when it comes to fitting. I spent $75 and didn't put it toward anything, because I didn't feel comfortable. The shop I'm getting my seven from is super friendly and works with you. Fitting is done on a calfee fit bike and every time you have seven make a minor tweek to the dimensions they have you come back and test it out again. That's how it should be. I also like the fact that seven uses four different manufacturers tubes to get you the ride quality you want. Anyway, I'm rambling now.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    5,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nixage
    I know exactly what you are talking about and I feel the same way toward a lot of brand names. It's the same with everything though. People are just too lazy to go out and find what's out there. If it comes to music, movies, bicycle frames, etc.
    No the fact is the vast majority of cyclists are better served with a trek, specialized, cdale, giant... etc. Most people are proportioned pretty much the same and a cm here a cm there is best adjusted with the adjustable parts of a bike. The big brands provide a lot more value for the dollar unless you need something very unique. Otherwise all you get from seven et al is the prestige that comes with a brand name and spending a lot of money. Wasting money being different for difference sake is just as bad as being conformist cause you don't know any better.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had a bunch of money, I'd spend it on what I want, what I like, and what will make me happy.

    Not what a bunch of internet personalities think.
    trued 'till death

  17. #17
    Senior Member taras0000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Igneous Faction
    If I had a bunch of money, I'd spend it on what I want, what I like, and what will make me happy.

    Not what a bunch of internet personalities think.
    + 1
    Taras - :noun. 1. Typically an overweight has-been that can sometimes be seen pootling around a velodrome on an old Look KG 233.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    trek 6700 mtb, raleigh rush hour
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to throw this out there, but from what I've heard Seven has terrible customer service, and this was from a Seven dealer! Apparently they have a 6-8 week minimum turn around time on any kind of warranty issues. I hope it goes better than that for you, and enjoy the new bike.

  19. #19
    or tarckeemoon, depending marqueemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    the pesto of cities
    My Bikes
    Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer
    Posts
    7,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time don't tell anyone and just post the finished result. The same people who are knocking it now will drool over it.

  20. #20
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blu3d0g
    I just wanted to throw this out there, but from what I've heard Seven has terrible customer service, and this was from a Seven dealer! Apparently they have a 6-8 week minimum turn around time on any kind of warranty issues. I hope it goes better than that for you, and enjoy the new bike.
    Haha. WTG.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  21. #21
    Dismount Run Remount etc. 12XU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Some Latitude and Some Longitude
    My Bikes
    A couple customs and some beaters.
    Posts
    2,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marqueemoon
    Next time don't tell anyone and just post the finished result. The same people who are knocking it now will drool over it.
    Doubtful. An 8 week turnaround for a paintjob I can get on any production bike? Some angled panels and a stock font decal? Thanks, but I'm content with my Waterford and Mercian.

  22. #22
    Mogwai are the stars
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    78' Windsor Pro-Track, 84' Pinarello
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    Doubtful. An 8 week turnaround for a paintjob I can get on any production bike? Some angled panels and a stock font decal? Thanks, but I'm content with my Waterford and Mercian.
    I bet those bikes are sick. Why don't you go ride one of them, have some fun and stop ****ting on this fellows bike that hes obviously super pumped about. Nixage enjoy your bike, it sounds great... let us know how it rolls.

  23. #23
    hateful little monkey jim-bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    oakland, ca
    Posts
    5,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    ..full-on simpsons comic-book guy antics..
    Dude, what's your deal?
    Last edited by jim-bob; 02-23-07 at 09:20 PM.

  24. #24
    blacksheep the blemish
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland/Greendale
    My Bikes
    1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd
    Posts
    1,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    Doubtful. An 8 week turnaround for a paintjob I can get on any production bike? Some angled panels and a stock font decal? Thanks, but I'm content with my Waterford and Mercian.
    Paint takes a suprisingly long time to cure depending on process.

  25. #25
    Senior Member abeyance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has their thing. I am trying to convince my wife to get me a Sachs (waiting list spot) for my birthday.
    not banned anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •